1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

dillon vs other reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dugtrap, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dugtrap

dugtrap TS Member

I own a dillon sl 900. i have had it for over 12 years.. i own 4 other dillons. I don think the dillon sl900 is like the their other reloaders. the platoform shakes which makes the shell get out of alighnment which causes deformed crimps/shells I would like to sell it and buy a spolar..but they are so expensive new.. I know i should just brake down and buy one but trying to wait for a good used one. Anybody else have any experinces with there machines would really like to hear the bad about spolar..must be something?? besids the price. dillon or PW. thanks my fellow clay shooters!
  2. warren

warren Member

I switched from Dillon SL900 to an RCBS Grand and am not sorry it's not as fast but it's solid and doesn't get out of adjustment very consistant loads. The service is equal to Dillons too.

warren
  3. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Might try tightening the large allen bolt in the middle of the
    shell plate. If it gets loose, it will not index and lock up
    also the shell plate will tilt when seating primer. If this
    doesn't fix it, call Dillon - they will have the answer.
    Dillon 900 user since they came out.

Doyal
  4. Didreckson

Didreckson Member

I would love to provide you with some bad on my 2 Spolars...but honestly can't come up with anything for you. I have used them all, and just recently got a Mec 9000 automate setup to load "throw away" shells with. I like the mec a lot...but it is not my Spolars.

I have one hydraulic, one using PW electric drive. They are the "timex" of reloaders. The support from Carter, Dicksie or Robert is beyond great.
  5. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Active Member

I bought my Spolar in late 2008 and the counter shows nearly 125k shells. In that time and through that many shells, I have only had a couple of minor issues, which were immediately handled by the Spolars.

I had two SL 900s when I bought the Spolar. I sold both of them, then picked up another Dillon as a back-up. It just sits there, waiting to be used since the Spolar just keeps on running.

As to your Dillon, it sounds like Doyal may be correct. If the bolt is loose, then the Dillon will perform as you described. If that's not it, just call Dillon and they'll tell you how to fix it or you can just send it in for them to do it.

12 years should mean a lot of shells. I used to send my 550s in about every 4-5 years to let them check over the machines, add updates, etc.

Bob
  6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have the sl900 and a mec 9000h---both are great---Can't imagine anything better---I can load with both at a real fast pace---Why pay more---I bought both used and don't have more than $600.00 for both---You figure----
    George@SJB
  7. PatMiles

PatMiles Member

I've loaded on Dillon machines for the last 15 years (38 SC,40,45,9 & 223 on a 650). I bought a used SL-900 about a year ago. After doing some superficial cleaning and tuning it up it has run perfectly. I have no problem such as you describe. Loading at a reasonable cadence mine turns out loaded rounds that look like factory in all respects except they are not as clean.
    Is your bench solid and anchored, either by bolts or bags o' shot as mine is? I would suggest giving the good folks at Dillon a call((800)223-4570) and pose your problem to them.

Pat
  8. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

There's a guy on eBay who sells roller bearings to put under the bolt, above the shellplate, on Dillon 550's and 650's. It makes them significantly smoother and lets you tighten the bolt down just a tad more. Somebody on another forum reported getting the same sort of bearing from McMaster-Carr. Poke around - the modification is well worth it, and the price of the bearing alone from M-C is nothing.

The only reason I didn't look at the Dillon is that they don't offer .410 tooling.

Tony
  9. PatMiles

PatMiles Member

According to the good folks at Dillon, the 410 conversion presented engineering issues they did not want to tackle. I kept my MEC 9000 for 410 and have the conversions for 20 & 28 gauge.
    Having never loaded on anything but the Dillon and my MEC 9000's I can't compare the Dillon to Spolar or the others. If any of you gents want to sell your SL-900 I know a fellow who might be interested. PM me.

Pat
  10. thunder

thunder Member

My Dillon SL900 loads all my handicap loads and second shot of doubles load accuracy of powder drops is unbeleivable (my dillon is fantastic) my two Mec 9000H load my singles and double's first shot load (great loader).I also have a xl650 dillon for rifle and pistol loading, makes great bullets. Use a co ax for my magnum loads.

Had a Hornady 366 another great loader. Had a PW800+ and didn't care for it.

Never had a Spolar and probably never will as my shooting gets less and less. Plus I figure I have tried most and the ones I have now work great for me.
  11. goose2

goose2 Active Member

My first progressive loader was a Dillon. while it did make a reload I did not like it. It was way to clunky for me. The coat hanger sized linkages were a joke to say the least. I sent mine down the road quickly. Spolar is as good as it gets.
  12. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

dugtrap: Your having issues with you Dillon after 12 years? I have to question your mechanical abilities? I've made at least 100,000+ reloads on one of my Dillon SL900's, and other than a cleaning and typical adjustment every now and then it runs perfectly. But hey you have problems, so I'll give you $400.00 and you can ship it to me and I'll have it running great in about 30 minutes. Maybe you should try a MEC.
  13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Here is 2 reasons you don't need a Spolars---These will do all you will ever need unless you'r starting up a factory----You can probably get them both for less than $800.00 used and will last a lifetime---gL---George@SJB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing fancy but effective-----Mec 9000H and a Dillon SL 900 and a Dillon scale
    [​IMG]
  14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Not trying to put you down,but those are lousy looking crimps.
    CED
  15. goose2

goose2 Active Member

Pretty much says it all. Any loader will load but some load better. You want a perfect load then buy a Spolar. I never had a crimp look like these come out of my Spolar.
  16. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

oldtimer---They were on a Mec 500 from the 60s---Let me see yours----SJB
  17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Goose---Your right---they arent the best but not bad from a Mec 500 dated back to the 60s and with a few minor adjustments I could make them look as good as any loader but not necessary to me---How many spolars out there compared to Dillon and Mec loaders?
    I belong to two clubs and can't think of one guy with a spolar---I'm sure the spolar is a great loader buy why knock Mec and Dillon---JMO---SJB
  18. Redcobra

Redcobra Member

Who cares how a crimp looks as long as it shoots correctly. Let me know the next time you see a shoot off that compares crimps as part of the contest.
  19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Redcobra----Guess we should trade in our hardware to have a pretty crimp.----SJB
  20. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If Dillon made a 410 conversion, I probably would have tried one by now, but since they don't, I have no interest in loading on 2 different styles of press at a time.

I will say that the Spolar is the only loader that I've ever seen produce reloads that were indistinguishable visually from factory loads.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.