1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillon SL900 Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stokinpls, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Surely the Dillon guy asked this, but here goes. Put a fired, empty hull under the powder station. Pull the handle all the way down, observing the movement of the bar in the powder measure. Is the powder measure bar going all the way to the stop to dro the powder? If not you'll need to lower the powder measure die until it does (I've NEVER had to do this). If the measure is getting full travel to drop powder, now raise the handle and see if the "fail-safe" rod is returning the powder measure bar completely back the other direction to do the powder pickup. If not, the blue plastic "wing nut" needs to be tightened until it does.

It sounds like the powder is still dropping long after the hull is supposed to be charged and it's started moving over to the wad/shot station. An obstruction in the powder funnel can cause this and this is what the Dillon guy was chasing. Another thing could be a "caky" powder. I've had some lots of my favorite powder do this. If you were lucky enough to get one of these lots you could NEVER, leave it sit in the measure between loading sessions, and ALWAYS shake the keg up good before filling the measure. Just out of curiosity, what brand/charge of powder are you throwing? Good luck.

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

This was one of 3 reasons why I sold my Dillon and now own P/W with none of the problems I had with Dillon.

3. razor

razor TS Member

i have problems with green dot dribbing after the turret starts to rotate to the next station also i asked a friend who has one {dillon} and he also said only with greendot. i found that i just have to slow down on the return stroke. i have loaded many different powders and right now i just went to claydot to try and the only powder that dribbles is greendot. razor

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Gary, before you get too far, go back and reread my original answer after I made some corrections. I had the right idea, but had the functions of the powder measure reversed. Sorry.

I load Green Dot through mine as well and though I haven't had this problem I have another tweak for you. When bringing the handle down, hit the bottom of the stroke twice. This gives another jolt (and about 1 second longer)for the powder to finish dropping. It can also benefit the primer drop consistency as well. After you get the rythmn (Down-clunk-clunk-up-load wad-repeat) you'll be able to run the Dillon out of components in no time. ;-)

Hope this was helpful. Better luck.

5. 27 YARDS

27 YARDS TS Member

I have owned a Dillion for about six years and had to do a little machine work of my own..that expander that goes into the shell as the powder is dropped, may be chrome on the outside but it is made out of potmetal..It is very inconsistant in the way the inside is formed. I took a carbide drill bit thatjust fit the same diameter and reamed out the rough spots. For me the problem was solved...But, a good solid ground is criticle to keep the static electricity down. Try this and see if it works...I have made mention of this to Dillion and they said they would look into it....Best of luck and Good Shooting...Bruce

6. 1in91

1in91 TS Member

Hi Gary,
    Here is what worked for me.
    On page 15 there is an exploded view of the Slotted Bellcrank # 17839.
    Loosen the Bellcrank screw # 13904 and then add a jam nut to tighten, leaving the Bellcrank to return as fast as possible.
    Worked for me.
    Fred Kaschak

7. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Gary, another good trick is to replace the powder drop tube with a 20ga tube. That cured all my problems.

Cheers,

George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dillon jam nut for sale

dillon sl900 problems

problems metering powder with dillon sl900
shot jam on dillon sl900