1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillon SL900 leaks shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Advocate33, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Advocate33

Advocate33 TS Member

Have used a Dillon sl900 now for several months and after the initial learning curve frustration, it has worked great. Have been loading 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads. Probably 3-4000 without an issue. However, I just started to load some 1 1/8 oz loads. Sometimes the shot bar goes out too far exposing a little bit of the bottom opening so that a few pellets fall out. If you pull the handle slower, that seems to cure that problem but then, after the shot has dropped and the shell is lowered, as the shot bar returns, it will drop a few pellets through the shot tube on the way back as if it did not drop all of them on the way out and a few were left on the way back. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

I would call Dillon customer service

3. N2deep

N2deep Member

+1 on the call to Dillon. I own a couple of Dillon loaders and their service is the best I have ever experienced. In fact they sent a few replacement parts to me for stuff that I broke and they were aware that it was my fault,, like I said,, second to none..

Art..

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's some things to try.

1. Take look at the left side of the shot measure. Is the tiny, little white plastic bushing (1/4" square with a hole in it)that rides in the shot bar slot still present? I have seen these jump out of there and hide themselves on the floor. What you end up with is a shot measure that sorta works, but does does strange, erratic drops and sometimes late drops.

2. WITHOUT any shot on the loader, take a fired hull and stick your current wad into it. Slip it into position on position 3 under the shot measure. Now lower the handle completely and observe the shot bar to see if it has been completely pushed over to the "drop" stop. If it doesn't go all the way you may need to lower the shot measure a thread or two.

3. Now raise the handle completely (like you would if you were priming) and observe the shot measure to see if the Fail-Safe rod is pulling the shot bar all the way to the "fill" stop. If it doesn't, it means the blue wingnut on the fail-safe rod has unwound itself (it will do this on both measures)and needs to be retightened.

These two stops prevent the bars (both shot and powder) from going too far as you were suspecting. If you look at the bottom side of the bar you may see a small gap between the adjuster and the body. From what I've seen I don't believe it's possible to adjust it enough for it to ever get under the shot reservoir.

It's possible a thread off of a shot bag may have migrated all the way to the shot bar so check that out as well. I don't think you're too far from a solution. Hope between this and calling Dillon you'll be back in business. Good luck

Bob Falfa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.