1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillon SL 900 Primer Feed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jkortte, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkortte

jkortte Member

Have had sl900 with both 12 and 20 kits. Would be a great machine if I could get a primer to drop or drop straight every time. Have sent it back to dillon, no help. Have chamfered the drop hole. That helped a little. Have replaced the cover with magnet. Have adjusted the stop for the slider to slide just past the drop hole. Have cleaned, polished and waxed the slide try. The tray looks loose to me. It wobbles back and forth and hits the shell drop tube. Is this normal? Any other ideas welcome. Thanks John

2. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

John , I had the same problem when I slowed and smoothed out my pull on the cycling arm it went away . I was trying to go too fast and jerky you might give it a try it was the first thing the Dillon rep tried to tell me but I couldn't believe it was my fault tell I read about another gentleman having the same problem on this site now with smooth operation life is good. Good Luck Jay

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Sometimes you have to slow down to speed up.

Be smooth both on the way down and on the way back up. You'd be surprised on how the quality of your reloads will get better.

ss

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Learn to do the "Dillon Double-Bump". When you bottom the handle, pick it up ever so slightly and bottom the handle again. It doesn't slow you down much at all, the primer will drop, all the powder will drop, all the shot will drop and you're ready for another wad. I use this on my 550s too when I'm loading rifle calibers and I want to make sure all of the powder makes it through the neck. Good luck.

5. jkortte

jkortte Member

I will try the double bump method, I can't go any slower than I am or I would be going backwards. Thanks.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

At the bottom of the drop tube there is a lip. When the unit is in the compressed mode there should be .080 between the top of lip and the bottom of the casing. There is an adjusting screw that will adjust the drop tube. Also, I have found WW 209's and Fed 209's do not drop as smoothly as Fiochi or Cheddites. I have not tried Remington 209's. When you get to the compressed mode, pause for a nano-second you will hear the primer drop. Smooth movements will make your life easier., and I have made 100,000+ shells on my two SL900 machines. Clean your primer tray with alcohol and put a dab of graphite on the plate. Put some graphite down the tube with a cotton swab.Lube the tube from the back side. Little things make a difference. I seldom have a problem now. You must learn how to make smooth movements. Speed comes with smoothness. I hope this helps.

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I've put many 1000's of rounds thru mine and in 8 plus years "knock on wood" and have never had a problem. I think their customer service is second to none. Any spring or part I needed was dropped in the mail and recieved in a few days with no cost. After I had used it for many years i called the company and asked if it could be re-furbished. They sent me a shipping label that hey paid for, I boxed the loader up and sent it to them with their paid shipping label. The re-furbished it and sent it back at their cost and it looked and loaded like it was brand new. The price to re-furbish it was $60.00. Well worth the many years of service I had with this machine. I'd buy another SL900 in a heart beat.

8. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

A very small (tiny) amount of grease needs to be applied to the primer assembly. Owners manual has the application points. I wipe off the grease every third reloading session (1,500-2,000 rounds) and re-apply. No problems since I started doing that. I've had the same machine for 13 years now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dillon sl 900 primer slide