1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillon SL 900 Dropping Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kerz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Kerz

Kerz Member

anyone had issues with a Dillon 900 spilling shot onto loading table? My loader drops a few pellets on each cycle. This ends up on the bench but more importantly on the shell plate. The shot will eventually interfere with station one/empty hull entering the shell plate. Dillon did send me a new housing for the shot charge bar but did not fix the problem.
    Vic

2. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing. I think it is a case of a shot or two lodging somewhere in the shot drop housing and then getting dislodged and falling out as the shell plate is rotated on the upstroke of the machine. A very minor annoyance compared to the accidental shot spillages I would have on my MEC 9000's.

Pat

3. bgf

bgf Active Member

Why don't you ask the 'powers that be'. Call Dillon...it's free and great suggestions.

Bernie

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Is the little square, white, plastic donut (bell crank cube) still where it's supposed to be (look at the left side of the shot measure - it slides up and down in the slot in the shot bar)? I have seen these fall out if the wavy washer allen bolt isn't tightened correctly. This makes for erratic filling and dumping. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

5. StevenZ

StevenZ Member

While Dillon warns about short stroking the shot bar, I've found that adjusting the screw that sets the column height (or wad depth/pressure) pn 10641 slightly higher so the square cube in the shot bar STOPS about 1/16" of an inch from full travel, seems to eliminate the "stray pellet" problem.

I think (while I can't prove it) the shot cavity in the shot bar over travels the opening to the drop tube and when the shot bar is retracted on the down stroke, a pellet or two that may have over travelled the drop tube and didn't fall, gets drug back over and then drops.

6. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

i was having the same problem with my powder bar, (i know this not the same bar but...) after each pull i was getting a few grains of powder falling on the shell plate, i tryed dryer sheets and cleaning and it would always do it, i made a homemade micrometer powder bar this week end, and i used my new extra powder bar when making it, well low and behold....no more powder falling on the machine, this has nothing to do with my modification( i think) it was the new powder bar, but i must agree with stokinpls and nsxer about getting a good clean travel on the bar that it moves, do you have the extra shot bar bell crank assembly, you could try insalling it to see if the fresh return spring on the bellcrank helps, good luck. P.S. dillion let me down when i fisrt had an issue with my machine, i think they are getting a little overworked these days.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

As suggested, the white plastic slider on the charge bar is most likely the problem. Check it and adjust the screw or replace, they do wear out. Dillon will send you a couple if requested. I've replaced it maybe every 25,000 rounds. Likewise, for the powder side.

8. Kerz

Kerz Member

All,
    Many thanks for the suggestions. Taking your advise, I'll check and adjust as indicated. BTW, Lee (customer service) at Dillon said I would just have to live with it. Commenting about a round hole vs square. Surprised me since their service has always been great.

9. StevenZ

StevenZ Member

The opening of the drop tube is round...the cavity of the shot bar is effectively square. I think he's referring to the same thing I was eluding to above.

10. Kerz

Kerz Member

Steven, Yes sir you are correct. My note Dillon is suggesting they make both square.

11. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

KERZ, are you using the reduced shot bar? if yes i found the answer, i sent you a PM with the link, Chris

12. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I sometimes go to fast, after I push down. When I bring the handle up to fast I spill a few pellets coming out of the tube

13. StevenZ

StevenZ Member

Fast forward to about 27:00 mark in the video.

14. Kerz

Kerz Member

All
    See the note I just could back from Dillon. I guess the guy I talked to was just having a bad day. Anyway looks like excellent news!

"We have a new shot drop tube for your shot dispenser, on the way; as well we're sending parts for the return rod, the tension of the rod is critical."

Thank you,

Dillon Precision Products, Inc.

Please see the following note from Dillon. Great news:

15. PatMiles

Kerz,

Did you get the name of the second gentleman you talked to at Dillon who told you about the new shot drop tube?

Pat

16. Kerz

Kerz Member

Pat
    No it came back as a response to my "Contact Us" note. Signed as Dillon Precision.
    Vic

17. Advocate33

Advocate33 TS Member

I had the same problem of dropping shot. The solution was the little white plastic square in the bellcrank had disappeared. Strongly agree with those who have suggested this as the problem and the colution.

18. PatMiles

Vic,

PM inbound.

Pat

Search tags for this page
dillion900 shotbar adjustment
dillon sl900 shotbar

sl900 shot dispenser bell crank asssembly dillon precision