1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillon Service

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pocatello, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Periodically there will be a new thread posted here on "Which reloader should I buy?". Many responders advocate MEC, Spolar, PW, and RCBS. A few, including myself, have spoken up for Dillon. The only ones I have ever used are a MEC 600 Jr, and my Dillon SL-900. I bought the Dillon four or five years ago from Gene Batchelar after he posted it for sale on this site. If I remember correctly, he no longer had the original shipping containers, so called Dillon, and they sent him a new set, free of charge. After a few months I had an issue or two arise, so called their 1-800 service line to ask for help. I explained that I was not the original owner, but their response was "It doesn't matter, you're the owner, it's covered under our 'No BS' service policy". They registered me as the owner, sent me an owner's manual, sent me any parts I needed, all without charge, even for postage. This happened a couple of more times over the ensuing years, always with a knowledgeable person available on the 1-800 line to help me with any issues, and any parts needed supplied without question, no charge.

Recently I developed some issues I could not resolve, with the hulls hanging up in the hull feeder's drop tube, the hull feeder motor running slow when starting, and a couple of other issues. I called the service line and asked permission to send it back for an overhaul. I was given a service order number, and packed it up to send back. Yesterday I received it back, and reinstalled it on my workbench. It now works flawlessly, with the motor replaced and a total of $248 worth of parts installed. At the bottom of the list it has

Total: $248

Applied Credit: $248

Paid in Full

In short, my only cost was the approximately $45 I paid to ship it to the factory. All the rest - the labor, the parts, the return shipping, was on their dime, for a reloader I did not buy from them, and was at least six years old and on which I have loaded tens of thousands of shells.

It's an interesting contrast to Whiz's recent story about the many hours he spends helping his PW customers because the PW factory can't or won't. It's an interesting contrast to Spolar's parts kit that their customers pay for. I read stories here of how PW makes great crimps. So does my Dillon. I read how Spolar is very fast. So is my Dillon - I can load 100 in under 8 minutes without rushing at all. I don't read many stories about how the others have a lifetime, No BS warranty and service policy. Dillon does, and they live up to it.

2. T/C

T/C TS Member

If only the rest of the world ran as good as Dillon. I have been using 2 of their reloaders for the past 25 years, one set up for handgun the other for rifle. Having very few problems with either, but when I did a phone call was all it ever took to get me going again, and never, ever a charge for a part if I needed it. Very, very few companies left in this world like Dillon. T.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I agree with everything "Pocatello" has said. I have two SL-900 loaders. The first I bought new when they first came out, the other I bought used 3 years ago. Every time I have had a problem of either machine, the part was on my machine in two days. The best service of any company I've ever done business with. I have made many tens of thousands of reloads on these machines, with seldom a problem that was not my fault.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't have Dillon's shotshell loader but I do have 15 years experience with a 550B. All of my dealings with Dillon have gone exactly as Pocatello describes. The no BS policy is so refreshing, wish all companies ran that way.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I loaded metallic cartridges for a good many years on a Dillon 550B. The only time I needed to even call them was to get more gear to expand my ability to load several cartridges. Flawless. For most of those years, I begged Dillon to get going on a shot shell loader and the answer each time was first, "We're working on it." and later, "We're close but until it's a Dillon, we'll keep working on it!" I had a MEC Grabber through all that and even added the 9000H to my gear just before the Dillon came out so I simply have no need to change. Their "No BS Policy" and "No wiggle words" philosophy is outstanding but I've yet to see the SL 900 at work. If I had to start from scratch again, I'd probably lean toward the Dillon based only on experience.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. ouch

ouch Member

I've loaded many thousand rounds on several Dillon presses and never had a problem, A few times needed a part like a depriming pin or something small which they shipped free and fast.

However I purchased a digital scale, Back when they were covered by the no BS warranty, When it failed I called, They said they switched suppliers of scales and couldn't help me. I was/am disapointed about that. Richard

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

True enough, Richard, but I can understand that the NO BS Warranty on mechanical gear you make yourself is one heck of a lot different with an electronic gizmo from a supplier. I still have their digital scale and it's the favorite over a brand new Pac I thought I needed.....Bob Dodd

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

The no BS warranty does not apply to their 1050. It is their "commercial" machine.

The motor on my case feeder died and I had to buy a new one.

I have four of their metallic loaders but ditched the SL900. It could not perform like the PW. I sent the head in to have it adjusted but in the end I gave up on it.

In an ideal world, PW would have Dillon customer service (and I would date Christy Brinkley).

Don

9. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have had very good luck with my Dillon and would buy another in a heartbeat. FWIW when I was trying to decide what reloader to buy I read every post I could find about the Dillon. I read many by John Malcolm praising the Dillon. Later I read that he had sold it to buy a Spolar and suddenly the Dillon wasn't as good as he had been saying. Nevertheless I have had good luck with mine and the few replacement parts I needed due to my own mistakes never cost me a dime. I think people tend to support what they own as no one wants to admit they have anything but the best.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Bridger,
    Do not be too harsh on Mr. Malcolm.

Like many others, the "best" machine is the "best" machine they have ever owned/used.

I really liked my Dillon 650 until I got a 1050. I really liked my Jeep Grand Cherokee until I got a Mercedes. I really liked by Beretta until I got a K-80. ETC.

BUT - I really hated my MEC and got a PW.

Don

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Don, according to the parts list they sent me, the motor on the case feeder was replaced, no charge to me. When I was talking to the guy on the phone line, he did say that Dillon needed the motor back so they could get credit for it from the manufacturer. Again, the only thing I have ever paid for was the shipping to send it back to Dillon. I don't know about a parts kit - anything I've ever needed, I give them the part number, and it arrives in the mail a few days later, no charge.

12. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Have a SL900 and 550 that have had for years. Called Dillon on several
    occasions when had problem. Never a charge for broken parts and always
    more than willing to help. Can't understand anyone having problems with
    Dillon products or service.

Doyal

13. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

I love my two Dillon 650's (one small primer, one large), and I agree that their customer service is second to none. That said, I've also had much the same sort of service from RCBS and Redding, and while Bonanza couldn't help me the one time I called, they certainly tried.

I would have been looking at the Dillon 900 except for one thing: I needed a 4-gauge loader, and they do not offer a .410 conversion. End of story, for me. Yes, the case-activated powder and shot drops would be nice. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard the shot pouring onto the loader (beside the one time I began pouring shot in without checking to make sure the bloody thing wasn't set to 'drain'!), and I'm tired of picking up shot one by one with needle-nose pliers from various places.

But outside of my own failures (and they are my own, not the machine's), I love my P-W. Enough to have one at each house (she-who-must-be-obeyed wanted a place out of the summer heat in Tucson). I'd probably love a Spolar even more, but I just can't justify - for me - the extra cost. Perhaps if I win Powerball . . .

Tony

14. lostbrd

lostbrd Member

I have loaded on my 900 for 6-7 years without any real problems. Recently I have been having a problem with the hulls tipping as they enter the first station. Dillon has always been great as far as sending out replacement parts and such, but they are unable to help me with this problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem ? I have cleaned and lubed the loader as instructed but still have the issue. It only started in the last 30 to 40 thousand loads.

thanks

Jason Hill

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

lostbrd: I've had that problem. Clean the ramp with carb cleaner then (light)oil. Also, If the device that pushes the shell in is dirty it will stick to the shell resulting in a miss alinement. Just like any machine, you've got to keep them clean and lubed.

16. berettaugb

berettaugb TS Member

Dillon service and products ina word---------SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Jason, that was one of the problems I was having, and the guy on the phone described a fix similar to what shot410ga describes. I would not have sent mine in except for the problem with the drop tube and the motor. It looks like what they did to fix the drop tube problem was replace the funnel on the upper end (the one holding the shutoff switch for the motor). They replaced the motor. They also fixed the tipping problem - I had included it in my list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.