1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillon question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bridger, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have been generally pleased with my Dillon reloader but there is one annoying problem that I have never been able to resolve. I often get hulls caught on an angle as the hull is dropping from the revolving disc into the opening for the plastic funnel. The hull ends up wedged between the casefeed bowl and the disc.It happens less often with only a few hulls in the bowl but I am not overloading it with too many hulls. The funnel and drop tube is straight. Dillon has not been able to help and seem mystified. They even sent me a different disc thinking the one I had was out of spec, it made no difference. Does this ever happen to anyone else? Any suggestions? Thanks

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I've battled that problem too. It get's worse the more hulls are in the bowl. I've often wondered if slowing down (like with a rheostat) the disc motor would help. It seems like the hull begins to drop, but the disc keeps moving and traps the hull against the side of the opening. I usually notice it when the empties start making that thunking sound when the tube's about empty. I'll bet someone has figured this out.

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I too have the same problem but not enough for me to be to worried about it. I just had my Dillon completely refurbished at a great deal. I contacted them and they sent me a shipping label, I sent it out at their expense, they completely refurbished it and sent it back. All for a whooping $60.00. Comes back like the day I got it. Some 10 years ago and literally loading 10's of 1000's of shells.

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have the same problem---just don't over load it with empties--100 or so is fine---usualy need a break after 50 or so---I just throw in another 50---If one gets stuck just pull it out---problem solved---sjb---

5. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

It is an issue but not so bad. Like the others, the fewer the shells the less it seems to happen.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You will find 80 empties is best, unless you've got no shells in the drop tube, then you can put in 85 empties. Anything more than that will result in a stuck shell at the drop or popping a shell out of the bowl.

7. razor

razor TS Member

i agree with everyone above, i also have to add that new shells drop down better than the ones that have been reloaded many times and the best ones are the cheap TOP GUNS OR ESTATES for some reason they don't give a problem at all. razor

8. Gil

Gil Member

I had the same problem when I first got my Dillon. I solved the problem by limiting my empties to a max of 75. If I went over by 5-10 I had problems. I never solved the primer problem of having to fill the primer tray out of sequence with the empties. George Miller

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

It happens to mine too but not often enough to matter. I just turn off the power switch and rotate the hull platen by hand.

The other minor problem is that at the end of the drop tube the shell sometimes doesn't feed properly. I've never been able to fix this but I'm sure a call to Dillon would do the trick.

10. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I just picked up another here to use alongside my Spolar.

I noticed that the plate in the casefeeder moves MUCH more slowly than the old ones (this is a pretty new model).

I had to fix a couple of minor things that were out of adjustment, but it took just a few minutes.

I also notice that this one loads both Remington and AA (old and HS) interchangeably without any change
    in the adjustments. My old ones would not. I had to make changes if I switched from AAHS to Remingtons.

I like this new one. I want to pick up some Federal cases and see if they will do the same thing-load without making any changes.

Bob

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Since the SL 900 is basically a 650 XL, the metallic press must have the case feeder stabilized so it does not wobble as the press is operated. It will throw a fit, and do the same thing your shotshell press is doing until this is addressed.

The picture shows stabilizing rods that hold the feeder still while press is operated. This stopped feeding problems cold.

As a test, turn the feeder on with the feed tube off, and have something to catch the brass. Run feeder without operating press. If you have no misfeeds, feel free to copy my fix. Screen door adjusters found at Home Depot cost about six bucks. Takes about 10 minutes to install. Tighten the rods until feeder support tube is secure and does not wobble.

12. Bridger

Bridger Member

I tried the brace but it didn't help. It reduces the vibration but doesn't eliminate it. I can get probably no more than 50 hulls in the case feeder or it will start jamming. That's not a huge issue, just annoying. Since Dillon has apparently slowed down the speed of the disc on newer machines, it would appear that is the best method to cure this problem. That seems to be the problem on mine as the disc is turning too fast to allow the hull to drop completely into the funnel. If you have too many hulls they just push up against each other and the jam occurs. I guess if it bothers me enough I'll get a rheostat and slow it down and see if that will solve it. Funny how Dillon seem surprised when I mentioned it to them on 3 or 4 occasions as they seemed to think I was the only one that ever had this sort of a problem. Other than that their service is excellent and I have been pleased with their shotshell reloader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.