1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DILLON PRESS PRIMER FEED PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smp005, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smp005

smp005 Member

I love my Dillon SL900 press but lately I've been having problems with it not consistently feeding primers - the primers seem to bunch up and not slip into the notch on the feeder slide..

Anyone have any words of wisdom? I called Dillon and they said there are no adjustments but to make sure the tray is clean and slippery (it is..)

I sent them an email today since I didn't have 45min to wait on hold - they seem really busy nowadays - wouldn't know why.... :)

Scott

2. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Assuming all the allen-type fasteners are tight and the slide is working freely, then there are only a couple of things I can think of.

First could be the top of the tray pressing down unevenly and interfering with the primers. Are all three of the "nuts" equally tight but only "finger tight?"

If so, then it's gotta be the tray, I'd think. Rubbing alcohol is the best I have ever found to clean the Dillon primer tray. I would make sure that I liberally cleaned it and let it dry. Then try a NEW box of primers and see if they feed.

Good luck.

Bob

3. Roc'n C

Roc'n C TS Member

Tak the tray off amd use a car wax like mothers, it will help with the feeding and bunching problem, best of luck they are great machine, and will kick out shells at a very fast rate
    Chuck

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Did you lose the small round magnet that sits on the top of the plastic primer tray cover near the notch in the primer slide? It's what pulls the primers down into the notch, one at a time. Mine fell off once and it screwed up the primer feeding just as you describe. I don't see the magnet in the parts list, but if you have your instruction manual the magnet is clearly visible in Fig. 80, page 37 (in my catalog), just about 11 o'clock on the circle around the primer. In the online pdf catalog, it's Fig 80, page 35. The magnet looks like a little hat.

5. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

I had some feed problems similar to what you describe. So, after talking to Dillon i backed off the three thumb screws a quarter turn from finger tight and things settled down. Also like in the above post, make sure the magnet is in place.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Take the top off, then clean with carb spray. reoil the whole unit (greese the cam), clean the tray with alcohol. Finger tight on the thumb screws. Adjust the set screw to .080. Then use Cheddites or Fio 616's. They seem to work better (constant size), than Federals or AA primers (inconstant size). I've never tried Remington.

7. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Use graphite to lubricate anyplace where the primers slide. You want to stay with dry lubricant. They sell little tubes of graphite in the lock dept of Lowes or Home Depot. Billy

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I forgot the graphite, on the tray. Brownell's sells a powdered type. It works great

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

As mentioned the magnet is essential. If that is in place, also as mentioned, a good application of car wax does wonders.

I have found the primer feed to be very reliable over many years so something isn't quite right with yours.

10. smp005

smp005 Member

Pocatello - You are a genius!!!!!

I wondered where that magnet was supposed to go!!!

I'm surprised the Dillon tech didn't ask me that.. I knew someone on here had to have experienced the same problem I'm having.

Thanks everyone!!

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Glad to be of help.

12. Zapper

Zapper TS Member

Scott There is a adjustment for the primer feed mechanism Look on page 48 item # 7 of your instruction manual. For making your primer tray slippery use a stainless steel [ cleaner/polisher ] The one I use is called Misty and performs excellent. I have run over 5 tons of lead thru my Dillon and it performs very well

AL

13. Zapper

Zapper TS Member

Scott There is a adjustment for the primer feed mechanism Look on page 48 item # 7 of your instruction manual. For making your primer tray slippery use a stainless steel [ cleaner/polisher ] The one I use is called Misty and performs excellent. I have run over 5 tons of lead thru my Dillon and it performs very well

AL

14. Zapper

Zapper TS Member

AL

15. Zapper

Zapper TS Member

AL

16. smp005

smp005 Member

It works!!!!! Amazing what one little magnet will do!!!!

Now it truly IS the greatest thing since sliced bread (except maybe my MX2000) :)

Pocatello - If you ever make it to my range, the first 100 targets are on me!!!

Scott

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Scott, to do that I'd need to know where your range is, but again, glad to be of help.

18. smp005

smp005 Member

You have a good point...

Northeast Ohio - Copley Trap Range or North Lawrence Trap range

(I run both of them...)

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dillion 900 primer feeder
dillon 900 primer feeding problems
dillon primer feed problems