1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Dillon 900 vs. MEC 9000

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mbm5770, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbm5770

mbm5770 TS Member

Looking for buy a new press. Looking for honest pro's and con's for each. Thanks Bryan
  2. John 53

John 53 TS Member

Everyone likes what they personally use, so all answers are a bit biased. For the price, I do not think you can beat the MEC. If you have a family history of arthritis, go ahead and get the hydraulic or electric. Once you get arthritis, you will be grateful for the help. I use a 9000H, and really enjoy it. (Had to sell the 9000 G because of the arthritis)
  3. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Bryan,

I have had both loaders! I currently load on the SL900. You can't compare the 2. No bushings with the dillon. You can adjust both the shot and the powder measures to exactly what you want. The production on a Dillon is impressive. You hear people complain all the time that they have to stop and fill the hoppers all the time with the Dillon! DUH! Look in your loaded shell bin. You just loaded a boat load of shells in hardly any time at all. The Dillon is built like a tank. No beaded chains to activate your primer drop, no stamped parts to bend and fight with. Once you load several hundred rounds on a Dillon you will be a firm believer. You have to have the hull feeder! It makes loading a breeze. I also have a P/W 900. They load a very pretty looking shell, but I can load twice the shells with half the effort with the Dillon.

pm if you have any questions!

Ed
  4. JDEERE

JDEERE TS Member

Bryan, I have had both presses also. The Mec with hydraulics is a much better machine. Dillon makes a great reloader for pistol and rifle, NOT shotshells. Shannon
  5. jim brown

jim brown Active Member

I had one of the first Dillons. Switched to a MEC 9000 because I travel and don't have space for a Dillon. Compared to a Dillon the MEC is a cheap piece of junk that breaks all the time. The real kicker is they charge an arm and leg for replacement parts that shouldn't have broken in the first place. If I had room for it I would throw the MEC away and buy another Dillon in a heartbeat.

jim brown
  6. build4u

build4u TS Member

I have a couple of Dillon Sl-900s no stamped steel and they are solid. The comparison is not fair at the price spread. I have multiple tool heads set up for different loads and gauge. You can change quickly or if the components and ga. are similar you can just get spare shot bars and powder bars. I would never ever go back to not having a case feeder. You have to be more mechanicaly inclined to set the Dillon up correctly and once in while a good cleaning and relube is needed. The Dillon seats the primer on the backstroke so you can feel it seat. The primer system can be a little touchy, it needs to be kept clean and lubed. I did a little tuning on mine which helped a lot. Mine works way better with Winchester than with STS primers in both presses. My first one is 11 years old without breaking down once. The other is new. Without trying to fly you can make a hundred rounds in 7 to 8 minutes. It drops rounds into a bin that will hold at least 300. It seems from some videos I have seen videos that some presses do not deal with the finished rounds as well. I made my powder hoppers larger in the 12 ga. machine years ago and now a bigger one is available after market for like 16.00.
  7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have several Dillon metallic presses,2 650 & a 550. No shotgun presses. Have loaded on MEC for 40+ years. They are the best if you have a lot adiffert hulls. I can go from STS to paper to AA to 6 point Rio in just a few minutes. I have loaded 10,000's of thousands in 12,16,20,28 & 410 on my presses. Very few broken parts. 3-4 collets & 1 piece up top that carries the dies. A chain once. Very easy adjustments once you learn the machine. I also like the older MEC,not a fan of the 9000. My main machine is one of the earliest 76 Hydros. Gave $200 for it. I agree about arthritis & am in the procees of converting my 20 Grabber to Hydro.

8. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

Have worn out a MEC 650 and 2 Pacific 366's. Have Dillon metallic loaders and so got a 900 - NO REGRETS.

Loading shotgun shells has so many human variables that you can't easily compare presses between different users. If you have friends with the respective presses, go give them a try. There's no comparison, in my opinion. You may feel differently.

One thing you'll not have a problem with on the Dillon is warranty issues or parts replacement. We've needed some repair and replacement parts, they send it out fast and no questions asked. I have nothing bad to say about MEC, or Hornady, or P/W . . . but I'm a Dillon believer.
  9. PatMiles

PatMiles Member

I've reloaded pistol cartridges on a Dillon 650 for over a dozen years. As stated above Dillon is a fantastic machine. Starting into trap and skeet I bought four used MEC 9000's for less than a new Dillon SL-900 would cost. The MEC's had me tearing my hair out for a while but as I had never loaded for shotgun it was understandable. I enjoyed tuning up the MEC's and now they run fine with a glitch every once in a while.
    That being said I ran onto a smoking deal on a 900 and wasted no time buying it. I've spent a couple of hours going over the 900 and in all honesty it is everything I thought it would be given my long history with Dillon. A solid, well thought out machine that is just a joy to behold. The "No BS" warranty offered by Dillon is a huge plus and yes I have used it several times with parts on my 650.
    Given the above info regarding both manufacturers I'll be honest in saying that comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges given the price points. For what the Dillon cost new (with the hull feeder) a person could almost buy three new MECs. This is because the MECs are a stamped steel parts reloader while the Dillon is a seriously engineered machine.
    You'll have to decide which one is for you and consider the initial investment. Depending on how deep your pockets are you can't go wrong with either machine.

Pat
  10. quartering

quartering Active Member

they all reload a fine shell. one of them just happens to reload a fine shell pdq! mike needs to update his minigun video library
  11. shot410ga

shot410ga TS Member

I don't think one can compare the two machines (apples & oranges). I've owned the Mec and still own a Dillon. which is about twice the cost. But, then you get what you pay for. Perhaps that's why Dillon has a lifetime transferable warranty, and Mec does not. After many, many thousands of shells on the Dillon's (2) very few issues, once I learned how to use them. The Mec's I owned always had issues, and broken parts. I sold one Dillon and purchased a PW 800+ electric drive due to bad shoulders. But, if Dillon had an electric drive, I'd sell the PW in a heartbeat and buy another Dillon.
  12. deadnout

deadnout Member

ive used mec reloaders for 40 yrs. ive got 2 dillon presses. a 200at and 550b they work great. never used a dillon 900. ive had no parts problems with the mec's other then what problems i caused. i bought a 9000 h 3 months ago and it has run great once i got all the adjustments set. i just bought a used p/w 900 e. havent run any loads through it yet but compared to the mec this thing is built like a tank.

id suggest going around and looking at all options before buying. see what your friends are using and try them if you can.
  13. Bob_K

Bob_K Active Member

Last I heard, Dillon cannot do .410.
  14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski TS Member

Had both; like MEC.
  15. surfcitydude

surfcitydude TS Member

I also have loaded on both brands of reloaders. The Dillon is well made and weighs a ton BUT it is also REALLY BIG and TALL and costs twice what a MEC costs. For what you pay for a Dillon, you can have 2 MECs in different gauges that will last just as long, and turn out shells that are near perfect. There is no comparison on the quality of the reload between these 2 machines. Both do an excellent job. For my $$$, the MEC is the only way to go. If money is no concern, get a Spolar but once again, no difference in the looks or performance of the ammo.
  16. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Well If you want a Mec by all means buy it but the Dillon will make more shells, make them easier, with less trouble and in shorter time. The Mec is heavy ga. sheet metal and the dillon has cast frame that is machined and all the parts are heavy duty. With the shell feeder it will hold from 80 to a 100 hulls, 25# of shot, enough powder to load a flat of shells and a hundred primers. If you want more powder ( Whiz White ) had larger powder tubes that you could adapt to the Dillon with very little work. I have a Mec 9000H and a Dillon. Believe me there is no comparison between the two. The one thing you need to be mechanical minded to own a Dillon. About 400 dollars difference in money and about $1000 dollars difference in Quality.

Dave
  17. 870

870 Active Member

Just get whichever you feel better about, they are both fine. I don't put much weight on the cast frame issue, let's face it, these things don't break down much in normal usage, (and I only say that because of things I've seen posted here where I can't figure out how anybody can break these parts, but it seems there is always someone out there that can break anything!)

I've had a MEC 9000G for a long time. Replaced the piston or whatever you call it that rotates the plate, wad fingers maybe. That's about it. It does not hold any hulls, (EDIT: thanks Jim, my mistate, not close to 25 lbs) of shot, enough powder to load a flat of shells, and 200 primers. Finished product is just as good. Costs a lot less.
  18. jim brown

jim brown Active Member

MEC that holds 25# of shot???

jim brown
  19. mbm5770

mbm5770 TS Member

Thanks everyone for your advise and opinions. Im gonna spend the money and get the Dillon. I figure its kinda like a gun....might as well save and get what you want instead of settling. Thanks again and bust'em all. Bryan
  20. quartering

quartering Active Member

shop around: i got a new 650 for about 20% off retail from a dillon dealer, not dillon direct. and/or be patient: i picked up two used 900's on shotgunworld and ebay for about 500 bucks each. with collators! i didn't really need a second 900 in 12 ga., but it was a deal too good to pass up. good luck with it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.