1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillon 900 help please!!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Socko124, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socko124

Socko124 TS Member

So, I have 2 dillon SL900 machines, and all three gauge conversions for them, and the 20 gauge is driving me up the wall! No matter how slow I go on the handle, it throws a couple pieces of shot out from somewhere, and I am not able to determine if it is coming out of the shell the shot was just dropped into, or if it is there is somewhere else the shot is hangin up and I am just not aware of it. ( the two or three occasional pellets come out of nowhere so fast that I cannot tell exactly where they are coming from besides the general location of the shot drop tube/shell area.). I could probably even tell what the hell is going on if they had designed these damn things so you could see inside the press, but no... They made it off of a 650 frame with the huge bar right in the front, and you can see nothing that happens on the platform from the front. I love the performance of these things when they do work correctly, but I cannot get this 20 gauge to quit spitting shot out. Has anyone had similar problems? Or should I just smash these damn things?

2. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Just send it to me , i love me 900.I never had that issue, it sounds like it may be catching in the drop tube than falls when you advance the handle, just a guess, like i said just send it to me and i will figure it out within the next 15 yr or so . Joe

3. quartering

quartering Active Member

i also have two in 12 and 20 and have never had a problem. where in the stroke is the shot escaping?

4. George Rezabek

George Rezabek TS Member

Check the tube connection at the shot hopper. If the clamp is loose a few pellets will work themselves out and fall to the table. In another day or so, the tube will come loose and you will have shot everywhere.

5. Socko124

Socko124 TS Member

Thanks for the tips guys! I called dillon today and asked them about it, and was stunned by their answer after all of the amazing help their customer service has given me in the past... I told him the issue, and he said that it sounds like some shot was staying in the charge bar, and dropping when the shell holder rotates. I did find this to be the problem, but when I asked for a solution, suggestion, or otherwise, he said that it may do that due to the design because a square(ish) piece was trying to empty into a round tube. This of course, makes perfect sense, but why the hell is it designed that way? Anyhow...I got to thinking about it, and the machine wasn't completely level on my bench, so I shimmed it to where it was level so shot couldn't stay trapped forward in the bar. This worked, and eliminated the problem. I guess a very very slight amount of tilt can make all the difference in the world when you are using a machine that relies on gravity to operate.

6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

It might not be the best machine on the market, but very near!!

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There is a square plastic piece that slides on the side of shot bar. If that has fallen out or is loose your shot bar will not return to battery or go all the way forward regularly. This will cause shot to bounce out. Replace or tighten.

8. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Like my Dillon mo than you like yo Grand!

Pat

9. build4u

build4u Member

make sure the wad arm is centering the wad guide fingers on the hull. There is an adjustable set screw from underneath that the wad arm stops on. if a finger on the wad is folded in a little bend it out quick while inserting. The 20 shot dispenser uses a smaller drop tube however there is still not a lot of room in the 20.If it catches a wad petal and fold it over the shot will ride high and flip out on indexing. Also check your seated wad depth. I have sl-900s two as well and the 20 was a little more delicate to set up. I go just a little slower with the 20.

10. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

Just FYI using the 20 Ga drop tube with 12 Ga sure works better due to the smaller tube diameter.

Cheers,

George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.