1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillon 223 carbide dies-Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I am setting my Dillon 550B up to load 223's for 2 AR's and was just wanting opinions on their Carbide 223 dies. Are they worth the extra money.
    Carey

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Definitely worth the extra.

3. ML

ML Member

I have a set of Dillon 223 Carbide dies in a 550B that I load my 223's for 2 AR's.

They work great and would not use any other kind of dies. They are expensive but

worth the price.

Regards

M.L.

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Dillon makes great dies, but also check out the offerings from RCBS, Redding and Forster. Also make great dies for .223. (I have the Forster Competition ones).

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Carbide dies are wonderful but if you lube your cases with something like Hornaday One Shot they work much much better. I like One Shot the best, I just lay out a bunch of cases in a cardboard box like a beer flat and just give one side a quick spray. You don't need to remove it after loading either.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Don't forget that bottleneck rifle cases must be lubed.

I full length size my bottleneck rifle cartridges on a single stage, then load the processed and primed brass on my Dillon 650.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Coach that is exactly what I said, lube them with Hornaday One Shot, it is clean easy and you don't have to remove it afterwards. YOur brass will go through the dies like crap through a goose.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Since you have a 550, you know what Dillon Spray Lube is. For around $75 (maybe less if you're crafty) you can have a set of RCBS Small Base Dies and a Hornady .223 Carbide expander ball installed ready to go. Throw some brass in a cardboard box, spray with the Dillon lube, wait one, and begin processing. Good luck.

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If you are shooting 10,000 rounds a year or loading commercially I can see using them but other then the abilty to get a stuck case out of the die 1 MILLION times easier then with an RCBS or any other die, I see no point to dillon dies for rifles. They are built to the same tolerance that everybody else builds dies too. Standard SAAMI specs. Like teh coach says.. you still have to lube them.

For me? If you think that you will never improperly lube a case just buy RCBS. They have been making dies for many years.

The first time you stick a case with a set of dillin dies, the dies will have paid for themselves. Number one you don't have to own a stuck case kit or make one/ buy one if it happens.

The dillon has a buit in case remover. None of the others have it. This is why I own dillon .223 dies and Dillon 308 dies.

That is the only reason I own them. Stick just one case and you will wish you paid the extra money. Besides? What are we talking? 20 to 25 bucks? Jeff

10. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Thanks guys, I will spend the extra and get the Dillon carbide dies. I have had very good luck with my other Dillon pistol carbides.
    Carey

11. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Carbide dies for bottle neck rifle cartridges are a waste of money. unlike pistol cartridges, you still need to lube them even when using carbide dies. The reason for the carbide is longevity so unless you are loading 10K rds a month, the steel dies are fine. Now, if you just want the best and can afford it, knock yourself out.

I use to shoot a lot of 223 and loaded on a Dillon 1050. 2K a month was pretty normal. The regular Dillon dies perform great. And more importantly, the Dillon spray lube cannot be beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dillon 223 carbide die

how well o dillion carbide 223 dies work