1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

DIllion, RCBS Grand, or Possness Warren

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

My wife saw Leo Harrisons RCBS reloader while I was watching his DVD. She asked me if and why his reloader was better than my MEC 9000. I really did not have a good answer but told her that the reloader he has will produce a good quality shell on a more consistent basis the the one I have. She asked if I would want a new reloader I told her someday I would. In her own words she now has an idea of a gift for next christmas. I am asking for opinions on the above reloaders. They are all priced pretty close to $100.00 of each other so price is not a problem in this range. I have since done a little internet research and paid attention to these reloaders. If given a choice which one would you guys and gals buy and why.The one thing that I am not sure I would like is that the RCBS has the tube that hangs down and appears to limit the way it is mounted to your bench. Though this could cut down on the overall heigth of the reloader. Please give me your thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Jim Bradbury

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

My first progressive was a Dillon. Mine had some things I did not like and could not make the way I wanted it. Dillon has customer service that cant be beat. I sold mine and got a P/W 800+ and equipped it with an auto case feeder and auto drive. I have it adjusted and all I can tell you is it will load a box of shells every 90 seconds. I used to think I enjoyed loading them as much as shooting them but when you have 4 people shooting them it got to where I was always behind. With the set up I have I am never behind. It flat shits and gets. The bottom line is all of the loaders will load but not all of them can have a a case feeder and a auto drive added. Something to think about down the line.
    Good luck with your choice.

3. bambambam

bambambam Member

Dillon enough said. Hard to beat the best.

4. TP Express

TP Express TS Member

Do a search on reloaders and you will find all the opinions you need.

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

Dillon, Dillon. Everything breaks sometime and their no BS guarantee just can't be beat. And they're super nice people as well.

6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

You listed them in the right order...

7. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Geez, I can't let all these misguided folks steer you wrong. :)

I have the RCBS Grand (after upgrading from MEC) and it is a fantastic loader. I've pumped at least 20,000 rounds through it in a few years and any issues are quickly addressed by the BEST customer service team in the business and ALL parts are FREE.

The used primer tube sitting below the press is not an issue.

So there you closet Dillon lovers. Take that.

8. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The Dillon is extremely fast. I have had MECs, Dillons and a Spolar and the Dillon is, IMO, the fastest. But, there is no hydraulic or electric set up for the Dillon. (I read here, someplace, that there is one that will work, but I have never seen it and whoever posted that did not put pictures on the site).

I kept getting "tennis elbow" from using the Dillon, so I got the Spolar Hydraulic and it is fantastic, but not quite as fast as the Dillon (IM0).

If you are a younger shooter, who has no problems with the elbows wearing out (yet) get the Dillon.

I still have a Dillon in the garage and use it from time to time to load a half a flat or so, but stop after that to avoid the pain. I like the case feeder and the ability to very accurately adjust the powder and shot (it adjusts in a similar manner as the adjustable charge bar on a MEC).

For most of my loading, I use the Spolar and, if I had to choose, I'd pick it over the others.

Bob

9. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

Dillon, and don't look back. I have two.

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Get a Dillon and don't look back, just look for a new elbow. LOL
    All jokes aside the Dillon is far from a bad loader but the best, Not for me. At my club I have seen more miscue on shells loaded on a Dillon than any other. For some reason there loads go bloop quite often at my club. Maybe the people using them are to old I don't know. I would put my loader up against any loader made as far as the quality, quantity and consistency.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you've got a couple of guys around that do a lot of reloading, buy what they have. Then, you'll have someone to help you when something goes wrong, because it will, regardless of what you buy. Saying that, I have two Dillon's, and have made over 100,000 shells on them, with very few problems. I've owned Mec's, PW, Pacific/Hornady, and Dillon's.

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Call Whiz White at S&W supply and talk to him aout this. Very good man to get to know.

WNCRob

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The RCBS Grand has way too many delicate parts that can break.

Dillon makes great metallic loaders. Don't know about their shotshell loaders.

Spolar is very old design and a very high price.

The Ponsness/Warren 800 Plus is a solid, reliable machine.
    The P/W Auto-Drive is the best operator there is!

Jim Skeel P/W Dealer/Dist

[​IMG]

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

None are bad machines or they would stay in business.

I have never used an RCBS Grand - so no opinion.

If you want to change gauges - Spolar. The Spolar is also the most reliable. You don't need "free" parts if there are no little plastics parts that break regularly.

If only loading 12 ga - PW 800+. NOTHING produces crimps like a PW. They are prefect.

The Dillon would be my last choice. "Useless" case feeder (holds 80 hulls) and crimps are not good enough. The lack of adding an eclectic drive or hydraulic is also a negative. I had one with in 12 and 28 ga and got rid of it.

Note: a case feeder is irrelevant if (when) you add a power drive. But, a PW with a case feeder (and no power unit) is the fastest machine out there. I once loaded over 750 shells in an hour with mine but it was "work". I do not believe that it is possible to load a box in 90 seconds (on average)as stated above. That is 1000/hour and not achievable by an someone with average reflexes - so question everything you read.

I load 20,000+ rounds a year. Normally 1000-3000 at a sitting. If your needs are less, my advice may be moderated to suit.

Good luck,

Don Verna

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have a Dillon and Mec 9000H---use the Dillon for 1 oz and the Mec for 1 1/8
    They are both great---Both co's give great service---Either will serve you well.Bought both used and never had a real problem with either---SJB---

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

I may have confused the issue a bit.

You can change gauges on the 800+ but I decided to buy conversions for the Spolar because I believe changeovers are a bit easier on the Spolar.

Thanks to Mike for bringing this to my attention.

Don Verna

17. thunder

thunder Active Member

I have a Dillon and Mec 9000H. Dillon for my PB handicap loads, Mec for my singles and first shot doubles load. They both are great loaders with great customer service on both. Dillon is no BS warranty and its the best out their.

Had a PW800 plus and got rid of it due to the PB powder bleeding and jamming up the machine.

Another great loader is the Hornady 366. Used it for four years.

18. Simphoto

Simphoto TS Member

I have had a MEC, SOLD IT. I have a dillon for rifle and pistol, LOVE IT and yes their customer service is the best.

BUT!!!!!! I have two PW 900 (2000's now) and LOVE THEM MORE. Whole point is to have a machine you DON'T NEED customer service for. That said, i have dealt with PW on several occasions about a machine I purchased used and they were great to deal with.

The case feed for Dillon's is WAY too small, the PW will hold 500 hulls, in 12 ga. only. I am getting a feed system for my 20 ga 900 and having it modified to work with the 20's so the help is out there.

Go with PW and forget about it.

19. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Thats it I am going to the reloading with a garbage can and throwing my 9000H's right into in and into the dumpster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dillon or ponsness

ponsness warren vs rcbs grand

ponsness warren vs rcbs the grand