1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillion 20 ga Conversion easy to do?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunnerdad, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunnerdad

shotgunnerdad TS Member

I'm considering the purchase of a 20 ga conversion kit for my Dillion press, rather than buy a second less expensive press. Anyone have experience with using one of these? Is the conversion relatively easy?

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I have a Square Deal that I bought used to load 45ACP. A few months ago, I bought a 9mm setup for the same press. Converting it only takes a 15-20 minutes (I take my time because I am mechanically challenged). Adjusting the primer feed takes the longest.

You didn't mention which press you have. I had a a 550 but sold it. I had 45ACp and 9mm setups for it as well and switching was fairly easy.

I guess if you have the money and the space, you could have a press for each caliber or gauge. Seems like a waste of $ to me, but maybe not to someone else.

Gene in Illinois

3. clayshooter100

clayshooter100 Member

Shotgunnerdad I have two sl900 and both the conversions for the 20 and 28 the first set up takes the longest after that not so much . Once you have each gauge set up it takes 10 mins. to change over you take the shot and powder off then you change the shell plate over , the hull feeder tube and the plate in the hull hopper . then you change out the head with the two pins and put the shot and powder back on fill them and check the drops they should be the same as the first set up then your are ready to go

4. shotgunnerdad

shotgunnerdad TS Member

Thanks, but I was referring to the Dillion shotshell press - the SL900...converting from 12 gauge to 20 gauge.

5. shotgunnerdad

shotgunnerdad TS Member

Thanks clayshooter100...very helpful info. Do you know if there's much a used market for the 20 ga. conversion kit? I'm not likely going to be shooting nearly as much 20 ga, and the $330 price for the new kit is a bit steep.

6. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Gene,

Dillon makes only one press for shotgun... the SL-900. The conversions from one gauge to another are easier and a bit quicker than the Square Deal.

Shotgunnerdad,

The conversion from 12 to 20 gauge will take about 10 minutes once you have adjusted the dies in the 20 gauge conversion.Order the powder system and the hull plate for the hull feeder and you're golden.

I'm trying to find a used 20 gauge conversion for my 900, already have the 28 gauge.

PM me before Wednesday and I'll describe the steps to do the conversion.

Pat

7. shotgunnerdad

shotgunnerdad TS Member

Thanks, Pat. Encouraging. If you happen to find two 20 ga. kits for sale, let me know! shotgunnerdad@gmail.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.