1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Dillingham, Alaska ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 100straight, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 100straight

100straight Member

If anyone lives in, or is very familiar with, Dillingham Alaska, please e-mail me direct at the address above. I have questions about Dillingham, and a possible relocation there.

Thanks,

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

If its any help ... I dont live there and have never been there but I do know that its most likely cold there in the winter ... if thats any help.

3. 100straight

100straight Member

lumper,

Thanks for the heads up. If you don't live there, that is one check on the + side.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

My twin cousin does live there though and I aint heard from him for awhile ... he might still be frozen from last year and not thawed out enough to communicate.

5. tj303

tj303 Member

I was there several years ago on my way to a fly-in fishing lodge. From my very limited experience I wouldn't care to make it my residence. The locals would probably disagree. Do more research and a visit before committing to a (expensive) move. Tony J

6. 100straight

100straight Member

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

<Q>The stable government is backed by a skilled staff of professional administrators who have annually created opportunities for new business. Dillingham offers the best of small town life and the variety of the big population areas. Where else in Bristol Bay can you choose from two grocery stores or two banks and still be greeted by your first name! </Q>

Copied from their website. guess the last sentence says it all...!!

Jim

8. 100straight

100straight Member

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

100straight, my best advice if your going there, load 7's....;-)

Jim C

Hell, Michigan

<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

by the looks of that pic, i sure do hope that whatever it is drawing you there either pays real well, or is extremely good looking and rich. i know that after this past winter in western ny, i'm ready for warm, not cold.

brett d.

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Hey Mark...

We emailed back and forth a couple of times about an alaska hunt for you and your boys.

Drop me a line at my work email, above. I'm in Anchorage, but i can probably help you out...

Jeff

12. 100straight

100straight Member

Jeff,

I sent the e-mail. It says you are out until Monday. Have a great Easter. Talk to you later.

Mark.

13. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

I have spent a good deal of time in Dillingham as my son moved there and became a native. The statement about more bars than churchs is not true as there are only 2 bars and 5 churchs. The last time I was there it was still a small town with the locals being very close knit, keeping outsiders at arms length. There is only one way to get there and that is by plane and the fares are very high from Anchorage. I was offered a job there and took my wife up and she said no way. The population doubles in the summer during fishing season and there is good sport fishing and great hunting in the area. It is a very expensive place to live as all of the perishable goods are flown in.

Clyde

14. big D

big D TS Member

I worked there in 1998 dredging the harbor. Lotta rain and silt/mud. I thought friendly people. Trap range out by the dump. Dave Inman

15. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

I lived in Anchorage for 4 years, which was nice. I sure wouldn't want to live were you are talking about moving to.

16. Alaskamodel12

Alaskamodel12 TS Member

Here's what I think I know. This is meant to be humorous rather than to offend. 1. Waterfowl season is just about to begin in that part of AK. No bag limits and lead shot is OK although the feds sometimes provide free nontoxic ammo (You can research this if you don't believe it!). 2. I think it's Dillingham that got a wad of federal anti-terrorism money, purchased a huge number (25?) of surveillance cameras, and last I heard paid someone to watch them 24-7 although no one knows why. 3. Dillingham has had a heck of a time retaining and attracting city managers; pretty common in Alaska villages but in this case may be related to the cameras. 4. Anyone moving to bush AK to take a job might negotiate up front the number many paid trips out each year, and ask what happened to the last guy. 5. People moving to bush AK from Lower 48 sometimes first prove up some quantum of Native American blood (1/32 seems to work) in order to qualify for special federal benefits including free health care. 6. Anyone qualifies for special subsistence hunting and fishing preferences on the day of arrival in Dillingham but qualifying for other advantages such as resident license fees and the Permanent Fund Dividend should be researched now. 7. That part of AK is currently split down the middle over a proposed gold mine; one legislative seat last year was a tie and settled by a coin toss due in part to the mine battle. 8. Being flexible in certain standards will be an advantage. GOOD LUCK.

17. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I always thought that Bethel was the spot for the tube....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.