1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digweed wins World FITASC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

32nd World FITASC Sporting Championship

15th – 18th July 2010

Laterina (Arezzo) - Italy

Photos & Results:

http://losttarget.com/s/2010/2010WorldFITASC/

2. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Thanks Joe, that was almost your best ever. Great format and photo presentation. George Digweed, Ben Hustewaithe, Ant Matarease 1, 2, 3. These guys ARE the three best in the world and have proven it time after time.

Event organizers should take note of those trophy's.... Green alabaster stone and antiqued bronze.. Nice! Something worth shooting for.

Yes, they cost more than plated plastic stick-man, and particle board and the entry fee was a little higher. But it just might be one of the reasons why they have 1500 entrants from around the world. You can WIN something memorable, more than $50 bucks which just buys you an unmemorable greasy lunch or a tank of gas for the drive home.

I was recruited to go there to Italy and referee. They wanted more International/American ref's. (not that I ever seriously considered it).

But I see they awarded the Ref's with nice silver plates for their service. A good idea. I am certified and have ref'ed many Fitasc events but it is dirty, thankless work.... Out all day in the dusty heat while others are shooting and having fun. I took my gun back up,... and left the slave work to the other martyrs.

3. Joe Potosky

SHARPSHOOTER ACHIEVES TARGET

George Digweed achieved his goal of winning a world title in four different decades by claiming gold at the Italian Grand Prix in Laterina at the weekend.

The Hastings-based shooter, 46, hit a superb 197/200 total over the four-day tournament, beating fellow Brit Ben Husthwaite (195/200) into second and American Anthony Matarese (192/200) who was third.

He has now won a world title in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and now 2010, leaving Italy happy at having achieved the ambition he has worked towards for so long.

"My long-term goal has always been to try and win a world championship in four different decades," he explained. "I've had that goal for the last 2-3 years, along with trying to maintain my position within the sport and being competitive at a world level - which I've managed to do.

"Obviously the new decade started this year, and I wanted to win one more world title so I earned the enviable achievement in sport of having won the world championship as a senior in four different decades. Now I've done that, I'm very happy."

Despite his amazing achievement Digweed remains modest, insisting that serendipity played a part in the fine form he showed in Italy, where he shot a perfect 100/100 over the first two days.

"At certain times in your life things just go right," he said. "You can never get your timings absolutely spot on and have everything go right every time you go out.

"You try to give yourself every opportunity every time you go out to get it right, but there's certain times in everybody's career where it just slots into place and you have one of those red-letter shoots, so to speak.

"It's the same as somebody playing unbelievable tennis at Wimbledon one year and then not necessarily doing it again. It's just one of those times where everything came together."

Such modesty has not impacted upon his desire though. George is as hungry for success now as ever and he's still looking for further glory.

"I'm a very competitive person and as long as I feel I can compete at an international level I intend to - and that will not abate at all," he added.

"Going forward I hope that I can recreate the level that I got to this weekend in some shape or form. And I intend to keep going for as long as I can."

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

And in FITASC you have to shoot low gun and you can't mount until you see the bird.

Not to mention "slow pulls" are part of the game.

5. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It takes FOUR DAYS to shoot 200 targets? I can hear the whining now if ATA shoots took that long to decide. Congrats to George on his new title...

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Noe even remotely comparable to ATA trap.

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

What, and there is no outcry to have him banned as a pro? Nice to see people appreciating the good shooters instead of complaining they are too good.

8. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

only 50 targets a day.... Ha!

Actually each parcour of 25 targets has three pegs and each peg is an event in itself. So you are really experiencing 6 events per day, and it takes most of an hour for the squad to shoot a parcour.

Did you notice that scenery in Joe's pictures of Italy too? Where else in God's green earth can you shoot a setting like that. No where! They always find virgin land to set up and host these fitasc events.

Certainly not many places in America will ever do this with the EPA breathing down their necks.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Outstanding shooting,

I wish to see Digweed attend the Grand. I hear rumors that the elite shooters across the pond think of American Trap as very easy, if not quite lame.

I don't mean to discredit or sound lacky, I honestly think it would be interesting to see how a noble shooter like Digweed would fare out in a HOA against our own gentlemen of ATA.

IF his talent for breaking targets follows him to the Grand, He could fetch a fair piece of change while adding another notch yet, in his vast belt.

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If George shoots trap at the Grand he will be a major player. I could see him having interest for 100,00.00 payday.

11. Joe Potosky

From the past....

Texas, 2008.

World All Around Championship

900 targets.

ATA Trap - 16 Yard, ATA Trap 27 Yard, ATA Doubles, NSSA Any Gauge Skeet, NSSA Skeet Doubles, English Sporting, 5 Stand, Fitasc, International Skeet, Bunker Trap, Flyers, Helice, Super Final.

George Digweed, 2008 All Around Champion

It was not decided until late Sunday, but George Digweed won the 900 Bird tournament by beating Scott Robertson and pulling a head by three targets on the last event.

A clay target shoot comprising all clay target shooting disciplines and live bird shooting.

$5,000 entry fee.

This event is not to decide who is the best skeet, trap or sporting clays shooter but who is the best overall shooter in the world.

RESULTS:

http://www.iclays.com/scores/scores121-1302.html#OPEN

PAYOUT:

http://www.elmfork.com/pdf/payout.pdf

12. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I don't think he would scare Leo and the rest very much in trap. His last trap score in the world championships was 43 out of 50. Double that is an 86.

13. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

It's also worth noting that the U.S.A. men's team comprised of Wendell Cherry, Jon Kruger, Andy Duffy and Anthony Matarese jr. took the men's team title at this shoot. Their score of 744 was 11 targets ahead of runner-up France and 15 targets ahead of host team Italy. Congratulations to these gentlemen also.

Ken

14. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

digweed is a unbeliveable shot at anything including live birds, if any of you get the chance just watch him, but modest!!! joe have spent time with him??? hes a lot of things and the best shooter in the world i belive is one of them, but modest he aint.

15. Joe Potosky

RE: but modest

I talked to him one on one and never had the impression that he had any type of attitude. He has a seriousness about him when shooting, but knows how to enjoy his non-shooting time. Very easy to get along with. You would never know he was one of the best shots in the world, as he does not throw that fact around in causal conversation. Will almost talk to anyone when not shooting.

Also, a great defender of enforcement of the rules of the game.

16. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

But George got beat in the World English Sporting shoot the week before at Lakenheath Shooting Ground.

http://www.krieghoff.co.uk/news-worldsporting2010.html

17. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Great shooting

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Something to be said for accepting one's awards in a jacket and tie... we may not care for their socialized societies, but the Europeans can well remind us that they can still teach us a thing or two... class acts.

regards all,

Jay

19. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I agree! I look at the trophy presentation photos in our magazine and I am normally embarrassed at how OUR top shots look. Sloppy t-shirts, cutoff shorts, sandals and usually a hat with some lame slogan on it. Makes us look bad, no wonder the non-shooting public thinks we are a bunch of idiots. Come on guys, have some pride, put on a clean shirt. At least the ladies still try to look a little more presentable.

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Sir George needs to get his butt to the Grand. Where else can he compete for $100,000? He has 2 1/2 weeks to practice.

Imagine..... a tired, hot, guy at the classification desk puts him on the 20 yard line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.