1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digweed wins world by 21 birds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dove Commander, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Mike, Is it posted on a web site? (bird count by event)

2. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Congrats to the winner. If he can beat Kruger 21 targets he must be a super shooter. Its been reported in several places he shoots almost "full and fuller" at everything. More power to him and I hope he enjoys his money. He came a long way to put up five grand and could have gone home with nothing.

By the way.........wonder how good Kruger could have been with a true "trigger finger". Wonder how they split the money? Wish Scott had finished in the top three.

3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Digweed took $30,000 for 1st, Kruger $18,000 for 2nd, Bill McGuire $12,000 for 3rd, Scottie $6,000 for 4th and Gebben Miles $5,000 for fifth. Each event also paid out to the top two scores, so you have to factor in some of that depending on who-won-what to get the final totals.

Ken Rucker

4. southpark

southpark TS Member

You guys must be dreaming. I have it on good authority, as seen in another thread on this board, that money won't attract shooters, especially if they have to put the money up themselves.

The next thing you'll do is try telling me this "Digweed" fellow is a real person and come up with some pithy line he supposedly said like"

"The real winners are the ones who are prepared to risk losing form, status and everything they have achieved for the prospect of something greater."

Trust me, money and excellence have no place in modern shotgun sports. I learned that right here on ts.com!

5. k3uro

k3uro Member

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've been wondering all week - where it says "Flyers", were they shooting live birds? And if so, where was it, and were the PETA types there protesting?

7. southpark

southpark TS Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire

8. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Yes, Larry, the Flyers event was live birds....box birds to be exact. There are several pigeon rings still in existence down here.......this is TEXAS, you know!!....LOL!!!

Ken Rucker

9. gunner

gunner TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great shooting event. Too bad more guys didn't enter. Just goes to show how many/few shooters are willing to put up their own money to shoot for. What did the Super Final event consist of? Looks like George only missed one.

10. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

But can they shoot trap? No!

11. jtf650

jtf650 Member

I certainly don't know all the big "names" in trap, skeet and sporting clays, but the few I recognized on this list were all sporting clays guys. Were there any big-time trap or skeet shooters in the field? James Fawcett

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

jtf650, there are three trapshooting friends of mine that I have been able to witness their ability on sporting, bird and all around shooting away from the trap fields that I believe have a chance. One however is retired and the other two are actively busy with the trap season.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Due to the type of game sporting has become, I doubt the big names in trap would be competitive in the format. How many trap shooters regularly shoot sporting with the variation of bird types, presentations, and distance. Usually requires a flat shooting gun, as some of the birds and rabbits are below your feet. The targets aren't always rising. Kruger, who has a trap background, was the best contender. Throw ZZ, felice, and live birds in there, and you've gotta be a well rounded dude to be beat George. And yes, up to a few years ago he shot .035/.040 on all events. After losing a few tourneys, he now uses 2 guns, the other opened up abit for closer targets.

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Did Robbie Purser leave early? Either that or ran out of shells.

15. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Setterman,

There is a common misconception about sporting shooters vs trap shooters and many think the way you do. Did you know that Kruger used to shoot trap, but was not competitive? He then went to sporting where there was (and is) little real competition. Digweed is a notch above Kruger. I can't help to think that if sporting was organized and run by the shooters instead of the shooting industry, it would flourish and draw the better trapshooters to that sport, who would dominate it in short order.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

bridgetoofar, You are correct. Trapshooters are usually the most disciplined shooters and would be competitive, but there is the notion/rumor that sporting will screw up your trap game. Dedicated trappers are usually hesitant to try or give up time to another game. There is also the vast differences in courses. A "real" course can be humbling (Detroit gun club or Island Lake) There is no comparison to most of the "local" clubs. A mid 90's score at DGC or IL is outstanding shooting. We don't like to look to post scores like 88 or 75 even if their "average". It would be an interesting Thread..."How many Shoot sporting competitively too"

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The scoring system they used made it impossible for anyone but a sporting clays shooter to win. That's why the best trap and skeet shooters didn't enter. While in trap and skeet there are very few targets that separate the winner from the rest of the field, in sporting clays a good shooter having a very good day may win by 10 or more targets against a strong field. Digweed did just that, his 91 beating Kruger by 7 and Robertson by 10 birds.
    Notice that the top 6 singles trap scores were 50,49,49,49,49,49. Harlan Campbell having the best day of his life can't shoot better than 50 in a 50 bird race. As long as they use target count in determining the winner, a trap or skeet shooter can't win. A system of "normalized" scoring used in other types of competition could make it more fair.

18. deadapair17

deadapair17 TS Member

I can sure tell by reading this that this a "die hard" trapshooting site. Lots of people here that never shot enough sporting clays to know the ability required to break a 80 mph crosser on edge at 60 yds. for example. (it may be going up and it might be going down). And you don't get to shoot it everyday like trap, tomorrow it will something different, every part of the game is different every tournament. Trap is 95% mental. In contrast, sporting, flyers, helice, FITASC, etc. is knowledge and experience of hundreds of target presentations, instinct, plus 95% mental, and being tough. You are selling these guys short, very short. How many of you would put up 5000 to bet that you could win? That question has already been answered though. I haven't seen a single trapshooter no matter how good he is at his game, excel at these other games, even after a long time trying. This tells me there is a lot more to it than most think. I have done very well at trap, skeet, and "the rest of the games, and know other shooters doing the same thing. We just prefer sporting clays to anything else. Thanks, Don

19. magnum800

magnum800 TS Member

I agree with deadapair17 100%................Paul

20. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Banned User Banned

"--------------- As long as they use target count in determining the winner, a trap or skeet shooter can't win.----------"

I'm not understanding something here ?? How else could a winner be determined ? The person that broke the most targets won , and by breaking the most left no doubt that he was the "best" at that shoot .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.