1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital SLR Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Going to do a mega trip this year with the Mrs. and need a GOOD, non-professional DSLR to capture some memories. Must be EASY to use.

Recommendations appreciated, especially if you might have a link where I can find it cheap. (I am Scottish, I think I am frugal, wife says cheap;))

Thanks

2. quicky

quicky Member

I have a brand new in the never opened box Canon EOS Rebel T3i that I was going to put on E-bay tonight with a buy-it-now price of $500. I got it as a 30yr gift from my employer but I have more cameras that I ever use anyway. Buyer would pay shipping (~ $15?). E-mail if interested. KQ

3. greendrake

greendrake Member

may i suggest the canon g15. It has huge mega pixels and as a neophyte, set it on a preprogrammed selection and shoot. I have a g10 and g11 and am looking at the g15 because it has more megapixels. Now if you study and learn about how to set up manual and use it you can adjust f-stop, iso etc. so that you can expand depth of field. I think that the msrp is $499 but there are sales. I took my g11 as a back up to a photo class in yosemite and a dslr nikon d300. For close work the canon did much nicer work. It is not a sports camera though where you need shutter speed and frames per second. Good luck. BTW if you buy one and use it and don't beat it up i'll buy it from you. ty russ luke

4. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Whatever you buy, take at least 500 pictures and read the manual BEFORE your trip.

Try the camera's different settings, and see what you like.

You wouldn't shoot a big tournament with a gun you've never shot before, same thing with a new camera on vacation.

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I'm at Daytona Speed Week and when I was watching the drivers come out on the stage for the Bud Duals I noticed that all the photgraphers were using Canons. Later I called my Son who is a Professional Photgrapher in NY City and he said "Nikons for portraits, Canons for Sports". I agree.

blade819

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

7. greendrake

greendrake Member

as nice as this photo is, the focal point is on the riders face. The people on the fence are slightly out of focus. This may have been corrected with increased depth of field by closing the aperture ring. That being said the gentleman wants a no nonsense camera (point and shoot), and not a dslr. A $300-500 camera from a real camera store would at least point you in the correct direction. Now being that you are scottish, go home now and search online for the one you liked at the camera store. I still like my canon g11. I used to shoot lots of landscape with a bronica etrsi, and candid shots with a leica m6. That was film and basically rangefinder. Now a days depth of field is tough as dslr are really all about MB huge file sizes and frames per second. If he wants a tremendous camera a hassenblad is the one to buy, but the price is prohibitive.
    I agree with shoot 500 shots that day to get used to it, but then you also need to upload them to a decent computer with photoshop or lightroom and see what you are doing wrong. If you are shooting landscape please do not include much sky unless the clouds are interesting, and try to find interesting shapes. stay away from vertical and horizontal lines, as diagonals are the best as your eye moves to follow the lines direction. Last piece: use the golden hour. One hour after sunrise and one hour before dusk. The colors a warm... russ l

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Sunny 16, rule of thirds, the golden hour, depth of field

google them if you have to :)

DSC4940-1024x680.jpg

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

If it would help,,,,,,we are going to Rome, so mostly pictures of structures and people.

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Much like trapshooting where it's the shooter and not the gun, if you want good pictures it's the photographer not the camera.

Buy any camera, and practice, practice, practice.

11. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

Nikon, only way to go.

12. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

bigdogtx,

I have been very successful in buying older, quality cameras on ebay. The digital field is changing so fast that there are many older,quality cameras for sale at great prices, new and still boxed for sale. Check out the listings. It's the best way to stretch your dollar.

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"That being said the gentleman wants a no nonsense camera (point and shoot), and not a dslr."

So GD if what you say is true why in the gentleman asking for recommendations on DSLR Cameras????? He asks for DSLR and you say that isn't what he wants, go figure!!!!

Bob Lawless

14. greendrake

greendrake Member

pm sent. russ luke

15. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

We have had several expensive Canons and Nikons. If you are doing extremely detailed closeups or action photos I would say get one of these brands. For almost everything else we have had a Panasonic Lumix that takes superb photos for still photography and regular pics. It has a Zeiss lens and is extremely compact. Highly recommend them for the average Joe who wants nice pics. Pete

16. Loyac

Loyac Member

I second the Canon G15 choice. Incredible camera. Fast lens, 1080 HD video capture, CMOS sensor, easy to use.

17. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> For almost everything else we have had a Panasonic Lumix that takes superb photos for still photography and regular pics.

Agreed, the have big optical zooms that work well and take nice pictures.

18. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Audi gave me a Leica D6 for Christmas. Already have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7. Both have the same Zeiss lens (a very fast 1.4-2.3) Have Nikon and Canon DSLRs. All take beautiful pictures, but the DSLRs stay home when wife and I go on vacation. Too bulky. The suggestion to take a lot of pictures before the trip whichever camera you buy, to familiarize yourself with its operation (and idiosyncracies) is an excellent one.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I use a Sony A55, which replaced my Sony A100 which was stolen. I know they don't get a lot of love but I'm very satisfied with mine, plus I can use my excellent Minolta MD Rokkor lenses on it with an adapter. It's 16.2 MP and can shoot 1080P video with good sound too. It is often sold in a combo pack with an 18-55mm zoom and a 70-300 zoom.

Ron Burr

20. Mongoose71

Mongoose71 Member

If you have no experience with a SALE and don't have plans to take up photography, I wouldn't recommend a DSLR. If you don't know how use one it will not automatically take great pics. a quality point n shoot is best. If you plan to learn get DSLR and a book on digital photography. Take a ton of pics before you go. My personal preference is canon. Great cameras with lots of lens choices. My recommendation is the 60D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.