1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital SLR Nikon question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigbore613, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have a friend looking to buy a Nikon digital SLR. Which model do you recomcnd? Thanks, Jeff

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Nikon has a lot of very good models. It is really the seriousness of the hobby and depth of the available funds.

I might add the quality of the glass (lens) can make a big difference. A full sensor model obviously is best. Lens can be more than the bodies depending on quality and speed.

Then again, for the casual user, they are all "pretty darn good" these days. If you are going to shoot very large portraits, you need high end gear. But for just family shots etc. there are many models in the mid range that will do great.

I am partial to Canon gear, but not everyone needs a 5D MKii with L series lens just to shoot a few pictures.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have been a Nikon user for over 40 years. Nikno makes everything from a point and shoot to Professional systems. Right now I have a D300 but am thinking of one of the newer systems that can do both still and 1080 P video. That's something to consider.

You can't go wrong with a Nikon.

Tom

4. Slugo

Slugo Member

the D3100 would be an excellent start. Get it with the superb kit lens 18-55/VR and then add an external flash like the Nikon SB400...

5. atadams77

atadams77 Member

depending on your budget really and what you'll be shooting. sports, landscape, etc. just like with guns i suppose, lots of variables. if you have a large budget and are set on nikon, go with a d700 and a dx vr lens. the 18-200 is very popular and is very good.

im partial to canon also. again large budget go for a 5d mk 2 or a 7d. the 5d is full 35mm frame. 7d is a smaller crop sensor, which is perfect if you plan to use lots of zooms lens. the 7d can shoot up to 8 frames per second, and can shoot 1080 video with live view. course these are prosumer components.

canon also makes the rebel series which are cheaper but also very good. also the nikon d3000 or d5000 are good starters.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

the best nikon slr is a canon slr...just joking aside, i liked the lens selection for canon better. i prefer primes and nikon just didn't fit what i wanted. make sure your friend likes the lenses because that's more important than the body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.