1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

digital scales???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Leon47, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leon47

Leon47 Member

Hello,
    I'm looking for a digital scale. Who makes the best, somewhat affordable reloading scale??? Any help with brands and where to order from would certainly be appreciated... Thx, Leon

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

Stick with a good balance beam scale its really all you need

bill

3. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Dillon sells a good one. But if you want something a little more exotic check out ACCULAB VICON VIC-123 at scaleman.com.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are loading shotshells, a digital scale is a luxury. If you are loading metallics, it is a standard. If you are loading precision rifle ammo, it is a necessity.

I have had the same Dillon for years. Google and see what folks are using.

Most are made by the same maker. I don't know of any with a lifetime warranty.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use a PACT digital scale. It is quick and easy to spot check powder drops with a digital scale. A balance beam is accurate, easy to use, but is slow, takes up more space.

PACT makes scales for several other companies and these are sold under different brand names. A couple of years ago, PACT made the scales sold by RCBS and Dillon. I am not clear if this arrangement is current.

Pat Ireland

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have both digitial and beam. I use the Pact and love it, much faster than the beam. Often I get to doubting the digitial and check it aginst the beam. The digitial is always dead on. I purchased mine from Pact. Great product. Jake

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a 30-plus year-old RCBS triple-beam scale that was made for them by Ohaus and I have a modern digital electronic power dispenser/scale combo that I use for handloading rifle ammo. But for shotshells, I use a small battery-powered digital scale made by Frankford Arsenal that I purchased from Midway USA for $29.99 on sale. It's about three inches in both directions and perhaps a half-inch thick, so it takes up very little bench space and doesn't require an involved set-up procedure or any warm-up time, so it is ideal for quickly checking powder or shot drops.

In fact, when I went to Midway's site to get the above URL, I found that is on sale right now!

Ed

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I own 3 digital scales (PACT, RCBS and Frankford Arsenal) and I use one of my two beam balances to verify the readings I get from any one of them; cheap consumer digital scales are just not as reliable as the $1000 lab scales they were based on. Put a beam balance on a solid base away from drafts, zero it and it will remain as reliable as gravity. It's all you'll ever need.

Morgan

9. vdt

vdt Active Member

i am with Pat

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have an older Dillon that keeps on ticking and I like it better than a much newer Pact I thought I needed one day. The major benefit of the digitals is that they can be moved around your work area and not need to be run through a set up procedure. The balance beams need to be zeroed when moved from one spot to another. If I had a clever little shelf or spot, secured a balance beam to that specific spot, and got it set up right, I'd have to agree they will save a lot of pennies.

I've heard for years that Pact makes the scales for most of the other brands and then use colors and names for the individual retailers. I don''t know how true that is or might be but I find that newer Pact I bought quite inconvenient compared to my trusty Dillon.

Averaged - how long does the battery last in your Midway find? Sure looks like a no nonsense item.....Bob Dodd

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like my Pact - no reason to not like it

12. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I have been in the scale industry for 35 years and will back up Capt Morgan's statement. Get a good mechanical first. Use it to check the digital. A cheap digital is just that - a cheap scale. It will drift off zero and sometimes drift off calibration. That is why they come with a calibration weight. Be careful with inexpensive digital scales. Yes - I use a cheap digital. They are fast and easy to use. I understand the shortcomings of the cheap digital and accept them. I also check my scale often with a test weight. The scale should be checked in the range of the weight measurements being taken. The scale may be accurate at 100 grams but grossly inaccurate at 20 grains. Be careful. Your life is on the line - literally. When you know what you don't know, you will know.

13. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Digital scales are all O.K., like Trap Guns, cars, trucks, ect. there is not one best one. I have been using 2 Lymans and have had -0- problems. But like anything mecanical I know that sooner or later I might have a minor problem.

Trap-4

14. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have the Pact Digital Precision Powder Scales. Over all I like this scales. It does a good job and is easy to use.

On the down side I find that it is very fussy to calibrate and will drift off of calibration. It is very sensitive to vibrations, I have it on a separate table from my reloader. I found that if I plug it in a "day in advance" of using it, the scales will hold calibration. If I plug it in and use it right away the calibration will drift up to .8 grains. Pain in the butt to keep it calibrated. Plugging it in, in advance resolves this problem.

Once it is holding calibration this scales if very nice to use. I just wish I knew the secret, to "plug and go" without continuously calibrating it until it settles down!

Frank

15. crk

crk Member

I bought one of the $120 digital scales and HATE all of the extra screwing around it seems to take to make sure that it is reading correctly - went and bought the $40 RCBS beam scale and use it all the time. The digital one sits on the shelf and wish I would have spent the difference on shot instead.

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"Once it is holding calibration this scales if very nice to use. I just wish I knew the secret, to "plug and go" without continuously calibrating it until it settles down!"

Frank, we're dealing with tinker toy load cells here. The load cell alone and its circuitry in a decent scale costs 5 times what a whole "reloader grade" RCBS or PACT scale costs. That's why they drift and lose calibration. I had a technician at PACT tell me to recalibrate my PACT scale every time I used it: not every time I turned it on but every time I wanted to weigh something. Can we be serious?

The scale above is a good deal at the price...

Morgan

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have a Pact that I purchased several years ago and Iam totally satisfied with it. I must be one of the lucky ones that I have never caught it in a lie and have tried under several conditions.

I recently purchased a couple at Harbor Freight tool outlet for like $9.99 each. I've played with one of them and thus far seems to be accurate.

18. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Morgan

Thanks for the info. Now all I need is $946.94!!!!!!!!

Now lets see, that is equal to:

25.6 bags of shot.

9.5 8 pound kegs of Clays.

7.5 sleeves of 5,000 primers.

10 boxes of wads (5,000 per box).

However, it looks like a dam good professional scales. Guess I'll just: calibrate, calibrate, calibrate and calibrate..

Frank

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Bob, sorry to be so slow in responding - I just got home from the sprint car races at Williams Grove. I'm a tech inspector there and also do that at Lincoln Speedway on Saturday nights.

My cheapo Frankford Arsenal scale is about a year old and is still on the battery that came with it, so I can't comment on battery life, but it's probably seen less than an hour of "on" time during that year.

I'll agree about digital scales needing calibrating and drifting but I may have a solution for the problem. When I got my Lyman 1200 DPS II, I was surprised to see their suggestion of a half-hour warm-up time before each use and called Lyman about that. They explained that a digital scale may not give consistent readings until the circuitry is warm, so I follow their suggestion and the rifle shells I load with it produce one-hole five-shot groups with 15 to 30 FPS extreme velocity deviation, so it must not be drifting for me. The little Frankford Arsenal scale doesn't seem to care about warm-up time but I now give it at least 15 minutes and then weigh the same item three times. I've never seen any change in those weights whether I give it some warm-up time or not, but I feel better letting it warm up a little.

Frank, maybe letting your scale warm up for 30 minutes might help. My two chronographs used to occasionally give inconsistent readings for the first group of five shots run across them until I started turning them on before we walked down to the target backers to hang targets. Maybe that's just a quirk of some solid-state electronics?

Ed

Ed

20. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Pull Bang, did not mean to stear you to a $1000 scale, the Acculab Vicon VIC 123 was around $220. Its the same scale Sinclair (the metalic reloading people) show in their catalog for $300. Les

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.