1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital scale?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dutchman1968, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dutchman1968

dutchman1968 Active Member

I am looking for a good digital scale to weigh gun parts on or the whole gun for a reasonable price. Where can I purchase one? Any suggestions on brands? Anyone have any bad experience with any? Thanks Troy

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pact seems to be the best. Bulge.

3. maka

maka Member

I purchased mine from cabella's. I do believe someone on this site some time ago stated they were made by Pact. Works great, in addition calibration weights were included. Good luck.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sounds like you are talking about ounces and lbs not grains????

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a scale that will have a range up to about 10 or 15 pounds, right?

Metler Toledo probably makes the best scales, but I think they will be more than you want to spend.

The best way to do it is to use your bathroom scale. Just weigh yourself, then weigh yourself again while holding the part. This is not the most accurate way, but it works fine for weights that aren't critical.

Look for a scale with multiple ranges. One range that is broad enough to cover small parts up to the whole gun won't be very repeatable.

6. dutchman1968

yes, oz. and pound scale

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The digital 'postal' scales for $30 at wal-mart might meet your needs pretty good. The one I have weighs up to 9+ lbs, and down to 1/10 oz.

Bob

8. ABH

ABH Member

The US Postal Service sells scales at their facilities.Stop in and check them out.

ART H.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

These are far from digital but they are very accurate. In her antiques mall, my wife has two old grocery store meat scales that will do the job nicely. She sells such items for around $75. You can also find them if you hunt long enough at yard sales for around $15 (don't ask me how I know this, it would not be good for her business).

Calibration of these old scales is simple. There are typically two screws on the inside for gross and fine adjustments. I buy a five pound package of hamburger meat and a 15 pound turkey at the grocery store. The weight of these items, to the hundredth of an ounce, are stamped on the price label. After calibrating the scales with the meat, my wife will use my weight standards for a few fine dinners. What could be better?

Pat Ireland

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Take it to the hardware store. That is, if you just want to weight a gun once.

Post office would do it if you had it in a box.

The weighing youself method works fine on my bathroom digital scale.

HM

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

HM- The bathroom scales I have used always weigh 20 pounds too heavy.

Pat Ireland

12. dzeh

dzeh Member

I bought one on Ebay. Excellent scale (postal) and weighs up to 100 lbs.

13. checker

checker Member

I have a LS-30 digital scale $34.95 cost.....here is a review of it:
    LS-30 Electronic Shipping Scale. You can easily weigh packages and envelopes. Extremely accurate weight results, enable you to print your own postage. Much better than standing in line and waiting at the post office. Can also be used as a kitchen scale. Holds up to 30 lbs

This scale is sold under various brand names. It is made by two manufacturers in China, both of which make a similar product. This is a basic shipping scale with basic functions. It is a dual range scale that reads up to 30 pounds with accuracy of 0-2lb in 0.1oz and from 2lb to 30lb in 0.5oz. In KG mode this scale reads 0-1kg in 2g increments and 1kg - 14kg in 5g increments. The functions of this scale are quite basic; On/Off, Tare, 2 modes (Grams and Pounds:Ounces), a tray that has a built in tube holder (uses compression method) and that's about it!

I weigh my guns with it.....trouble free for 3+ years. Do a "google" search using LS-30 scale and you should be able to find one FS on net.

[​IMG]

14. Customstox

Customstox Member

I found used Mettler scales on ebay for a decent price.

15. dutchman1968

Thank you all, I ordered one on ebay. It is one that can weigh up to 36lb. It is kind of like the one above but black. I got it under $20 and thats with shipping. All Good Troy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.