1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital reloading scale....Which one is best?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yvonne, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Going to buy a new reloading scale. Which digital would you buy? I only reload shotgun ammunition.

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

There were a couple of RCBS 10-10's for sale on here. I have one and consider it the finest although there are other good ones out there too.

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I have a Lyman 1500 new in the box. $200 shipped.

blade819

4. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I just bought a hornady from midwest for just under $40.00. I have check it with my beam scale and it seems to work real well

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

About $130. 1500 grain capacity, 110V, a little static sensitive (set it up on a dryer sheet), sensitive enough and fast enough to be practical for culling suspected powderless rounds (Oops!). One of my better purchases.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Yvonne, I have a PACT I got from Midway for $100 and it is quite good.

I have one of those shirt-pocket $15 MTM jobbies I got from Precision, and it is quite good.

The secret to any digital scale is to check them often, zero them, set on a solid, flat base out of an air current, and let them 'warm up' before use.

I have good balance scales, too, but I find I use them more nowadays to do random checks of the digitals.

Bob

7. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I would go with one of the RCBS models.

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

RCBS

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a new RCBS I would sell for $40 -it is not the entry model-it is above that

Gene

10. 870compman

870compman TS Member

I am not sold on the digital scales. Just because a scale is digital that does not make it more accurate. I use a RCBS 5-0-5 scale to mesure the powder charge for shot shells.

The other thing is powder charges are on the low end for shot shells. The span on the 5-0-5 scale is in the low end which makes the significant figures greater for mesurements than on the larger scales.

The greatest advantage of beam scales are cheeper than digital scales and they work.

Dale Wolff

11. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

PACT brand. Fred

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've been using a Dillon for over 15 years. It's still works perfect.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Yvonne I use the RCBS and it comes w/2 weights to be sure the scale is correct.

I leave it on all the time, and never turn it off, it is now 4-5 years old and cost kme around $100 and am happy as a Lark w/it.

Another thing about the digital scale, is if you think you made a mistake weigh that shell and several others, and you can tell.

Especially on a loader where you back off the loading arm to correct something
    and powder or shot drops twice, but that is usually very visible. I needed it more using my PW Loader than the MEC, Have since sold the PW Loader, and went back to the MEC W/ adjustable charging bar, I have worn out 2 of the Universal Charging Bars and I am on my 3rd now.

Best thing since Cream Cheese and Bagels.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I have owned a pact for 25 years and never looked backed. I used to use the RCBS and for a long time compared the weights, they were always the same. I packed away the beam scale and use the pact. Beam scales are great scales, don't get me wrong. The digital scales are faster I think. I don't put it in on my reloading bench, I built a small shelf on the wall right above my reloading bench. Rick

15. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have the PACT digital scales.

On the down side.

I must set it up several days prior to a reloading session. If I don't it will drift off of "0" calibration. I must than recalibrate it, sometimes several times until it will hold.

By setting it up several days ahead, it will hold calibration (never understood this!).

Any digital scales is very susceptible to air currents and vibration. It must be set up on a separate table from your loading press and don't run any fans or have windows open.

On the plus side.

The PACT digital scales is very nice to work with and very accurate, I would not be without it. I will never go back to a beam balance scales.

If you follow the suggestions above, a PACT (or any make) will serve you very well, go for it.

Frank

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'm with shot410ga on this one. My Dillon has worked flawlessly for years. I don't know if Dillon makes it or it is made by another company, but if it ever fails I'll buy another.

I've been over beam type scales for years.

ss

17. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Hello-how many company's that manufacture digital scales do you think there are?

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I also have an older Dillon that has served me well for a very long time. Balance beam and digitals each have drawbacks. The balance beam is affected by where it's located on your bench/table. If you zero it in one place, it's not necessarily accurate if you move it to another; sometimes only inches. So re-zero-ing may be necessary when it's moved. The digital's down fall is that it's affected by any breeze at all. I work in a closed garage to avoid breezes and even then sneak up on the scale to avoid creating any sort of air movement around it. Which do I use? The digital most of the time and I check it's accuracy with pistol or rifle bullets of known weight. The balance beam does come out occasionally when I'm feeling really anal......breakemall

19. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have used a PACT for maybe 15 years now and it has been flawless. Check weights came with it and it's always right on the mark. Balance beam scales are not always the answer either. I had a cheap Lee that was junk. Most balance beam scales work great if you don't mind that they are slower. Whatever you get, make sure you have some check weights so you can recalibrate it if necessary.

20. andybull

andybull Active Member

You asked:

www.6mmbr.com/prometheus.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.