1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital powder scale

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Any recommendations for a decent digital scale that won't cost an arm and a leg? Found one at Cabela's but it didnt' get good reviews. Any thoughts? Thanks... Jill

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try PACT - Us made, great service and lifetime guarantee.

I think they make the RCBS one under contract.

You CAN buy cheaper ones (typically made in China or the far east), but the service I have gotten from PACT over the years has been exceptional.

I load for rifles and pistols as well - they have a scale linked to an automatic powder dispenser. It came out after I bought my scale - no problem just send it back and for a small fee they up-graded my scale to work with the dispenser.

As up-grades come forth they have always offered a reasonable up-grade for older items.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have had my PACT scale for almost 20 years. It has always performed well.

Jim Skeel

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have the RCBS scale about $89.95 for 5 years now very accurate and dependable I leave it on all the time at laoding bench.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought a Pact 6 years ago, never used it much and one day it would not operate correctly. I checked it with two balance beams and it was way off. Sent back to factory and my experience with thier customer service was not good. I did finally get it back after 6 months and it works fine now but I will stick with the mechancial scales

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I have the PACT digital scales since April 2006. This scales has served me well. However, the scales is very finicky is holding to zero, it will drift off. The only way that I found to control this is to set the scales up and turn it on the day before I want to load. I have the scales set on three layers of mouse pads (to eliminate vibrations) and there is no draft/breeze. Also, the scales is on a separate table to eliminate vibration from the reloader.

Be-leave me, if you never had a digital scales, you are in for a treat, until you get over the learning curve. Once you master the nature of a digital scales you will like it.

Like I said, I had my digital for over three years and really like it.

Frank

7. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

I thought these were easy to use, am I better off with just a mechanical beam scale? Jill

8. RJ

RJ TS Member

I've had a Pact for six years. I have sent it in two times now and this was for checking and cleaning. I also sent my Lee Beam scale in for a checkup. All has comeback AOK as to coin a phrase from NASA. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

9. superump

superump TS Member

Hey, if you don't mind spending a arm and a half a leg which one is the best? I want a dispenser/scale combo and the RCBS dispenser and scale looks really good but there is a lot of bad reviews on it?

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

The PACT is a POS. Could not keep it accurate. I had a Lyman that was great but lost in in a flood. Gave up on digital and went back to a beam scale.

Tom

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

As far as accuracy goes any beam scale can't hold a candle to a good quality digital. Beam scales will vary all over the place. I used to sell scales of all kinds.

12. 33 Willys

33 Willys Member

About 6 months ago I looked online and found a site www.rightonscales.com. They have a section for reloading scales priced from $34.50 to $429.50. I purchased the PalmScale v8.0. It was every thing that I needed. Make sure that you get one that has a .1 grain reading. It also uses AAA batteries rather then more expensive Lithium button batteries. The digital scale is so much faster and easier to use then my 40 year old Lyman/Ohaus M-5 beam scale.

Ken

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I load to save money. The scale at the link is all you need for shotgun reloading.

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I purchased a Frankford Arsenal digital scales from Midway USA over 3 years ago and it's still working great. I believe it was less than 30.00 with shipping. Steve

15. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

The one above has never let me down.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Cheap digital powder scales are an answer looking for a question. The digital scales sold to reloaders are mostly toys; they're dumbed-down versions of serious technology and designed to get a manufacturer's foot in the door of a lucrative market. Say the word "digital" around people who like gadgets, their eyes cloud over and they come running with fists full of dollars. Speedy weighing isn't an issue unless you feel compelled to weigh every powder drop. And anyone who tells you that a beam balance isn't accurate enough for 12 ga. work has way too much free time on their hands... "Oh, woe is me! My powder drops vary by 2/10 of a grain. Whatever shall I do?"

Save yourself aggravation in the future and buy a balance.

MK

17. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Frank (Pull Bang), Have you checked your accuracy of the scale against a beam scale or calibrated weight when it sits on the 3 mouse pads? I don't know how critical it would be in grains as you are not putting a great load on the scale. I am no scale expert but I have worked with scales in the food industry for the last 25 years and my experience is that electronic scales must be plugged in for several hours for best accuracy and must be placed on a solid level surface to get best results.Electronics perform best when they are warm.

Dave

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I reload to save money. I want something good enough. A Lee balance beam certainly good enough for shotgun reloading. A cheap digital probably isn't.

19. philk

philk Member

Have a Dillon,no complaints what so ever, would never go back to a balance beam.

20. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Dave

Thanks for your comments. No, I have not compared it to my beam balance scales. I will be loading Thursday and will, out of curiosity, compare it to by beam scales.

I set my digital scales up on Saturday, it should be warmed up. Also, I will put it on a solid surface and see if the calibration drifts off.

MK

I realize that the PACT digital scales are not on par with a high end industrial digital. I have had experience with industrial digitals where I worked (prior to retirement). We used these scales enclosed in a clear plastic cabinet because of their sensitivity to the slightest breeze.

However, for my reloading, the Pact has served me well.

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.