1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital or Beam Scales

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shaner72, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaner72

Shaner72 TS Member

Hi just got into reloading shot shells an was looking at scales.I was looking at a cheaper digital scale made by hornaday an was wondering if it was good enough as far as accuracy. If anyone could point me in the right direction with out spending a fortune that would be great. Thanks

2. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

I have good units of both types, but I still trust my beam the most.

I have never found the electronic one to be wrong when I check it - which I do about 20 times as much as I check the beam scale.

If you do buy an electronic one be sure to get a set of check weights. I suggest them for the beam scale as well but I think that they are quite as important there.

JB

3. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Hornady 1500 digi and lee beam, does fine for me.
    Railroad

4. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Digital scales have their issues, like an extended warm up time before the zero is consistent, easily deflected by wind currents, need for stable, level base.

You can also have some of these problems with a beam scale, so I use both an RCBS 5-0-5 scale and a Cabela's 1500 gr digital.

The digital gets used more for weighing brass and bullets in metallic reloading. The powder measurements I mostly trust to the beam scale for setting up, then check as I am loading on the digital as it a faster method when just confirming a powder weight.

If I had to pick just one it would be a beam scale hands down

5. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

I have both and use the balance beam for shotshells. It takes too long to calibrate an electronic one just for and occasional shell.

BK

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I leave my digital pluggged in all the time, have been doing it for over 5 years now. I check it with the weights for accuracy, have not used my balance beam scale since purchasing it.

Using an adjustable charge bar on my Mec I just dial in my sot and powder charge and go.

Faster, simpler, very safe to use.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If all you're going to weigh is powder, the cheapest beam balance will suffice. If you're going to weigh shot or maybe loaded shells the beam balance is way too slow and may not have the capacity either. In that case get an electronic balance with a 1500 grain capacity. My personal favorite is a PACT, however, it does cost $130. Good luck.

8. Shaner72

Shaner72 TS Member

Thanks everyone for gettin back to me. Take care

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

beam scale period

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

For shotshell loading I think you'll find a simple beam scale more satisfactory.

John C. Saubak

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Balance beam is cheaper, accurate enough, easy to use, but it does need to be re-zeroed any time you move it from place to place even on your work bench or desk. Digital costs more, you generally can move it all you want, and should be accurate and fast. Both are affected by a little breeze; maybe the digital is more prone to that but my balance beam starts to wiggle with any breeze just like the digital so?.....Bob Dodd

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Beam scales are accurate, so are electronic scales. Both must be checked now and then. Beam scales are cheaper but they are harder, at least for me, to store. Electronic scales are faster and more convenient to use.

I have both types, but only use my PACT electronic scale. It saves me a little time.

Pat Ireland

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I sold scales for many years. Electronic scales are, usually, much more accurate than beam scales. Beams get worse over time. Beams also vary quite a bit. I guess if accuracy is not so important in reloading why even weigh?

14. John391

John391 TS Member

I own both and put my balance scale in the attic. There is no question they both work but reloading is much easier and faster with a digital scale. John

15. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

EBAY = Good Low priced scales!If you load rifle or pistol you can use the bullet for a scale check!Say 40 grain bullet or 90 grain use these to check the accuracy of the scale. PJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.