1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital hearing protection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tom pond, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom pond

tom pond TS Member

I hate foam/reusable earplugs. When I use them I feel like I have a head cold with plugged up head. I dont like ear muffs because they interfere with my stock. I like the way the digital ear muffs work by amplifying voice and blocking out gunshots. Has anybody tried the digital earplugs, if so, what brand are the best? Thanks, Tom.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I tried the E.A.R type and couldn't get them to seat properly. Used them for 4 years and probably damaged my ears more than if I had used foam.

I have a pair of BIGPAPA's silicone injected fitted ear plugs now. Best I've had.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

They work great, had the first set 20 years, finally didn't fit my ears anymore
    I got the analog ones for 800, but you can spend up to 2500 for the best digital ones.
    If they don't fit correctly they won't work right. If Setterman's didn't fit right, he should have sent them back for a redo. They take a mold from your ears, which serve as a back-up set if you lise them,etc.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

You guy do what ever you feel is cool. For my money and speaking as one who has a profound hearing loss. I don't put anything is my ears that will amplify sound on the firing line. Just seems counter productive to me.

If I spend a total of 3 hours out of the entire day on the firing line I can live with a stuffed head feeling for that length of time. After all it isn't like I am going to the opera is it.

Bob Lawless

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

I love the feel of foam ear plugs in my ears. It tells me that I am ready to shoot.

Pat Ireland

6. Mike562

Mike562 TS Member

I use the esp analog and think they are awesome. i have found that as i am shooting i have them turned all the way down though as it is too distracting being able to hear everyone talking, etc. As a side benefit they are great for hunting also and much more comfortable to wear than muffs.

7. Mike562

Mike562 TS Member

I use the esp analog and think they are awesome. i have found that as i am shooting i have them turned all the way down though as it is too distracting being able to hear everyone talking, etc. As a side benefit they are great for hunting also and much more comfortable to wear than muffs.

8. Mike562

Mike562 TS Member

9. Mike562

Mike562 TS Member

10. Mike562

Mike562 TS Member

11. Mike562

Mike562 TS Member

12. Mike562

Mike562 TS Member

13. Mike562

Mike562 TS Member

14. Mike562

Mike562 TS Member

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Someone needs a release mouse.

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

As I sit here with ear drops in my ear from an ear inflammation/infection that may have come from my fitted plugs and a shoot last Saturday I have decided that I am going back to E.A.R. foam plugs. They have a higher reduction rating than even my fitted plugs and I will be opening a fresh bag of 2 for each use. Think about it. How many times do you clean your fitted plugs. Do you lick them clean or wipe them off on your shirt or pants. Do they hang in the plastic pouch on your shooting bag in your car and get taken out at each shoot where you scrub the brown crust off with your finger nail. Between rounds do you drop them in the bag or your pocket or the pouch where all of the last years germs have been fermenting in the sun. Just my 2 cents.

--- Chip King ---

17. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Good point Chip. I think I will start carrying prep pads to clean mine.

Jim brown

18. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I use EAR Digital and they are the best investment that I have ever made. I wish I used them years ago. However, they do eat up batteries.

blade819

19. MilfordMike

MilfordMike TS Member

When I have my "in the ear poured ear plugs" made by my audiologist, she is imperative about wearing nothing in your ear on the range that electronically "shuts off" sound. Why? Her reasoning is that it takes the electronic device in the ear plug a few milliseconds to sense the sound and then another few milliseconds to shut it off. All this time your ear is exposed to the full blast noise of the shot even though you cannot feel it. Over time this can have the same effect as not using any plugs at all. Also, for what it's worth, she also recommends using outside muffs over the in the ear molder plugs for max protection. These facts she knows as it's her lifes' business -
    Mike

20. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Electronic ears do not shut off the sound. They muffel the lower decibles associated with shotgun blasts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.