1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Delay

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mixer, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Congress has just voted to delay the switchover to all digital tv until June 12 from the Feb 17 date. Too many tv antenna users (6.5 million) that don't have their converter boxes yet.

Eric

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

OK, I have to ask.....how many here still use rabbit ears (any antennas) anyway???

3. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Here in Wisconsin(Madison) some, if not all TV stations will quit broadcasting analog at the end of the day on Feb.17,2009.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's not just rabbit ears, it's also any antenna used for over the air analog reception. As far as GWII's statement I think he'll find that nothing will change come Feb 18.

Eric

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I still use antennas.

I did buy the converter box's. One TV is LCD with digital tuner but if fails the digital test but passes the test when using the box. And yes, I programed the box. Some times the signal was weak and did not get a good picture. Even had to re scan the channels a couple of times. Finally just disconnected the box and will just wait till I have to use it.

Now, the box in the living room works good and never had to re scan it but we still leave it off unless I want to see a weather channel.

My antenna system and reception is great.

Also, what am I to do with my 12 volt TVs and the 2 inch screen portable that I can carry in my pocket. Also what about the 12 volt TV in the van? I have about 6 12 volt portable TVs that will be useless. One does have plugs where I can play a VCR through it.

Also, will my VCRs record the digital signal? I would guess not. I have 5 and I guess that all they will be good for is to watch my old movies on my old TVs.I counted 16 all total.

I have the flat screen LCD monitors that came with the computers but I still like and use the CRTs. Ray

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have about five little portables I use while working around the house. All use rabbit ears and are barely bigger than the converter boxes. The new digital stuff leaves this class of TV watching out. I don't like itbut what are you going to do?

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Rest assured that eventually new portable tv's will have digital converters built in. I think but not 100% sure that Radio Shack is offering them now. TV set makers are very aware that there's a whole new market for digital ready portable tv's and they are going to jump on that opportunity.

Eric

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

The delay is VOLUNTARY. If any analog station wants to stop broadcasting Feb. 17th, they can. Some will just to save the electricity running two transmitters. A LOT of stations currently have their digital signals up and running and will gladly kill their analog transmitters.

I know I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think the voluntary clause was the reason it passed.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Actually several of my neighbors have installed antenna's and are canceling cable due to cost. There are 12 channels here available free. I watch TV with an antenna in my garage loading room and I get great reception and all the channels I need

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

We also cancelled cable. We got tired of paying over $110 a month for cable which also included internet access. No more cable and a DSL line for internet. Now we've got a $30 a month bill (for internet). We get 5 FREE channels and this is rural Vermont. Plenty of TV for us.

Bruce
    kb1iix@arrl.net

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Please, if someone can explain the necessity of the change to digital signal, NOW. It has to benefit someone or the government wouldn't be pushing it down our throats. You will have to have converter boxes or cable connection (or disc's) to view it. Who is it meant to benefit? Did I miss that part of the explanation?

Big Jack

12. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

One beneficiary will be first responders, who will receive some of the spectrum freed up. (9/11 resulted in a greater portion of the spectrum to be assigned to public safety communications.) Another portion has been auctioned to companies involved in wireless data transfer. I forget the exact figure, but I think to the tune of 12 billion bucks already.

Look, this has been in the works since the Telecommunications Act of 1995, and the original planned cut-off was in 2006. So it's been extended once before, partly because inexpensive converter boxes weren't on the market for folks with analog sets getting TV over-the air (OTA). The other reason is many broadcasters weren't ready.

Notice the delay is voluntary, and many analog stations are already gone, the broadcasters having switched to digital. For many stations that have filed plans with the FCC and scheduled necessary work, delay will have serious consequences. The old lower VHF transmitters need to come down and the UHF transmitters optimized for their new assigned channels.

One benefit is that a given frequency can carry several sub-channels, or depending on bandwidth, an HDTV channel. Digital is all or nothing, you get an adequate signal or you don't, no snowy picture. People in fringe areas are going to be affected negatively, many will need a taller antenna or will have to go to satellite. For more info, such as a list of stations in your area, what antenna type you'll need, direction of each station in degrees, etc., go to:

http://www.anteannaweb.org

Nevertheless, only a moron would schedule this thing for the dead of Winter. Tower work is dangerous enough. I bet Congress was thinking: after the election, and after the Super Bowl. Which puts it in Sweeps period of course. [smacks head]

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Doggai,

Does your tv have another set of inputs besides the antenna connection? If so that's where you can connect any external sources like a DVD or VCR unit.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.