1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hello everyone. I am thinking of purchasing a camera, this would be my first one, I would like those of you who own one to give me your opinions. I am looking for the best quality for price, one that will last a long time, and most importantly very easy to use for a complete NOVICE. Thanks everyone.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I have the Cannon Power Shot !!! Its a great little camera. It has 4 time optical zoom (digital zoom worthless) and its a point and shoot camera as well. I have some photo's taken from 600-1000 ft up in a aircraft over Fort Jefferson off the Fl. Keys. I even had some enlarged for my Parents 50th Anniversary along with some others (over 50 mph in car through the windows in car and plane down in the keys on top of some of the taller briges) They look like a professional took the shots. You can find them in the $150 price range if on sale. Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

My sister is eccentric and took a large amount of photos with her instamatic film camera. I bought her the best Sony Cybershot camera available for her birthday. As a demonstration to her, we shot several pictures, took the camera to Wal-Mart and instantly printed the individual pictures she wanted to keep.

We created a monster, while before she shunned anything new technologically, she has now obtained a laptop computer and is bombarding everyone with pictures.

I personally own two Olympus digital cameras which are great, however for the technically challenged you can't beat the Sony, just put it on auto and click away.

Robert

4. Loyac

Loyac Member

If you want something that is going to last, get a GRAFLEX. Mine still works... Now if I could only find sheet film for it. John

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

How about the Brownie Hawkeye? They are simple to operate.

GNE J

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Nikon Coolpix. Bill Malcolm

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If you get one DONT get one that has a battery pack. I like the cannon I have 710 and it will do everything I can do . Make sure it uses the batteries {AA} that you can buy any place

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Take a good look at a Sony Cybershot!

AA batteries

you can install a 4gig chip

compact

6 megapixel

Zooms from wide angle to telephoto

under $200

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Two years ago I was 1000 feet in the air, at night, atop the Eiffel tower struggling to get some good pictures. Out of many people on the trip the two with little Olympus FE230 cameras were able to get the most spectacular shots in all light levels. I bought my wife one and she loves it. Simple to use, 7.1MP, slim, reliable, inexpensive. My only gripe is that the delay between pressing the button and the shutter operation seems slightly longer than with my last camera (Sony).

-Gary

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

have a look at the Casio model as well....

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Panasonic makes a goof point and shoot...optical zoom is important...get as much as you can....

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Canon and then Nikon. Canon for ease of use, but if you want Professional photos, go with the Nikon. Just about any digital with at Least 5 Mega Pixels will take some really good photos.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

GW22. I'd send this to you as a PM, but others may get some value to my post. The "Point-and-shoot" cameras I am famaliar with have a common feature in the push button. That is, that you aim your camera at the subject, press the button about half-way down (till you feel resistance) adn if you are watching the screen you will see the camera go thru its adjustments to give you the best picture of the subject. Lighting, focus, etc. Then keep holding the button at half mast till you get the subject doing exactly what you want to capture and as you get that perfect picture in the screen, press the button the rest of the way. There will be no hesitation.

Of all the features on a point an dshoot camera, I think th e large magnification of "Optical Zoom" and the big viewing digital screen are th efeatures that make the cameras giv eyou the most bang fo rthe buck. I personally like the smaller cameras, because of theri portability. But my next camera will likely be a SLR style andlikely too, a Nikon. Recently our local big Twin Cities camera store seems to have higher prices on Cannon and somehwat lower on Nikon.

And too, the one singular feature that any camera user should learn is how to "download their pictures to a "New Folder" on their computer. I do not file pictures on the program that comes wiht my Nikon. Rather I make an individual "Folder" for each download and then they are really easy to find when emailing or attaching or posting to the internet.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I gravitate towards the Canon cameras. The SD series is a great choice for a beginner. It depends a lot on what you are looking to do with it. The compact SD1200 or similar units will do for most situations. A longer reaching optical lens and image stabilization can help on the longer shots and some lower light situations. Stay away from proprietary or odd memory types like Sony's Memory Stick or XD cards. The SD Card is the best bang for the buck. Getting a unit that uses common batteries is a good point, but I have no trouble with buying a few extra aftermarket batteries and keeping them charged up. SOmetimes you can get a really good deal on a discontinued model. They seem to refresh them once a year or so.

15. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Go to your nearest Staples store and ask one of the salespersons to help you. Explain what you want and the use you will be giving it and you will be able to get a first hand lesson package along with the reviewing of all the cameras they have on hand. I bought a Coolpix by Nikkon and that's where we got it and we are satisfied. Dan

16. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Go to www.dpreview. It's highly informative.

17. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Paladin has it right that is the best camera review sight I have found and I have used it every time I buy a new camera. Use the drop downs and if in a hurry go to the conclusion page.

18. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Check out Paladin's and rjh's posts. The dpreview site gives you the low-down on the camera while the kenrockwell site tells you how to tweak the camera to give you better pictures. The point-and-shoot cameras while easy to use in terms of portability and simplicity may hamper the creativity in you. Taking good pictures require more than just a good camera, it also requires a good eye in spotting what would make a good picture.

If I just want to preserve some moments, I trot out the Casio. But if I were into serious picture-taking I take the trouble to bring the Nikon D90. Ken Rockwell's website helped maximize the potential of the Nikon.

Chichay

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks, Jack. I'll try that.

-Gary

20. John391

John391 TS Member

Hard to beat Canon or Nikon. If you want a point and shoot pick a Canon and read the manuel. They all work great. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.