1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

digging a pond

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by KS trap, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS trap

KS trap Member

Anyone ever dig out a pond with small equipment like a micro excavator or smaller piece of equipment.

I have a very small 40 foot by 60 foot pond that went dry over the summer and was thinking of digging it about 4 foot deeper and adding about 20 feet or so to width and length. Id like to see a handul of ducks land on it but its just to small now. It also helps keep more deer around when water is there for them to drink after they eat soybeans.

Dont want to spend much.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

KS Trap.... Where are you? Do you have a permit to dig the pond deeper? Here in Florida you can't do it even if its on your own property without a permit from the Water Management District. Learned the hard way.... tried to do it on some property that I was part owner. All the owners agreed but we still ended up in trouble.

Tom

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Be aware of your state DNR and the EPA - although you have a pre-existing, and obviously seasonal body of water someone somewhere might decide you are messing with wetlands and come after you.

I suspect the 'public visibility' of the pond would play a factor in how you might proceed.

That being said, you might find an excavation company willing to 'moonlight' on a Saturday or Sunday - something like $800 for eight hours of digging (I am making up these numbers) and see where it gets you... The learning curve on excavators is steep, especially in the mud and muck of a pond.

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, make sure that you "dish" the edge of it. Any drop offs can be dangerous. Bill

5. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

What are the dimensions?

One consideration is to just dig the center half of it down to about 18 feet- then you will have a pond that will hold fish with no winter kill but still maintain that shallow area for fish breeding and ducks- etc- except in dry years

Hiring a company to do that while it is dry might be pretty inexpenisive if you shop around there is equipment sitting

Try Craigs list also- lots of private owners/operators

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

I deepened on once and messed it up. I broke the seal of the bottom and it never held water good after that. I would leave the bottom alone and raise the sides. Of course that depends on where its at and how the water gets into it.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'd find some one with some experience in the type of work you want done. You would probably have to dig deeper than you want and then lay down a layer of clay or some type of barrier to seal the bottom. Then again there might be a natural barrer. That is one reason why soil samples are taken before hand.

8. KS trap

KS trap Member

Appreciate all the info.

Thank You

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

get a bunch of bullheads to seal the bottom after you are done digger it out.

10. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

KS, I suggest first digging the silt out of the pond before enlarging it. A medium sized tractor with a loader should be able to handle the job. Just remember to dig all the way to the original bottom first, then spread out from there. If you don't you will get tired of pulling the tractor out of the mud. I know this from experience.

As far a enlarging the pond, it's hard to beat a dozer and that's what it was probably built with originally. As you probably know, dozers come in many sizes.

As for not spending much, you can forget about that. All equipment is expensive to rent or buy except for shovels and wheelbarrows.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

We have 5 ponds on our place two were dug but an excavation company as they were rather large, they moved 68,000 cu yds of material and have about a 9 acre pond, I think it's a ,little smaller but the FSA says they can tell by satellite what size it is , had a D9, D10, and 6 19 yd scrapers here for 26 days (miss the days when the economy was good) the other three I dug with my 5520 John Deere and a small 3 yard scraper that I own, the 4 WD made a lot of difference

If the pond is dry and you can drive through it and you have or know somebody with a tractor that is big enough, you might want to check into renting a scraper, they make it much faster, the 5520 is about 100 HP it handles my scraper real well, there are rental companies that rent scrapers.

All of our land is gumbo clay until you get down about 8-10 ft then it turns to yellow clay, our ponds leak very very little and they are all 16-18 ft deep

We use the big ponds for the heat sink for the geo heat pump I built for the house, not a bad deal I have about $1200 in the system my wholesale cost on the the unit commercially built was about $10-12,000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

digging a pond with my tractor for 6 ducks how big should i dig it

forum on digging a pond