1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diffrences in Remington 870 Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SARGE75X, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Now I know this has been brought up before but I did a search and nothing came up. A couple years back I bought the anniversary 870 trap and for myself I found it had a very high POI. Now I have a opportunity to pick up one of the single shot "Competition" single shot models made in the early 80's. So my question is "What is the diffrence of all these models, TB, TC,Competition and the Anniversary. I know the Competition has the vent system but I'm wondering about POI.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Most older Remington trap guns were very flat shooters and to my knowledge, they were, too.

Ed

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The Comp is a different stock and different barrel and shoots a little higher but not a lot. It does have the best barrel Remington ever made ( in my opinion) The Comp at todays market will be a good investment sure to go up

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Trap was just a standard wingmaster with a little higher impact and straighter stock and the Bradley bead. TB was a higher grade of wood, a "trap" choke either in full or mod, and TC was higher grade wood yet as well as (at the time we got ours) "hand honed action". They offered $ grades for a while long ago. Competition, as you are probably well aware, was single shot with an 1100 style gas system that didn't work anything but did absorb recoil to some degree. They're still popular around Peoria.

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

years ago rem 870 tb, stood for trap with b grade wood. tc stood for trap with c grade wood. tc trap wood has a slimmer pistol grip to reduced the weight of the better figured wood. when the price of 870 trap guns started to get a little pricey, rem came out with the ta model trap gun with plan jane wood. these guns shoot basically the same. when you see a rem trap gun made in the 50's early 60's the rib will be a little different. the chokes are longer and these guns tends to shoot a little higher. when rem came out with the competition models, they redesigned the dimensions of the stocks. they made the straight stock, meaning non montecarlo, higher than the monte carlo stock. when rem was starting to get ready to produce their barrels with choke tubes, they first came out with a thicker barrel in the choke area without choke tubes. these guns come with a bigger bore and a dime will fall through the barrel. these are still full choke. if you can ever get this barrel, no other 870 barrel compares to this particular barrel. i don't know what rem was thinking when they came out with their choke tubes? the choke designation did not conform to the standard industries diminsions, as full, im, m, etc. most people including myself feel rem made a very poor choke tube. most people i know switched from rem tubes to another brand. i have owned every 870 made in trap except for the F grade.
    steve balistreri
    rem 870 collector

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Types of 870 trap guns. 870 TA-economy grade with plain wood has a trap stock but no stamping on gun fixed chokes. ---870 TB stamped TB with better wood. Most had fixed chokes.--- 870 TC stamped much better grade of wood on earlier models.Early models had fixed chokes.Later model TCs had Rem chokes with overbore barrels and later models had extended forearms.--- 870 'ALL-AMERICAN" had fancy scrool work and really nice wood. 870 trap F model built in the custom shop. Had some nice scroll work and absolutely GORGEOUS wood. all I have seen had fixed chokes.---- 870 "competition" this was a single shot 870 that had a gas compensating system. Really reduced recoil, but proved not to be very popular which is too bad given it's reduced recoil.

7. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Thanks for clearing that up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

870 trap

870 trap review
870 trap stock

remington 870 all american trap gun

remington 870 competition trap review
remington 870 tb trap