1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Diffrence Between A 2 3/4 " and a 3" Beretta 303?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superxjeff, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Trying to find out the diffrence between a magnum 303 and a regular 2 3/4 inch 303.

The chamber may be longer for sure but what about the action? Is it a number of ports in the barrel issue? recoil sprong? gas piston? I would like to have a 303 magnum back up gun and I have a brand new 303 action and I was hoping I could use it with perhaps just minor modification?

Anybody know for sure? Thanks in advance for any help.Jeff

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Diffrence Between A 2 3/4

I'd say 1/4"! but I'll let the experts chime in. :) From what I understand the receivers are the same. The 3" magnum guns had a heavier recoil spring, as well as the different barrel with smaller gas ports. Interesting thread in Shotgunworld. See link above. Mark

3. Stickdp

Stickdp Member

3" gun will have smaller gas port holes-- you might have to open them up a bit to shoot target loads

4. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

true on the gas ports, and spring..

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Right... But is that all??? I have a 3 inch barrel and I have no intetion of shooting 2 3/4 inch shells.

I am most concerned about any diffrences in the action. Jeff

6. Seamus O'Caiside

Seamus O'Caiside Active Member

After examining several guns and carefully searching the factory parts lists, I have not been able to find any differences between the actions of the 3" and 2 3/4" A303 - with the possible exception of a magnum recoil spring which is no longer available.

Earlier Beretta models (prior to the A302) did have some differences - the operating rod, ejector, and ejector spring were beefed up in the Magnum models. Beginning with the A302, all actions were Magnum actions, although the ones which left the factory with 2 3/4" barrels were not labeled Magnum.

I have seen references to a magnum recoil spring, but the factory parts lists no longer identify any such spring - they say that all the 30x models use the same spring.

Barrels with 3" chambers have smaller gas ports. Magnum guns came from the factory with recoil pads instead of thin butt plates. The magnum guns I have seen had Pachmeyer White Line pads, and I believe they were original. There may be some difference in stock dimensions - the part list gives different part numbers for stocks for magnum models, but I have not measured them to compare.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Thanks for that information Seamus O'Caiside!

I hope the stocks are the same because I want to use my Soft touch stock on my 3 inch duck gun. I shoot a 390 Mostly when I am not shooting my 10ga or my 28ga for ducks but I would like to have a soft touch without having to spend the extra money since I already have a 303 target gun with a soft Touch. This way I would just add a 3 inch barrel and have e nice back up gun. Jeff

8. Seamus O'Caiside

Seamus O'Caiside Active Member

The stocks definitely will interchange. If there is any difference at all, it is only in the thickness at the butt - just like the difference between 391 field and sporting stocks. A thicker stock is a little heavier and spreads the recoil over a larger area of the shooter's shoulder. If the Soft Touch stock fits a 2 3/4" 303 it will fit a 303 Magnum.

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Jeff both the mag and the standard guns have everything the excat same. I mean everything except the barrel chamber and the gas ports. In the 3" barrel the gas ports are a little smaller. Nothing is different on the receiver or the recoil tube. In fact ALL 303's have the capability to shoot 3" shells as long as the barrel is a 3" barrel. Receivers are all the same. All barrels and wood will interchange. If you ever need to open up the gas ports on a mag barrel to shoot lighter loads use a reamer not a drill bit. I have the correct number in my tool chest if you need to buy one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

a303 3 inch magnum for trap

beretta 303 action spring

beretta 303 modifications

beretta 303 vs 303 magnum

berreta 303 3 inch for sale

can a berretta a 303 shoot 3 inch shells

does beretta a302 shoot 3 inch shells

what does the word magnum mean on a beretta a 303