1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty? 100@ 27 or 25 @ bunker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ffwildcat, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Great shooters are wonderful to watch, they make the extraordinary look easy.

I don't think there'll be too many that will lay claim to having done both (if there is I'd love to hear about it, that is some feat) but I am interested in the responses.

What say you multi-discipline shooters, what's more difficult to accomplish, running 100 from the 27 or running 25 in bunker?

I do not have any stats so I don't know the relative frequency of each. Needless to say, if I accomplish either I'll be crowing about it.

Oh, and just so we are clear, I don't care one way or the other, just curious.

2. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I used to belong to a club in CA that also had an Olympic bunker along with the American style traps & 25 straights from the bunker occurred far more often than 100 straights from 27 yards in American trap. John

3. ShotgunTraveler

ShotgunTraveler TS Member

I saw this thread yesterday and told myself not to post on it, but here I am, drawn to it like a magnet. Having accomplished both feats in my life, I will tell you that the 100 from the 27 is ten times more difficult than the 25 in bunker. Now, this is not to say that bunker is not a more difficult shooting discipline, it is just a different type of difficulty. You have a little room for error while shooting bunker because events are never won with perfect scores and one round of 25 is only a small portion of the total. This limits the amount of pressure on accomplishing the task of breaking all 25 on one sub event. On the other hand, in American Trap events, even the handicaps are won with perfect or near perfect scores placing a lot more pressure on the competitors.

Both are difficult, but in my opinion, the 100 from the 27 is the more difficult of the two, and one unbelievable experience when it happens.

Joe Pascoe

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why not make it a fair question ... 100 straight from the 27yd line or 100 straight from the bunker?

Why limit it to 4 rounds of ATA vs. just one round of International trap? Even it up and make it a straight up even comparison.

Which is easier ... 25 straight from the 27yd line of ATA or 25 straight on international trap?

Or maybe ... 50 straight from the 27yd line of ATA or 50 straight on international trap?

Or possibly ... 75 straight from the 27yd line of ATA or 75 straight on international trap?

Or best yet ... 100 straight from the 27yd line of ATA or 100 straight on international trap?

If people think international trap is so easy compare it bird for bird and see what they think.

Personally I shoot International trap 60% of the time with the rest of the time spent shooting either skeet or trap and I have on more than a few occasions stepped back to the fence to shoot with other 27yd line shooters and have had no problem busting targets. I have not shot less than 22 a round from the 27yd line in years. I'm sorry but anything related to ATA trap the targets do not fly as fast, they are larger, they are thinner, they do not fly at varying elevations and they dont fly at wide angles. The biggest problem I have is getting used to not leading the dang bird and not needing to swing the gun as much while shooting anything remotely ATA style vs. international ... thusly missed targets till I beat it back into my head that it aint the bunker.

Make this a fare question ... target vs. target and you will get a very different answer to your query.

5. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Iwould think there are alot more 25s in bunker than 100s from the 27.As the poster before me stated it is 1 round against 4.Bunker is definetly a more difficult dscipline but it is easier to be on for 25 than a 100.Either feat is beyond my capabilities and a great accomplishment.

Darr Wilson

6. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Apples to Apples any shooter who breaks 100 from 27 is Excellent that day ! everything was perfect in his skill . Bunker on other hand if you are on its not as difficult if your on . No mistakes from 27 costs a bird usually each mistake bunker is still correctible in my opinion . never ran 27 100 x 100 ran 25 bunker ! So 27 is my vote .

Pat Kelley

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Why does everyone dwell on the second allowed shot in bunker trap? If you could have a second shot in ATA people would dwell on that as well.

I dont take a second shot in bunker because I do not want to disturb my fellow shooter with a bouncing hull from my autoloader but I can still average 20+ per round of 25 ... yeah I know I should be shooting an o/u but the latest deal I had working for one fell threw.

So compare it now 1 shot vs. 1 shot bunker against ATA 27yd line ... like I suggested, make it a fair and equal comparison.

BTW ... if anyone says ATA is harder they most likely have never shot bunker trap.

8. ShotgunTraveler

ShotgunTraveler TS Member

I do agree with Lumper, if you compare apples to apples, and target for target, bunker is the harder discipline. But, the original question was not that. At the same time, it is much harder to win an ATA event than it is to win a bunker event. In previous olympic games, the shooting events only had between 50 and 60 competitors. Take that against the Grand American or other large shoots and I will take my chances every time on the bunker field.

I also agree with Lumper about the second shot. Chances are, if you miss on the first shot, you are also going to miss on the second shot.

With all of that said, I still stand that the 100 from the 27 is harder than the 25 in bunker. But face it, a good shooter is a good shooter and will prevail in any of the shooting disciplines.

Joe Pascoe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.