1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficult 2 understand Y this happens to shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    In late summer my wife and I went on vacation. We drove, and as usual I stoped at mostly every gun club that I could find. I have been shooting a long time and this phenomenon always amazes me to no end.

At one of the clubs that I stoped and shot at, there was a shooter shooting 16 yard and handicap with his old style BT99. The guy was shooting very well in both events. I started talking to him and he said he was seriously thinking of switching guns as he believed less recoil would result in more targets broken.

He had his BT since 1972 but thought it was time to trade this gun in on a like new condition Remington 1100 trap with choke tubes. I tried to talk him out of making the deal as I said instead of trading in the BT, keep it, in case the Remington does not work out.

The owner of the club allowed him to shoot both 16 yard and handicap with the like new but used 1100, and the guy shot the 1100 very well as almost every shot was smoke balls. After shooting 4 rounds he decided to trade in his gun even up.

After the paper work was signed for this transaction, he signed up for a couple more rounds. He shot a 16 yard round of 18 and this time just chiped targets, and then he shot a round of 25 yard handicap with a score of 19.

He said to me as he was walking off the trap, that he thought he made a big mistake. He walked into the club and he purchased his old gun back, swearing to never sell or trade his BT again.

What causes this phenomenon, that once you pay for a new gun, you can't shoot it well? I have seen this over and over again over the years.

Has something like this ever happen to you, or have you ever witnessed something like this before?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Concentration!

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

New gun syndrome---almost always results in good scores until you buy the gun.

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

The grass is always greener!

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It's a well known fact that you can shoot just about any gun well............until you buy it! lol

Hauxfan!

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Hawthorne effect

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

A new gun, not unlike Norm's Buffalo heard theory, has 2 maybe 300 smokeballs built in. Once those get out, the slower ones take over and mediocrity sets in....sort of...grin

best...mike

8. senior smoke

Hitapair:
    "New gun syndrome" that's a great name for it. Years ago, Frenchy Frigon allowed a guy to shoot 100 16 yard target event at the Waukesha State shoot. The guy broke 100 straight on Saturday's first hundred. He then purchased the gun, and then shot the second hundred and had a 91???

I know golfers who have done the exact same thing purchasing new golf clubs.
    Steve

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My opinion is that with a new gun the mind has no mental "anchors" that it is tied to, and is free to do nothing but focus on the target. Once we have the gun for a while we develop some knowledge about it's particulars, and that gives our conscious mind something to latch on to, (anchors) which interferes with the pure sub-conscious focus on the target necessary to shoot our best. One thing is for sure,it is a very real phenomenon.

10. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

I appreciate this string. I'm actually thinking of posting "Beware of New Gun Syndrome" on my office wall and near my safe. Like most people, I've experienced the phenomenon, but am still always on the lookout for the new gun that will make "all the difference in the world". I'm thinking that the biggest challenge is to shoot what I have (Remington 1100)- and shoot it well. I have also discovered that pure joy comes from doing something and being happy with the outcome, regardless of what actually happens. The joy should be in the doing/being.

I hope to rejoice when I score with a single tiny chip, when I smoke the clay, and even when I miss. Each shot is unique and each bears approximately the same odds of a break. If I expect to break a clay 95% of the time, the misses are special - possibly teaching moments.

This is not to say that I will stop buying guns. I will stop buying guns with the idea that the new one will make me a better shooter without practicing.

Larry

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

During the tryout, the shooter is watching the targets and letting his/her shooting and pointing skills (and habits) make each shot successful. After the gun is bought, the shooter begins "aiming"...concentrating on making the new gun work for him/her and...poof...the misses begin. Worse, with each miss, the shooter gets more and more focused on "aiming" and making the gun work. Happens to all of us. Regards, Ed

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

A gun that fits you better should make you more consistent.

I am very blessed. See below:

[​IMG]

There is no way I can pick up a new gun and shoot it well. I need a lot of cast off. I will be "stuck" with that ugly Trap Special until I stop shooting Trap.

Don Verna

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Don,

Are you a right handed shooter using your left eye to align down the rib? Either that or your right eye is in the middle of your head. There are other ways to correct that. LOL. I think you should have someone duplicate a custom all-in-one stock for you. That would be one wild looking stock. The blank would have to be four inches wide. Jon

14. senior smoke

Don:
    That's a very unique stock. If it breaks targets for you who cares what it looks like.
    Steve

What is interesting is how most of us trapshooters think. A large majority of us, including myself over the years have always searched for the magic wand. I forgot who originally said this but it was something like this. If you drive past a gun club and see shooters standing around looking into a trunk of a car at guns it's usually trapshooters.

I wonder if this phenomenon has ever happened to any of the all Americans?
    Steve

15. Crickets

Crickets Member

Every time i start getting into a slump, I pull out my old 870 trap- Always run 2 or 3 24s or 25 straights ( gets my confidence up)with it that 1 day. SWEAR its my new trap gun. Feel smug about my ability to shoot an old 870 so well. Might even have a couple 24s the next time out, but soon enough I feel the recoil, find it too twitchy etc... Start shooting 20s. Then I pull my O/U back out, realize how good it fits and how natural I feel with it and my slump is over. For me I think I pick up a bad habit every once and a while, using a different gun kind of "resets me".

16. senior smoke

Crickets:
    A man I know who use to be one of the best shooters in Wisconsin years ago would also pull out his old 870Tb if he got into a slump. He would go back to basics, and everything would eventually work itself out. Every shooter I know that shot an 870 years ago and then they decide to take the gun out of the gun cabinet always says the samething, "I can not believe I could shoot this gun as good as I did years ago with such a low stock".
    Steve

17. twotimer

twotimer Member

Don Verna, you are a very fortunate man to still be able to shoot being as crippled up as you are! LOL! We have a guy at our club that spends so much time adjusting his gun we have threatened to put wing nuts on it for faster adjustments. Mike

18. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Im glad to know my new perazzi [and I ] arent shooting any better than my 680 series guns,but I always wanted to try one.

19. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

My experience has been the exception...which is why I often quote, "it's the arrow, not the indian".

I went from three years of shooting a Browning XT, during which my trap doubles scores went into the 90's less than three times in over 4,000 registered targets. I switched to a K80 O/U, and my scores never fell below 90 on my last 1,000 registered doubles targets.

I went back to my XT, and shot an 84, which was in line with my previous experience with the XT.

So, it wasn't just about "getting better". And as far as gun fit, I made every adjustment possible to the XT to try to bring up my doubles scores.

I changed the comb on the K80 once, and it made no difference in my scores.

For me, the K80 just moves and points better. Expensive guns seem to shoot better for me. I'm just lucky that way.

But I do think the gun (arrow) matters, to a point. That has been my experience.

bluedsteel

20. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Ed Y:

Are you sure it's the Hawthorne effect and not the Rosenthal effect?

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rat grip