1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Different Tyre of Engraving (No Pictures)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ed Y, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had a friend from NY, Herb Trefeisen, who did some fantastic engraving prior to his passing. The last engraving that he was playing with was unlike anything that I had ever seen. Rather than cutting threadlike strips of steel to create a scene, the picture was made up of tiny digs/gouges of different depths that created the illusion of shading. He last did a set of 90-T sideplates that were just beautiful. I don't know if I have discribed this very well but I'd like to know if anyone Knows what it's called and who does it.

Ed Yanchok

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Bulino?

Bank Note?

http://www.engravingglossary.com/Hand%20Engraving%20Glossary%20B.htm

Bob

3. Ed Y

Bob

After looking at your link, I'm guessing that it was Bulino. My friend often offered to engrave a gun for me but I couldn't decide which gun or what I'd like on it. I waited too long. Herb was a real talent.

Ed Yanchok

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

That would most certainly be Bulino style of engraving. Looks great, but in my opinion its not suitable for a blued finish as bluing will cover up too much of the art detail.

French grey or or one of the nitrate finishes work with Bulino.

Also, while some can do almost photo realism with Bulinon techniques, I'm not sure how well it would hold up on a seriously used shotgun.

Cheers

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Ed, wasn't that engraving glossary a treat? I'm used to looking at stuff and saying, 'hmmmm ,,, I didn't know that ...'

Reading abt engraving, I realised real quick, I'd have to go to school for 2-3 years just to get up to ignernt.

Bob

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have a Cousin who makes scenes with crushed glass. He usually has 1 or 2 pieces hanging in the lobby of the Association For The Blind. The scenes have back lighting and it's said that the blind can actually "see" the pictures. They were featured on local TV back in the summer. I am not an expert in art but I think his works would be very costly if they were for sale.
    He will not sell anything, he doesn't need the money and he feels that if they are sold, they will end up in someones den and the majority of people will never see them. Larry

7. Ed Y

Bob,

I put that link on "My Favorites" list. Really neat and informative.

Ed Yanchok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pics of tyre engraver