1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Different Targets at the Southern Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Call me paranoid but after constantly watching the monitor over the past 5 days, I can't help but notice that in Caps all the high scores (if 95 is high) seem to be shot from low yardages. In Singles, all scores seemed a little lower, not many 100's. Along with my poor shooting, one must wonder if Silver Dollar is throwing differently than in the past? Weather can't be used as an excuse. Comments?

blade819

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

So is it the targets you are questioning or the target presentation?

If you ask they will tell you what kind of target they are throwing, or just watch the trap help hauling away the empty boxes.

If it is the presentation, watch them set the target to see if they are doing a good job.

The long yardage guys shot good caps earlier in the week.

Monday
    CHAMPION LUNSFORD V TANK WEST HARRISON IN 98

RUNNER UP LOVELESS I I MITCH MURFREESBORO TN 97

Tuesday

CHAMPION CAMPBELL JR HARLAN TRIBUNE KS 99

RUNNER UP DEHABEY MIKE TOLEDO OH 96

3RD PLACE LOVELESS I I MITCH MURFREESBORO TN 96

Wednesday
    CHAMPION PASCOE FRANK L NEW CASTLE PA 99

RUNNER UP HIGGS VERNE A SPARTA ON 97

I recognize most of these folks as 27 yard shooters.
    I think yesterdays winner was a short yarder, good for her.

JMHO YMMV

Enjoy the rest of the shoot.

Shawn

3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Not sure what is going on? A friend of mine is down there and he is 34 targets ahead of his scores from 2011.

If he just breaks 95 - 195 - 90 over the next three events he is looking at a 943x1000 target total....

He is a 27 yard shooter also....

FR

4. Shawn

Shawn Member

Mr Bryant
    Good shooting in todays cap. It should be good for a yard.

Shawn

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

(The joke that keeps on giving Doctor Jerry!) There has not been a lot of good shooting here compared to other large tournaments. The high scores in caps are low yardages. Someone got a radar gun I can borrow?

blade819

6. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

When I was there for The Dixie, it was my first time, but I had several people tell me that they were the best targets they had ever seen The Dollar throw and that supposedly there was a new guy setting and maintaining the traps.

Regards,

Chip

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have shot every event and each bank. I have no complaints about the targets or have heard any, even on the dreaded golf course side. The show is running incredibly smooth and ON TIME.

8. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I think the target setting has been very good. The background here is very tough and the wind tends to swirl here making the targets vary more then you might see elsewhere. Also the bright sun illuminates the targets nicely but when it goes behind a cloud it's almost like the lights went out. The scores I believe are higher then in the past. Good weather and very good target setting this year have helped.

Mark Zauhar

9. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

53 yardage punches in the Rem Nitro 27 caps event Friday....

Somebody did something right....

FRedmon

Congrats 2 Jerry!!!!!

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Target setting was near perfect. The infamous bank 6 took it's toll on many of the finest shooters. Doing away with preferential banks should be mandatory at all ATA events as it sure levels the playing field a bit.

That said, let's face it, target visibility often left a bit to be desired. Maybe we should take a better look at target color or lack thereof. This may be a sacrilege but I'm gonna say it, White Flyer paint leaves a bit to be desired. Way too thin and best described as "barn orange". Does anyone remember the old flourescent orange Remington targets from years ago? They actually glowed in the dark. With perfect light and no clouds they are bearable. These were often tough on old eyes. Ask most of the very best back yardage shooters and I'm sure they'll agree something's wrong!!

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Jerry, Ray Stafford is slightly better than both of us and he took a beatin'!!

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Oleollie has a point on paint, color, and visibility. Did a simple test a few years ago for our BOD. Very simply mixing targets in a stack of 9, alternating WF pitch, WF Bio, and Lawry. 100% of the people chose the target no one in our area wants to shoot. :) Go figure.

13. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I prefer all orange more than the black rimmmed targets. Different strokes.......

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

All Orange is better for old eyes. Bring them on!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.