1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Different size full chokes?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jon Powell, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Powell

Jon Powell TS Member

I have four Remington choke tubes all marked Full. One is a Trap choke, and a dime will fall through it easily. The others are regular full and turkey chokes which a dime will not pass through. I'm curious as to why the trap choke is more open than the others? I thought it would be the same or maybe a bit tighter. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Which would be better for shooting trap? Thanks in advance. Jon

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Maybe you have a small Dime ?? Full choke will be very different from one gun and one person to another . Anything over .032 can be called full choke . I like a choke around .034 and call it a full choke my old Model-12 Winchester is .039 and very full . The real test of a choke is how it does on targets . We worry way to much about chokes and shells .

ALF

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Remington, among other gun manufacturers are notorious for their poor quality and mis marked choke tubes. The dime is not an accurate indicator of a full choke.

What bore diameter is your barrel? Remington did make some over bored barrels. That will determine the choke designation, which is based on the amount of constriction. I've seen a full choke referred to as .030 to .045 in the past.

The "best" choke is the one that performs to your expectations based on the ammunition, desired results and yardage at which you are shooting. You need to pattern the gun on paper at the appropriate yardage to see if there are any holes in the pattern and what the pattern looks like. A friend of mine patterned his Winchester 101 and the pattern looked like a star ... he wondered why his scores were so inconsistent, until he saw the pattern on paper.

There are many theories on which choke to use for trap ... that is another thread all on it's own. There have been many in the past and the bottom line is to shoot what works best for you. Try different chokes at different yardages and determine what has the desired results. Bill Malcolm

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jon, the dime test is meaningless. Choke restriction is measured in relation to the bore. If you have a .729" bore and your choke measures .0689" you have .040" constriction. Anything between .035" and .040" is considered a full choke. My unsingle has a .745" bore and a .710" choke for a .035" constriction.

There is another camp that says constrictions are meaningless. A full choke is as a full choke does. For instance, a Superposed I owned threw 82% patterns from a .024" choke all day long. That is excellent "full" choke patterning from an Improved Modified choke.

There is a general consensus that something less than a real "full" constriction is the best for a one choke shooter for ATA trap. The reason being that ATA trap targets are generally taken between 25 and 42 yards if you include doubles, or 30 and 42 yards for singles and handicap. So the best all-around choke is something in between IM and "real" full. Consensus is around .032". Some call that full, others call it Light Full. That is probably what your "Trap" choke is.

As to which is better for trap, only the pattern board can tell you. Ideally you want to have between 75% and 85% PE at the distance you take your targets. For singles, figure an average of 34 yards and 42 yards if you are a quick 27 yarder. Once you have done that, forget what is written on the choke and just use the ones that give you the results you are looking for.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jon...... Re-read Steve's (ZZTs) post again. Now, re-read it again. Bore sizes and choke constrictions are just NUMBERS that help identify the bore and choke size of a particular barrel. They mean absolutely nothing, in themselves. What those numbers will tell you is that that particular barrel will throw 85% or 90% PE at the distance you take the target with that bore and choke size, nothing more.
    That bore and choke is only applicable to that barrel ONLY. Now, if you take another gun, re-work the barrel to the identical bore size and choke size of you current gun (even if it's the same make and model), you will immediately notice a different percentage of pellets in the PE. Maybe more, maybe less. The ONLY real indicator of the correct bore and choke for a given barrel is the pattern at the yardage you want it to shoot. When that barrel shoots the patterns you want, you can measure the bore and choke size and you will be amazed at the difference between the two barrels. The only real answer is the pattern board. As stated above, way too much attention is paid to what a certain bore is and how it is choked. What we should be paying attention to is how the barrel patterns and how it breaks the targets........ Just my opinion......Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Your question was which tube would be best for trap. The short answer is to try the least constrictive one first. You won't need a true full choke pattern until you move back quite a ways. The best thing for you to do is to pattern a variety of tubes at the approximate distance that you are shooting targets and select the tube that yields the pattern that is dense enough to guarantee hits on the target but also large enough in diameter to allow some margin of error. As mentioned earier, we tend to focus too much on things like choke and ammo, probably because we have so many options. Really what we need to work on is the person operating the trigger.

7. Jon Powell

Jon Powell TS Member

Thank you for all your responses. Sometimes I think I'd be better off if I stopped reading so much and just went out and shot. I appreciate all your help. You've given me things to try and think about. Thanks again. Jon

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

An 870 Comp I had that was marked FULL on the barrel had a 48 point vaporizer!

As was said before, numbers are just a guide to give you a starting point of what to expect.

You can take one screw choke and put it in three different barrels of the same make and get three different patterns. LOL

9. shrek

shrek Active Member

The choke tube that you have marked trap full is/ was intended for use in the over-bored barrels that remington put on trap guns for a while, which you can see at the following link.

http://www.remington.com/products/accessories/gun_parts/remchoke_specs.asp

10. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Measuring a choke with a dime proves two things. 1. you have a dime...2 you also have a barrel. Case closed.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

John correction on the PM...Model 1100 Classic Trap carries a 30" low-profile, light-target contoured vent rib barrel with standard .727" dimensions. Included are three specialized Remâ„¢ Choke trap tubes: Singles (.027"), Mid Handicap (.034"), and Long Handicap (.041"). The fore-end and Monte Carlo stock are semi-fancy American walnut with deep-cut checkering and a high-gloss finish. As most have stated you will find what choke works for you. I had several stock browning chokes, after much trial. Found them to be more open than what was written on them.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

smifshot- You seem to be unaware of the very great advantage of measuring a choke with a dime. Try my method the next time you are at the club. Borrow a dime from another shooter to measure your choke. Lightly stick the dime in your barrel and then slip the dime into your pocket.

With a little practice, you can become proficient with this method and it pays better than many options.

Pat Ireland

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington made a 12 guage trap barrel that had a tapered bore. The chamber end was larger than the muzzle end. This taper helped reduce pattern size. The choke tubes were marked trap full, trap extra full, and trap super full. These choke tube needed less constriction than normal choke tubes. I believe the trap full tube was .018. HMB

14. Jon Powell

Jon Powell TS Member

I appreciate all of your help. Jon

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

SportShot...yes and yes as long as the choke was untouched during the overboring

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You have to measure your chokes to see what they are. You can have several choke tubes, all marked the same, with very different measurements. You can measure them before you buy them if you can take them out of the package. If you can't you are stuck with what you get. I frequently read on different shooting web sites that choke is not that important. WRONG. The proper choke, no matter which shotgun game, can be the difference between a great score and an okay score. Sometimes the difference in a choke change can dramatically affect your score.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference between remington old choke tubes and new

different choke sizes

different chokes
different size shotgun chokes
full choke measurements

full trap choke is a what in regular

size of remington long handicap choke tube
using a dime to measure choke on shotgun