1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Different AAHS 28 ga Hull Dimensions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt Stockwell, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Good evening,

I recently read an article about the Winchester 28 ga. AAHS hulls being different sizes. Apparantly the older ones werer shorter and a tight fit for components. My question is: How do you tell the new AAHS from the older/shorter AAHS 28 ga. I heard some where about certain markings on the casings. Any help would be greatly appreciated if you have the answers to my question.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Sorry, the markings have not proven to be a reliable indicator. Group the cases by size and load in separate batches is the only reliable method of handling them.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Matt,

Make up a simple "C" gauge (plywood will do) and sort them. It is the only sure way to separate them.

Don Verna

4. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

all the HS hulls are darker red than the older ones and the older ones are a ton easier to load. Newer is not always better... Keith

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Winchester hulls are not length-consistent. As BobK says, take a calipers and sort them into longer/shorter and batch-load them. You will have to adjust the pre-fold and final crimp dies when switching between lengths.

The problem exists in 12/20 and 410 as well. Usually the extreme difference is about 1/16" (2mm), more than enough to create crimp problems. The only truly consistent-length hulls are Cheddite's.

- - Bill

6. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Thanks for the info. Why do some of the AAHS 28 ga hulls have a black box around the lettering on the hull. I thought that was some indication of when they were produced?

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I do not know why they have diffrent markings. As fior the old vs new argument? I think it's a ludicrus. Some of the old style AA's splt on the first firing or teh first reload others would crack the base. I can get 15 reloads at minumum out of the new Style hulls. The old style hulls were good depending on the era they were produced.

The old style hulls were not good for 15 reloads. The HS are. If you do not have 1000's of hulls it is quite easy to just line them up on the counter top and pull out the short ones and then don't buy any more old style hulls or just sell them and don't deal with them at all.

I sold all my short hulls as well as my short STS hulls as they had the same issue in the early days. Some long and some short. Life is too short to adjust the press and batch sort. HS hull with HS wad is the best combo going as far as I am concerned. I only shoot 10,000 plus rounds of 28ga a year though so I may be missing something. Jeff

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

The first AAHS 28 gauge hulls are about 3/32 shorter than newer ones. They can be challenging to reload - dense powders like Longshot work well, but if you use Universal Clays it's hard to get a full 3/4 oz. shot in there and get a good crimp. I ended up reaming out a 11/16 oz shot bushing to get as close to 3/4 oz as I could. Alliants 20/28 seems to work fine with claybuster wads and a full 3/4 oz drop.

I keep my long and short hulls separated. You don't really need calipers or anything else. Stand a bunch up on a table and pick out the shorties. Or if I manage to mix up my hulls, I'll just hold a long one in my left hand and use it to compare the hulls I'm sorting. My longer AAHS hulls all have a dark bar under the 'HS'.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

aa vs aahs short and long

difference between old hs 28 gage hull and new hs hull

difference in aahs in 28 gauge

old vs new style 28 aahs

winchester aa hs 28 gauge hull length long vs short

winchester aa hs 28 short and long hull

winchester old versus new style 28 gauge hulls