1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Different AA Shells???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldshooter, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldshooter

1oldshooter Member

Hey Guys, I came up with these old Winchester AA shells. I told a friend I needed some shells to go dove hunting. He said “don’t buy any, I’ll give you some old ones I need to get rid of.” I shot a box of them, and then I started to look at them. Very different. They have “Divided Yet One” and two head stamps , W.C.C. 86, & L.C. 85 printed on their sides. Does anyone know the story on the stamp on these hulls? Are they collectible? Whats the price? It is marked on the box “86”. I think that’s when they were made. If anyone knows, please let me know. I have 7 boxes left and they may be for sale at the right price. The boxes are in very good shape, but most all of the brass has some tarnish on them. Thanks, 1oldhunter (Jerry)

[​IMG]

ME & RED

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

I'm not sure as to the history of these shells, but the W.C.C. 86 head stamp stands for Winchester Cartridge Company 1986, while the L.C. 85 head stamp stands for Lake City 1985. I'm not sure what the significance of the "divided yet one" saying is. Garrett

3. 1oldshooter

1oldshooter Member

Can anyone tell me where Lake City is, the one talked about above. Thanks. 1oldshooter

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Your photo illustrates the so called "old style" hulls. A one piece compression formed structure that some say is safer than the so called "new style," which is of a two piece construction - an extruded plastic tube and a separate plastic base wad that serves as seal surface for the over powder part of the one piece wad.

5. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

To answer your question, Lake City stands for Lake City Ammunition Plant located down the road from me in Independence, Missouri. I researched these shells some more and found that Olin Corporation (Winchester Cartridge Company) took over the operation of Lake City in 1985. I believe that these shells commemorated this joining by having Lake City 1985 and WCC 1986. Just my speculation based on the research I've done. Hope this helps. Garrett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.