1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Differences in shotgun shells for trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by david636, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david636

david636 TS Member

I have been shooting trap with the Winchester Universal 100 Round Value Pack, that I purchase at Wal-Mart.

I’m not that good at trap yet, but I am curious as to the difference between these shells and say; Winchester AA Target Loads.

Is there ‘good’ reason to purchase the more expensive shells? I don’t do any reloading.

Thanks in advance.
    David

2. MJC1963

MJC1963 TS Member

Most gun clubs do a fair job of competing with Wal-Marts pricing, besides if you had to give the gun club a few extra bucks it will help support it. Gun Clubs are not very profitable organizations. If Wal-Mart chooses to not sell firearms then why support them?? Just about the cost to keep a gun club open, electricity, mowing, loading/unloading targets, maintenance, volunteers and etc.
    Ask around at your club someone knows where you can purchase shells at a reasonable price. But if you choose to use Walmarts value pack they will work just fine, if you become a registered shooter and are really concerned about your scores you might want to re-evaluate your shells for a more consistency in your loads. Good luck

3. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Shoot the cheaper shells. If you graduate to registered and get handicapped past the 22 yd. line,you will want to consider the premium loads. You don't need them for fun and shorter yardage. The Remington STS & nitro 27 will be great if you start reloading. Clyde Doll

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The most important thing is to shoot. What shell and gun you shoot is secondary. Shooting registered birds is the most fun and you will see many, perhaps the majority of shooters shooting discount shells at a registered shoot.

Pat Ireland

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

When you get to the point of being able to shoot better than your WW universal shells will allow you will probably have a bunch of sponsers offering you 'free' premium grade ammo.

Yes there are differencece in ammo quality/perfomance but as other have mentioned the most important thing is that you shoot alot. Lower ammo cost means more shooting for you.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The cheap Mao Mart promo loads can pattern almost as good as AA's, *IF* you have the right hardware.

You see, the problem with the cheap shells is that the pellets are soft. This causes them to deform more easily in a tight choke.

AA pellets are a harder alloy. They resist deformation better.

Less pellet deformation means a better pattern.

Now here's the thing... I found that with a backbored barrel, there is less pellet deformation because the pellets are not being squeezed as much, even though the choke is the same (ie full vs full). The cheap promo loads are patterning similar to what AAs are in my non-back bored barrel.

Of course, putting AAs through the backbored barrel makes even nicer patterns. But the issue at hand are the cheap promo loads.

So in my opinion, if you want to shoot a lot of cheap loads, but still want reasonable performance, invest in a backbored barrel. The savings in shell prices will pay it over, many times over.

7. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I was at the EZ shoot this past weekend and saw a guy using sporting clay loads. I thought they were rated at a faster speed then 1200 fps. True or false?

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You will not find any difference in target brake when shooting16 yds, doubles and short yardage handicaps.

It is when you get back to long yardage that the premium shells have a slight advantage. And only a minor advantage, at that.

I have seen top shooters stand at 27 yards and just crush birds with the promo loads.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Bernie, both the Rem STS SC and the Win AA SC bullets (in 1-1/8oz) are marked on the box 'not for ATA competitions', or words to that effect. The on-box advertised speed for both is 1300, above the 1-1/8oz allowable.

I don't think the 1oz 'SC' RemChester, are marked such, but their velocities are over the allowable 1300fps, too.

I have no idea about other brands and if they are/are not marked.

Bob

10. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

No reason what so ever. It will not help your scores at all! I do prefer shooting some shells over the other based on their recoil, feel of the recoil (kick or a push) and most importantly the smell of the power! And they have to look cool too! But it's all a matter of preference and for 16 yard trap, no shell is going to make a difference in your scores at all.
    -Trappy

11. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Personally, think the Wally World 3Dr 1-1/8oz kick the crap out of you. I find that to be a bigger issue than the pattern or ability to break targets.

If you buy Remmington Gun Clubs you can get the 2-3/4Dr 1-1/8 oz 1145fps load that does not kill you.

SW

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

No reason to use the more expensive shells.

13. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Us trap shooters out here in Kalifornia have been told that by Februray of 2011, Wally World will discontinue selling ammunition in Kalifornia due to the bill that was passed a few months ago by our genius liberal politicians.

So we will all be reloading if we want to continue shooting. I know there is currently a challenge to this bill, but as we sit today the ammo is a goner.

Shoot it if you can get it...

Kevin

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Kevin,

What Bill are you referring to? HMB

15. Bucko43

The bill was passed by the Governator quite a while ago AB962, which restricts sales of ammo.

Wally World has decided to fold instead of going along with the requirements.

See the article above.

Kevin

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'd like to know just how local governments in Commiefornia "demonstrated" this kind of crap makes people safer?

17. Bucko43

The bill restricts sales over the Internet. It must be a face to face transaction, and there must be a record of who bought what and they must show proof of ID.

No more sales to minors, etc. and Wal Mart decided it was too much BS to keep track of.

They got bit once before when they were busted for selling guns to a minor. That's why Wal Mart doesn't sell guns any more.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You just keep on using those Win. Universals. They have the best wad on the market and will break all the targets you want. Now forget about shells and get out there and keep your eye on the target. Break-em all. Jeff

19. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shoot the shell you have most confidence in.

20. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

No difference at 16yards.

23-27 yards and you are shooting for money... spend teh extra bucks and shoot Nitros.

I just LOVE when I see brand new factory Nitros being shucked on the 16.

Rich guys... or showoffs....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.