1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

????differences in k80-krieghoff and model 32

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by motordoctor, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

what is the difference in the guns. I heard the k80 has better trigger then the k32 or the krieghoff. Can the 32 be upgraded??? Is the older gun a berrer value???motordoc

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Go to Hal du Pont's web-site and there is a write up about the differences.

3. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

value is in the eye of the beholder, whats good to you may be bad to someone else. yes it can be upgraded but its not cheap.....but they work just fine without being upgraded. the 32's are great guns as-is.

4. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Motordoc:

First, let me say this: I love a K-80.

Secondly, I totally agree with kfbagt. The model 32 is a great gun and unless you have the reflexes of "Superman" at age 18, you will never notice the difference in lock time between the model 32 and the model K-80. Truthfully, the Krieghofff model 32 was steadily upgraded since its initial production around 1959. The first ones were the same as Remington 32's; the very latest ones were model K-80's with "model 32" rolled on the bottom of the receiver.

Tip told me by Hal duPont years ago: There is nothing wrong with any of them in standard weight, but suggested staying above serial number 3000. Also, stay away from light weight (alloy frame) model 32's.

If you really want to get hyper-fussy, stay above 5000(per Hal). The change at 5000 was the center hanger on the 20-28-410 was changed to a heavier, fuller adjustable version. The 12-ga. was not changed, since it was already the adjustable version.) I have 4-barrel sets above and below 5000 (all above 3000). Darned if I can tell any difference in my scores using either.

A model 32 in good condition is the best bargain in a top quality target gun in the market today. You cannot beat them for the price - unless you pay way too much of course; or, if you buy a worn out gun and have to pay to have it rebuilt by Krieghoff International.

The biggest argument touted for buying a model K-80 is the hardened receiver. Certainly, that is a good thing. However, it is largely a marketing ploy to get more sales from model 32 owners. Sort of a "suggested obsolescence".

What takes a beating in a revolver - the frame, or the cylinder? The cylinder, of course, as that is where the pressure is. What takes a beating in an over/under shotgun - the frame or the chamber? The chamber. Also, the hinge area. In the case of a Krieghoff, the hinge area consists of the trunions and the "screw slots" (trunion slots in the monoblock on each side of the barrel). There is no difference between the size, shape or strength of the trunions and trunion slots on a model 32 and a model K-80.

I've got six model 32 Krieghoffs. Some are virtually new; some have been shot so much that they have been rebuilt to new. I love them all and cannot complain about anything, including lock-time or reliability.

In summary, it is hard to beat a "Kriggy" - either model 32 or model K-80. But, the model 32 is the bargain. If you are patient, they can be bought for about 70-75% of BlueBook.

Hope you are happy with whatever you buy.

Mike Durhan

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have both a 32 and an 80. Trigger on the 32 is a little slower not by much both great guns.here are a couple pictures of my recent 32 aquisition. Bulge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

The challenge is finding a K32 in good condition...most were purchased by competitive shooters who shot them tens of thousands of times, ported them, back bored them, modified the stocks, had them "tightened" by who knows who and in various manners.

If you can actually find a lightly used K32 that hasn't been "improved" too much...better snap it up if the price is reasonable..

Bluedsteel

7. TjayE

TjayE Member

What is a reasonable price (ball park figure) for a M32 used Krieghoff in good condition? Tom

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

$1800 is good. Really nice shape 21 or 22 hundred. Bulge.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Or more for a primo!!

10. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

The K-80 os the typical German engeineering , see how parts you can put in and still make it work. but i still love the Model 32.

11. dkarges

dkarges Member

I have one of the last K-32 4 barrel sets made (ser. #102xx)that has been upgraded with K-80 trigger, wood and springs. Wonderful gun. I am trying to buy a K-80 tube set and may end up selling the K-32 but right now it is an unmarked collector's item. Buy a late model at a good price and you won't be sorry.

Don Karges

12. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I just opened a new thread with the text from the duPont web-site on the differences between the two models.

13. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE K-80 AND K-32
    by Mike Young

There isn't a day that goes by that fellow shooters don't call and ask the question: "What is the difference between the K-80 and the K-32" In this column, I will try to explain, without getting to technical, the main differences.

First, we must understand the relationship between the two models. The Krieghoff K-32 was a redesigned, improved version of the Remington M-32. It was manufactured by Krieghoff and imported into the United States by Hal du Pont. Hal established a network of dealers throughout the United States who sold the shotgun for over 20 years. In the early 1980s Krieghoff redesigned the K-32 and the K-80 was the result.

One of the first design changes and improvements made by Krieghoff was the hardness of the receiver. The K-32 was machined from a solid piece of quality German steel, but never hardened. K-80s are hardened by a "case hardening" process that leaves a thin layer of hardened material around the entire receiver.

The next design change was the outward appearance of the receiver and iron. The K-32s, with a few exceptions, had a blued finish. The K-80s standard finish is an electrolysis nickel finish.

Other changes were also made to the appearance of the K-80: engraving patterns on the receiver, trigger guard reshaped (contoured and extended rearward to a radius point), and an enlarged top lever.

Perhaps the biggest design change was the trigger. K-32 triggers were made with a very large sweep rearward and the trigger "shoe" was thin. The K-80 trigger shoe was designed with a curved radius, allowing the shooter;s trigger finger to fit comfortably on the trigger. The K-80 trigger shoe, once redesigned, permitted for trigger adjustment forward and rearward by 1/8" in each direction. Both the K-32 and K-80 have the ability to select which barrel, top or bottom, the shooter wishes to fire first. The barrel selector on the K-80 can be locked, the K-32 cannot.

Additional internal design changes were made to the K-80 from the original K-32. The K-80 hammers have gone through various changes. The very first
    K-80s had "soft" hammers, and in an effort to perfect the hammers, Krieghoff experimented with approximately four different hammer designs. They have settled on the current hammers which will accept both pull hammer as well as double release triggers in every gun manufactured, Sear springs in the K-32 and older K-80s were of a "clothes pin" wire spring that would collapse when the trigger was pulled. Many shooters were reporting broken sears springs while "on the line". In order to alleviate the broken sear spring problems, Krieghoff redesigned the sear and sear spring system around Serial Number 21500. Coil springs are now utilized instead of the sear spring system, and have been much more reliable. K-32s as well as older K-80s, serial numbers prior to 21500, can be retrofit with the new sear spring system.

Ejectors. K-32 were manufactured with the ejectors (ejects the spent shell) held in place on the barrel by a visible screw in the center of the ejector. The design of the K-80 ejector eliminated the small screw The K-80 ejector is held in place on the barrel by a ball bearing and spring underneath the ejector.

Stocks. The most distinguishing differences between the K-32 and K-80 stocks are as follows: K-32 stocks were available in varying shades of red, unlike the K-80 stocks. K-32 stocks were available in two "styles"- trap and skeet - and did not have palm swells. K-80 stocks are available in many "styles"- Monte Carlo high/low, Monte Carlo with adjustable comb, sporting clays, and skeet. For the comfort of the shooter, both left and right side palm swells were added, and "thickness" was added to the comb.

Barrels. K-32 barrels are available with two rib configurations: a low rib (skeet) and a high rib (Vandalia) (trap); both 8mm in width. K-80 barrels are available with three rib configurations (8mm, tapered flat, tapered step) and four lengths (28", 30", 32", 34"). Factory choke tubes are available in all barrels now, whereas choke tubes were not available in the K-32 barrels directly from the factory, but were installed later by Briley.

In summary, the K-80 is a newer, redesigned version of the K-32, that over the years has evolved to accommodate the needs and demands of shooters for today's competitive clay target sports.

14. TjayE

TjayE Member

Thank you DB BILL for taking the time to tell us the differences in the K80 and K32.

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

lastest for sporting K32 I'm a sucker for Krieghoffs my K80 unsingle also
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cost to upgrade krieghoff k32

k-32 unsingle

krieghoff 32 any good

krieghoff 32 lock time