1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Differences between Krieghoff and Kolar ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

From those who have had an opportunity to shoot both...

What are the distinguishing differences between the Krieghoff K-80 and its Kolar counterpart ?

Advantages or disadvantages of one over the other.

Appreciate it.

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

The Krieghoff will hold it's value much better and the Krieghoff will last a lifetime for most without needing much repair. The Kolar will need yearly parts and maybe sooner.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

My Kolar was a very neutral gun with no personality good or bad and excellent customer service if something broke which happened a couple of times on mine around the 80,000 round mark (top-single ejector broke and top spring weakened to where gun would pop open when fired in the rain). The factory releases were a little slower than my Ljutic and developed a very disconcerting occasional double click when set which messed with my head when I let it. No annual service required or recommended that I am aware of.

My K-80 was a faster gun to handle which made the O/U feel much quicker and responsive on doubles and Skeet. I never did gel with the Un-single but that was my fault not the guns. This was the most trouble prone gun I owned mostly in the trigger group and I felt I was overcharged for the repairs supposedly performed by Krieghoff. Annuals were recommended for the K-80 and turn around times were pretty good.

--- Chip King ---

4. kolarkim

kolarkim Member

yearly parts? mine was new in 1996 I have yet to change a part probably 100,000 through it, lose value maybe, but only because Kreighoff has been around longer to establish a name. I will say this, I love my Kolar but it is heavy compared to the Kreighoff. I shot the Kreighoff well for every thing but I shoot the kolar better. the trigger assy drops out in the Kolar which COULD make it easier to repair and thats what made my mind up for me. if you tinker with adjustments kolar has more to screw you up. Kolars firing pieces are quite simple compared so it probably will be easier to find people at a shoot to fix it. (although as long a Kreighoff has been around more people might be familiar with them) basiclly if you need weight Kolar if not its personal preference.

5. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

if you are planning to buy --dont rule out the italian babe(mx8) or the german mistress(f3)

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Both are great guns.

The only way to know which is right for you is to shoot them both.

I bought the Kolar because it felt better for me. I also find the personal service at Kolar phenomenal in today's world. Bill Malcolm

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Kolar = heavier and less cost
    Krieghoff = pricier, lighter and better resale. Between these and Perazzi, they seem to be the Cadillac of trap guns.

It just seems to me that the Kolars that are F/S on here just take for ever to get gone. Just ask TanakaDon (I think that is his name) He has had a Max T/A on here F/S off and on for 3 months and at $10,000 for a combo doesn't seem to be a bad price. They just don't sale as quick. Just an observation.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I agree that the weight of the Kolar is a little much on the O/U 32" barrels. I think the triggers are better in the Krieghoff, and the resale is better in both time and price. The Kolar customer service is very good, and personal. I find Krieghoff International to be pretty close, when it comes to service. Just sold my Kolar Combo 34"-32" for $6500. Which I thought was fair. Could have received more, but how long would I have to mess with it. Jon

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I now shoot a Kolar. I got tired of the expensive "annuals" with the K-80 for one thing. Very little has gone wrong with the Kolar. Service is the very best I have experioenced on ANY product.

Kolar can make your release triggers as "fast" as you like. While the Kolar is heavier, it does not feel heavy when shooting. I am over 70 and 165 lbs and do not find the weight of the Kolar with 32" barrels too much for me.

I am surprised at the lower resale of the Kolar but it is a reality. Also, you don't see Kolars "parted out" like K-80s.

Two fine guns. Personal preference.

10. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Biggest difference I seen...Kreighof is built overseas - Kolar in Wisconsin. I love my Kolar. Odie

11. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I've owned both, 3 different Kolars and 3 different Krieghofs. Both are excellent made guns. The Kolar definitely doesn't have a good resale compared to the Krieghoff. They are balanced differently but I've shot them both really well. One of the Krieghoffs I currently own has given me a lot of trigger trouble but I'm hoping that it is now fixed for good. The 3 Kolars I've owned gave me zero trouble and I always thought that they had a lot less recoil, probably because they are heavier. My suggestion is just try them both, don't rely on what anybody says on here. Make sure you try each gun on every discipline so you can find out what works best overall for you.

I'll also tell you that I've been seeing a lot of people shooting the new Blaser. I've heard a lot of good things about the gun, yet to shoot one my self, and seeing that the gun is priced well below the Kolar and Krieghoff it might not be a bad idea to look at one of them.

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Finally did an annual service on my Kolar after 5 years because I started feeling guilty. (really didn't even need it then) NEVER had any problem with Kolar mechanically or otherwise. Great gun. Best customer service on this planet hands down.

Kolar= American made

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Kolar people are great, but the loss in resale is about 40%

14. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Kolar is the same design as the old Remington. Didn't Kolar buy out Remington?

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Don't forget Blaser. German quality at a great price.

16. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Dixie,

Are you sure the Remington Model 90-T isn't the same design as the Kolar receiver?

I thought I remembered something about this a few years ago on trapshooters...

17. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

"...since 1065?"

That was one year before the Battle of Hastings.

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

By a used Kolar save a pile of money and then have a Gunfitting and custom stock made with the savings. You will still be a few thousand better than a new gun and have a better shooting gun.

Joe

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I often hear about trigger issues on the K-80. What does this entail? Clyde

20. chipking

chipking TS Member

1oldtimer I can only speak for mine. Early monogram gun bought used from Pacific Sporting Arms all factory original pull triggers. I had been shooting the gun for about 8 months when the trigger pulls started varying all over the place from light to so heavy that it felt like the safety was on. This would happen at random sometimes the first barrel sometimes the second. 2 months after the first factory repair the whole process started again with the added quirk that it sometimes would not switch barrels for the second shot. Switching the barrel selector back and fourth a few times would sometimes make the problem disappear for 10 to 15 cycles and then it would return. After that factory repair it was good for about 3 months and started acting up again. This time I sent it to Ernest Marlette in NC. He had it back to me in under 2 weeks and I never had another problem with the triggers for the remaining year I owned the gun.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

difference between kolar max ta and ts