1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Differences between a Browning XT and a 625

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PatMiles, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

What are the differences between a Browning XT and a 625 Sporting model. I am on the hunt for a gun to use for trap with a budget up to $3K and trying to do my homework first. One reason for the Browning is that I have an XS that I use for skeet now and wanted to stay with similar guns.

Thanks,

Pat

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Well and XT is built for trap, has a higher rib, monte carlo or straight trap stock, and is cheaper. The 625 is a flat rib sporting, skeet, field type gun.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Higher rib on the XT. Trap dimension stock including a trap style forend. Will tend to be a better trap gun than the 625. All else is the same!!

4. PatMiles

Thanks for the info gents

Pat

5. open choke

open choke TS Member

Get the XT. Cause I bought a used 525 due to the cost and condition.

Well I shoot trap only (currently) and I have a high comb and an add-a-rib. Now it's a trap gun.

So I agree with the rest get the XT

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Pat, Why don't you use the XS for trap??? I assume you have tried it several times, but still want a different gun for trap. There is only a small difference in the heel and comb dimentions between the two guns (aside from rib difference). This works mostly for gun fit from one shooter to the next. The higher rib is the only major difference between them. I suggest that you try a XT from someone at your club to see how you like it and compare it with your XS. Then you will know if you want to buy one. Good Luck in your search. break em all Jeff

Maybe even a single barrel BT-99? or l00 for singles and handicap with your XS for doubles only??? I find this works great for me!!! Try shooting some different guns at your club before you buy anything. Ask nicely and use factory ammo if you borrow a gun. Most shooters are happy to loan you their gun for a round or two, then they'll tell you why "they like it" after. This will allow you to find what works for you.

7. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

My trap gun is a 28" Browning XS and I do really well with it. I some times think about buying a new trap gun to fit in with some of the guys I shoot with but I have had guys tell me if I have the XS working for me why go buy a new gun.

8. PatMiles

P&M,
    I have thought of using my XS. At first I was concerned about recoil as I shoot sub gauges in skeet which are much more comfortable. I recently put a PFS on the gun for a better fit so the 12 gauge worries are over. I'll have to put the gun on a pattern board to see how high I'll have to lift the cheek piece to get a 90-10 pattern. I'm not to keen on readjusting it a couple of times a week. Somewhat of a feeble excuse to buy another gun but hey, he who dies with the most guns... dies.

Pat

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Pat, Just so you know, what your talking about will not work for me. If you shoot skeet and sporting clays and are used to flat shooting gun at both of these games I think you are asking for touble trying to shoot a 90% gun at only trap. Then mix the two every week to boot!!! Unless you want to give up skeet and sporting you are going to have to get used to a 60/40 (flat) gun. Your sight picture will be totally different with a high POI. My BT-l00 is not much different than my 525, but the high rib is kind of nice in trap. This also allows me the same sight picture at a 10 yard shot as a 80 yard shoot. No difference in sight picture at all. You can't do that with a high POI gun. I say if its not broke don't try to fix it. Also I like 7/8 oz.or a one oz. load in 12 ga. anyway. So if your loading the sub-gauges maybe you can load your own on the 12 ga. as well. Even with the PFS a one oz. load is sweet. Good Luck with your shooting and break em all Jeff

By all means try your XS sporting for trap. Give it a chance, I think you'll get used to it real quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference browning 525 and ultra xs

xt vs 625 trap