1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference in Winchester Shells ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tjwatc, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjwatc

tjwatc TS Member

I was wondering if anyone culd helpme understand something. I was at Wal-Mart today .. (looking for those close-out shells) and ran across a different Winchester Shell and package. What is the difference in Winchester AA and Winchester Universal. They were both 12ga, 2 3/4inch, 3 dram, 1 1/8 #8. The AA were $7.97 and the others were sold in a package of 4 boxes (100 shells) for 21.97. I stood there and checked and checked a could not find a difference. The one difference I did see was that the universal shells had a steel or silver color base and the AA were gold colored.

If anyone could me understand or tell me the difference that would be great.

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

If you want to reload them buy the AA's, if not just buy the universal's for general shooting. There is a major difference in the quality of the hull, wad and the shot is harder in the AA's. Most of the recreational-occasional shooters would never notice the difference or how the target breaks. I do reload the universal's -- but only one time for me. The base is brass on the AA's and steel on the Universal's (steel is sometimes troublesome in a few guns--although I shoot them in BT-99's, XT's, 870, 1100, 11-87 without trouble.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

TJ, no problem. First off Win. AA's hulls are made of brass. Which is the best metal to make a shotgun hull from. Second Win.AA's are a premium shell made with the very best and cleanest powder and the best (antimony) shot made. They also make the most widely copied wad in the business. The Win. universal shell in a economy made load. They use a metal to make hulls and use a bit dirtier powder, and use shot made with 3 percent antimony.The premium AA's use about 6 percent antimony. Antimony makes the shoot pellets harder and is concidered a magmum lead. Chilled shot is the softest and is pure lead. Most of the economy loads today use 3 percent antimony lead with a dirtier burning powder. So bottom line is that both will work fine in your gun, unless perhaps you are using a auto. Just clean your shotgun as you should after your done shooting for the day and you will be OK. Good Luck and hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

4. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

If AA hulls are brass why does a magnet pick them up?

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=100_0599.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Left side is AA 1200 fps, base and plastic are as stated different. Right is Uni shell. As far as the shot so far all the wins I have broken open have uniform size and roundness. Hardness is something I can not measure with any certainty. The wads look the same, allthough the uni has a more yellow tint. The powder? It looks very simular between the shells, BUT every AA I have ever broken open is a solid plug as seen on left. Uni's yet to see this. Im thinking there must be a slight difference in chemical make up? I for one for just do not shoot well with the Uni line. I also have not even attempted to pattern them. I asked one shooter who crony's his loads if he ever ran the uni's through. He told me the ones he shot where 1250 to 1280 fps at 80 degrees through his 1100. ten shots averaged 1268fps. As noted in his little load book. NOW I have opened up many gun clubs to find many different wads. off size shot, mixed non graphite and graphite shot. Also shot that looks like it was swepted up off the floor? For @ 55 a flat they mske good for fn shooting, I buy the 20g for the 20g shoots we have.

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

GARMASTERS:

A short answer to your question: Magnets are attracted to the steel content of the primer. It is not attracted to brass head. For confirmation, try this:

1. Knock the primer out of a AA hull.

2. Apply a magnet to the brass base and see what happens.

3. Then apply the magnet to the primer only and see what happens.

"Junk" hulls including but not limited to Remington Gun Clubs, Estates, Rio, Kemen, Diana, Federal Top Gun - as well as all variations of the el cheapo Federal hull - and Winchester Universals, all have steel heads. Unlike premium hulls with real brass heads (Federal Gold Medals, Remington STS/Nitro, and Winchester AA) a magnet is attracted to the 'junk' hulls even if their primers have been knocked out.

sissy

7. TC

TC TS Member

There was a recent post on another thread regarding increased wear in chambers and loaders using the steel based hulls.

The yellow color of the wads is the result of reclaim or "regrind" used when molding the wads. The addition of regrind, which is ground up runners and defective parts affects the quality of the molded component. The white AA hulls are molded from virgin plastic. The orange wads have regrind plus the addition of a coloring agent to differentiate them. The yellow wads as found in the Universals have a greater amount of regrind without the coloring additive. The greater the amount of regrind the greater effect on the quality of the component.

8. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

RecoilSissy - You're so right. Thanks for the clarification.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Winchester cheapies are junk I can't reload them for some reason. The Gun club, Estate and Federal cheapies all reload just fine as long as I use the right stuff. I don't know about chamber wear, only a couple years on cheap stuff.

HM

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Unless someone can come on here with an empirical analysis, I say that the antimony content is the same.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Was at the club today. A shooter that loads As has been having problems with kinks at about the secondary base wad area. Claims he has changed nothing, just using hulls from a recent flat purchase. OK so I came home, dissected the hulls I cur up some more. I tried taking pics but the just did not pick up the details. So what I found is the AA hulls which where bought last weekend have a pale red base wad, also has what appears to be a adhesive between the wad and hull. The Uni's have a white base wad and no visible adhesive.

12. TC

TC TS Member

The kinks at the rim of the base wad on new style AA's are caused primarily by the final crimp setting. The die needs to be set as high as possible, then lower the crimp plunger just enough to get good closure. You can over do it. Be sure you are getting plenty of pre crimp also. You should not have a hole any bigger than a #9 shot if your pre crimp is adequate. If it isn't caused by the final crimp it is likely caused by the taper die adjustment. Tony

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Problem- Bulge, in the form of a circular band near base of new AA hulls.

Cause- Crimp is too deep pushing down on the hull.

Solution- Raise the crimp to put less pressure on the hull. Crimp starter must also be raised to get a good crimp.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference betweeen winchester aa shell and trap load

difference between winchester and remington hulls

high antimony shotgun shells
what is the antimony of winchester aa lead shot
what is the difference between regular shells and trap shells
what percentage of antimony does winchester aa shotgun shells have

winchester aa vs rio

winchester universal vs aa pattern percentage