1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

difference in shot brand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpsr6, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

I was wondering if there is any difference in the brands of shot. All bieng the same # 8 I just loaded my first 10 bags of Lawrence, and now I will be getting Eagle, just wondering if there is any difference I will be able to notice besides price. I'm sure some have preferance if you do why.

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Look at it. Measure it. Squeeze it with a pair of pliers. Then compare to Lawrence Magnum or West Coast or STS.

The answer will be found.

Don Verna

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

As with most things: Difference = Pricing

Curt

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

In the samples I have tested, Eagle ranks at the bottom. I found irregular sizes and shapes in the lots I looked at. I don't anticipate purchasing Eagle shot again. I am sure that different lots will vary in quality and I might have just gotten some shot that is not representative.

Pat Ireland

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

All shot is not the same. The rounder and harder the shot, the better it should work at longer yardages. Some shot is not quite the right size and some is actually pretty soft. Most of the premium shot is usually more consistent and seems to pattern better at longer yardages. The difference between "Chilled" and "Magnum" shot isn't quite that obvious anymore. I have found West Coast, Lawrence Magnum, and Rem STS to be some of the better ones. Eagle and Star are near the other end. I have had a few batches of Eagle that was a little better, but you never know what you have until you open the bag. If the difference is a dollar, I'll go the extra cost to get the premium stuff. It may never make a difference in my scores, but at least it's one less variable out of the way. Take a look for yourself using some magnification, measure some, and do whatever informal "squish test" you can figure out. Measure some drops and count pellets. The less dense shot is probably harder than the heavier shot, due to the amount of Antimony in the mix. I have a pair of parallel jaw pliers and a scale that seems to give me a repeatable comparison for hardness. All that said, It seems like it makes a little less difference for Skeet or 16s. I'd worry more for the Handicaps.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I get more fliers on the pattern board with Eagle magnum than I do with Lawrance magnum or West Coast mag, using the same components except the shot.
    Eagle is made in Peru. I would never buy Eagle chilled. Wayne

7. royboy

royboy Member

+++++++++7 1/2's or 8's++++++++++++++++++++

8. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

Answers are very interesting , in this case I ordered 8's the Eagle was a $1 less, negledgable but it sounds like the difference is well worth the $1 for the top brands if I am going to shoot these at shoots. This order will put me through the winter for practice but understanding some opinions will put me in the "better" brands the next time.

thanks
    Vic

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Two years I did a Neil Winston type test on home made shot vs Rem. Mag. shot. Counted pellets and everything. This home made shot looks pretty good at a casual glance. At a close look it certainly isn't round. It is almost as hard as the Rem. At 40yds the Rem shot put 2.5% more pellets in a 30 in circle. That isn't much. So I suspect roundness doesn't matter too much.

Unless one is a pretty competitive shooter he probably wouldn't notice the difference in hardness either.

10. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

And 9's when I shoot skeet.

Why?

You weren't paying attention in science class were you. Look at the ballistic performance of 9's vs. 7 1/2's and tell me you you feel confident that 9's break more skeet targets than 7 1/2's.

11. oletymer

oletymer Member

At the distance skeet targets are shot the 9s are a better load than 7 1/2s. I think you are the one that did not pay attention.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

likes-to-shoot

Home made shot is all over the place, quality wise. I've had some that was actually fairly round and sized properly, with hardness that was about equal to the good stuff. I've also had home made that was anything BUT round and was soft enough to score with a fingernail. It was also lubed with some sort of machine oil instead of graphite. It still worked OK for the short range stuff. It depends on who makes it, what they make it from, and how good their process and equipment is. Patterns with the good home made were almost close to those of the premium shot. Patterns with the poorly made home made stuff was as expected. Pretty poor, but still good enough for 16 yards or Skeet for practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.