1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference in Model 12 marked or not marked: Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Could the Forum please explain the difference between Winchester Model 12's that are or are not marked: Trap.

Also, how do the Y trap guns compare to the pre-64's.

Thank you

Lou

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

There is no difference in pre-64 Model 12's. They just stopped marking them trap.
    The "Y" series used an investmant cast receiver and many of the small parts
    were also cast. The receiver and all parts in the pre-64 were machined.

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

There are some variations in the pre 64 traps w/ respect to the Vent ribs. The most desirable is the 2pin aka milled rib. Next in desirability would be the 3pin rib. Least desirable would be the Win Special VR aka the donut post rib.

4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Would a rib be put on as an aftermarket accessory?

How would I tell.

Does it matter (I would think it would matter, especially if I want to get the barrel reblued)

How do I tell if a rib is a milled rib.

Thank you

5. Mapper

Mapper Member

Many ribs have been put on model 12s aftermarket. Many different companies did it. They were glued, soldered and brazed. Most of the 2 pin guns had the top of the receivers also milled. As Skybuster said, internally, trap guns were about all the same, till the Y models. They have a Y in front of the serial number.
    The entire subject is too involved to cover here.

6. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Mapper: "The entire subject is too involved to cover here. "

Why? I have seen threads go on for hundreds of posts here.

I too have wondered how the investment cast receivers and MIM parts make the Y series inferior to the pre 64 models.

It seems to me that if the material is the same, investment cast receivers would be as strong as machined receivers.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

How to tell a milled rib? On milled rib guns there will be a a longer post just above the barrel band , that is the band that holds the mag tube to the barrel. The longer post will have 2 pins through the post to hold the rib on. There is no way to fake one. Available from 1919 to 1960. You can still obtain a proofmark stamp so beware. Sorry to disagree but the Milled rib is most desireable followed by the round post then doughnut and finally the three pin because of rarity. Jeff

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The purists believe that pre '64 Mod 12s are more desireable...well mabe to collectors!

A Y model is just as strong, lasts as long and shoots the same as a pre 64! I have a few Ys and many pre 64s...when shooting, I can't see or feel any difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are all model12 trap guns marked trap

win mod12 marked standard trap

winchester mod 12 markings

winchester mod 12 trap markings

winchester model 12 barrel marking variations
winchester model 12 marked trap
winchester model 12 trap not marked