1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference in length of barrels.......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Please shine some light on what the difference is in the length of barrels? Also, what is a good general shooters magazine to subscribe to - I like to read. Jill

2. powderburn

powderburn Member

Jill,
    Generally, the longer the barrel, the slower the gun swings. 34" barrels are great for long handicap ydg's, but can be a hinder up at 16. 32" are my personal favorite. They swing faster, and are better for all yardages. 30's and 28's, (esp. 28's) are getting to be too short, and can be "whippy". I'd go with a 32"-best for all around the field.
    -powderburn

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The real test for which barrel length is right for you is determined by testing like guns with different length barrels. It's near impossible for anyone to advise you differently......Bob Dodd

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For trap, 30, 32 & 34" are the most used. The longer the barrel the heavier the gun. Heavier guns have a tendency to slow down and smooth out your swing to the target. Shorter barreled guns can be whippy. Most over/unders have either 30 or 32" barrels.

Single barrel guns like the BT you shot are in the 32" or 34" catagory. Best advice is to try as many guns as you can in as many different configureations as available and choose the type that works best for you. As to magazines, Shotgun Sports is a good place to gain a cross section of knowledge. There's a hot link on this page from them for a free trial issue.

Eric

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bob makes sense -- it's best to experiment and find what works best for you. Few women are strong enough or have the stamina to use a heavy trap gun 34" barrel without getting fatigued (many men have the same problem but take a decade or so to admit it).

Gun fit is crucial, but skill and confidence tops all in the clay target sports. I used to marvel at my uncle's ability to outshoot people with his beat-up 28" M12 and then trade guns and outshoot them again with their own shotguns. As a teenager, I thought I was clever in challenging him with my .410 Wingmaster, figuring that I'd destroy him after the trade and he had to shoot my unfamiliar "toy." You know what happened.

-Gary

6. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Barrel length with the Citoris and BT99s you tried will vary from 30" to 34". You want a length that is comfortable for you to hold and swing. Arm strength, stature, and shooting style will play a role. For trap, you should stay in the 28"-35" range. Pick your own length like you pick your own gun - it's a personal choice and no one can tell you what barrel length or gun is best for you. There's no "correct" answer. However, a general principle is longer will be better than shorter. As you try other peoples' guns, talk with them about the barrel length, what you like and don't like about it, and ask their advice. Talk to them about correct buttstock length, too, as a stock that's too long for you will fool you into thinking the gun's too heavy and too long for you. You'll start accumulating your own knowledge base. My wife's 30" BT99 is perfect for her, I prefer 34" in a BT99 and 30" in a Citori and Beretta 682, also in a Remington 1100. The American Rifleman magazine that comes with a NRA membership is, in my opinion, the best general gun magazine. Shooting Times is also very good, and Guns and Ammo is good, plus under $10/year by subscription. Phil E

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Longer barrels/heavier guns do require a little more effort to begin swinging, but they are a little more difficult to stop moving before you get to the target. Most single barrel trap guns have 32-34 inch barrels and O/U trap guns are between 30-32 inches.

Pat Ireland

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

It's also a given that a 30" o/u will be heavier than a 34" single barrel, everything else being equal. From what I've read regarding single barrel guns, you add 2oz of weight for every inch of barrel length you add. So you'll add 8oz going from a 30" to a 34".

Eric

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just wondering, wouldn't the ultimate combo set consist of the following:
    1) 30" single barrel for the 16 yd line
    2) 32" single barrel for caps to the 24 yd line
    3)33-34" single barrel for caps to the 27 yd line
    4) 30" or 32" o/u for doubles

Phil Berkowitz

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

If longer is better, why not 36"?

Barrel length is just more unimportant nonsense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.