1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference in chokes?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Loyac, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

Why would an ext. Wrights IM pattern tighter than an ext. Briley IM from the same optima 32" barrel using the same Fiocchi 1 oz 1200 load? John

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Just because...

I have a 6 piece set of IM-size chokes for a Browning Invector Plus that were machined for me out of stainless steel on some of the most accurate CNC machinery available. You can't measure any differences between them yet no two pattern the same and each one is repeatable. Have no idea why, just know that's what happens.

Mike

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Briley I'M should have a constriction of .025".

Wright's Chokes follow the Perazzi metric system; I'M is #6 = .024"

Fiocchi is Italian, Perazzi is Italian. Sorry that is the best I can come up with. 8)

Like Mac V posted things like that happen.

Jason :)

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

There's generally more to chokes than just the constriction. parallel section, taper to parallel, polish, etc. That's why theres not just one choke manufacturer. Why doesn't all toilet paper feel the same? Well, let's not go there!!...

Jim

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

John, how did you determine that one patterns tighter than the other?

Neil

6. Loyac

Loyac Member

I tested them on paper targets. Even though the outside diameter was pretty much the same, the wrights target had many more pellets centralised... much denser in the middle. I also noticed it shooting from the 21 yard line. When dead on, the targets would evaporate. John

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Comparing the "names" (IM, Full, X-full, etc,) I've found is quite meaningless. For example;

"IM"----Browning Invector Plus, (.020")

"IM"----Beretta Optima, (.030")

"IM"----Briley, (.025")

Ruger doesn't have one they call "IM"

"Full"---Browning Invector Plus, (.030")

"Full"---Beretta Optima, (.040")

"Full"---Briley, (.035")

"Full"---Ruger, (.025")

John C. Saubak

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've found to mic them and know what constriction you are after is most important. If you were to buy an improved modified from Browning, Briley, Hastings and Tru-loc and so on, no two would be the same. They would overlap from modified to light full or full.

I'll assume you are a good shooter(I'm not, I'm just o.k.). A day at the trap field shooting 16yd. targets. I'll assume you shoot a BT-99 with Briley IM extended ss clay tube. In between rounds I slip in the modified version of the same Briley tube, I bet you shoot the same and won't notice any difference. You could smoke the targets the same with both tubes.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I once shot a "smokin" 23 in skeet with a modified and full thinking I had skeet tubes in. when I tried it knowingly it didn't even come close to that score

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.