1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference in 1100 and 1187?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tydaws, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tydaws

Tydaws Member

What is the difference in Rem 1100 and 11-87?

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

11-87 has gas pressure compensating system. stainless steel magazine tube, and a different magazine spring retainer. JM

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Here is Remington's answer from their FAQ section of their website:

What is the difference between the Model 1100 and Model 1187?
    In 1987, the new gas compensated 1187 was introduced. The 1100 and the 1187 are similar in design. Barrels are not interchangeable between these models.

The gas cylinders are welded in slightly different locations. This is partly because the 11-87 has a longer magazine tube. The 11-87 also has 2 gas orifice holes. Only the 2-3/4 inch chambered version of the 1100 will have two. The magnum 1100 barrel has only one.

The 1100 can shoot only 2 3/4" or 3" shells depending on the barrel installed, and with the 1187 models with magnum barrels can shoot both 2 3/4" and 3" shells interchangeably. To accomplish this, two additional holes are drilled in the top/front of the gas cylinder, and covered with a tempered steel spring. There is a relief cut made into the gas cylinder to accommodate the spring. The Model 1100 gas cylinder will not have the relief cut or the spring.

The Model 11-87 also has a slightly longer barrel extension. This is the part that connects directly into the receiver.

4. Tydaws

Tydaws Member

Sounds like a mere gas system improvement.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The extractor is wider too, although the 1100 Classic Trap has the wide extractor also.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The early 11/87 Premier Trap models (like mine) have over bored .745 diameter step rib barrels and special choke tubes (full, extra full and super full).

Compared to my 1100 TB (circa 1980), which also has a 30" full choke step rib barrel, the 11/87 has a slightly heavier barrel and has a different swing.

The 11/87 trap is limited to 1 1/4 oz 1220 fps loads whereas the 1100 can handle 1 1/4 oz 1330 fps and probably heavier loads.

Using 1150 fps 1 oz loads, the 11/87 has very, very little recoil sensation.

Ed Ward

7. Tydaws

Tydaws Member

I shoot and love trap quiet a lot and am pretty well set as far as the trap arsenal is concerned. Some of my buddies shoot sporting clays and have got me interested. I am looking for a sporting clays/skeet gun, and I like the autos because I don't want to spend much on a gun at this point. I was considering buying a left hand 1100 and putting one of the Jack West stocks on it. I have found a couple of 11-87s on gunbroker that look to be in a little better shape than the 1100 LHs available and have the options that I am looking for, especially 28" remchoke barrels. So that is why I was asking about the differences. Thank you guys for your input. Ty

8. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

--------
    hope this helps
    Sorry could nor resist Larry lockhart

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

1187 has two different barrels. There is a field barrel that shoots both 3" and 2 3/4" ammo. There is also a target barrel that on shoots 2 3/4" ammo only. The target barrel is generally more reliable with typical target ammo.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For shotgun sports it really makes little difference whether you get an 1100 or 1187. That's because the target barrels (skeet, trap and sporting clays) on the 1187 do not have a gas compensating system. You might say they're de-evolved back into 1100s.

The real difference is going to be in the type of trap barrel on the guns you're looking at. The 1100 originally had a fixed choke barrel. As far as I know, all of the 1187s have screw in chokes. The 1187 had a factory backbored barrel, and some of the 1100s did too. The 1187 barrels had a stepped rib, and some of the 1100s did also.

The earlier 1100s and 1187s have almost glass smooth actions. The later ones are a bit rougher, but that does not affect their function. The blueing wore better on the earlier guns too. It's a bit thin and wears through easier on the later guns.

All 1187 trap guns have cut checkering on their stocks, and their stocks are usually reasonably decent wood. The 1100 usually had press checkering and the wood was more plain, but the late model 1100 Classic has cut checkering and decent wood.

Both guns have been made in a left hand version, but the 1100 LH is more common.

Opinions vary. I believe the 1187 is softer shooting. There are a lot of people who disagree with that. One thing is for sure and for certain... the softest shooting combination is an 1100 Magnum model with a trap barrel. This is because it has a heavier action sleeve, which dampens the recoil impulse better.

I would base my choice on left or right hand action, what barrel you prefer, and condition. To heck whether it is an 1100 or 1187.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

BIO. I have a plain Jane older 1100 trap with a straight stock with no figure. It is a good shooter and cycles as good as any on doubles. Very little wear in the receiver. Not shot much. Average handling wear. Full choke, 30" Is it worth more than $500?

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    1100s generally range from $450 to $650. Can't get more specific than that without pics or seeing the gun, and even then the price is often subject to local demand.

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would chose a 1187 with a target barrel 28 inch with Rem chokes the bigger bore is softer shooting deforms the shot less which improves patterns generally but not always. I would also like to correct an other post they did make 1187 big bore barrels with fixed chokes for a short while. I shoot this gun a 1187 for sporting myself for the same reason as you I did not want to put a lot of money in a new gun for some thing I do occasionally. The target barrels have a step rib and the bores need to be measured to get the correct choke tube restriction.
    Buddy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.