1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between trap gun and skeet gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

Assuming the gun doesn't have a high rib, what's the difference between a trap gun and a skeet gun (except for the chokes)? I've seen some guns with monte carlo stocks sold as skeet guns. Looks and feels just like a trap gun to me.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I bought a trap gun with a Monte Carlo stock and use it for skeet and sporting clays. All I did to it was have Greg Hissem put and adjustable comb on it, and take a little meat out of the wood so it would shoot a little lower (flatter.)

Generally, I'd wager there's little or no real difference, except, I believe, most skeet shooters will set up their skeet guns to shoot flatter than a trap gun.

Also, skeet guns will generally have slightly shorter barrels than trap guns.

Mor swinging (no pun intended) in skeet than trap.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They have morphed into almost the same thing. Lots of skeet guys using longer guns, I had a 30 inch GTI that shot trap doubles and skeet doubles equally well with a choke change.

That said, before screw chokes, etc, skeet guns were shorter and had the open choke. 26 inch 2 pipers were common. Now you hardly see them any more.

If I could only have one gun for all games I would go find my old GTI. Damn whiner Todd pried it away from me and won't give it back. (But it was the only way he would get off that stupid pump he was shooting.)

HM

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

As noted above the barrel lengths are increasing for skeet. One other main difference is in the stock dimensions. Skeet, sporting and field stocks drop away from the rib as you move to the rear of the stock. Trap stocks are parallel to the rib and stay that way along the length of the comb. Bill Malcolm

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bill,

Most, if not all, of the registered skeet shooers I know use guns with Monte Carlo parallel stocks.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hello:
    years ago, skeet gun had a shorter straight stock, field grade dimensions or slightly higher, more down pitch than a trap gun. most had no step up rib, just straight down the barrel. fix choke was anywhere from zero to 8 thousants constriction. barrels ranged from 26 inches to 28. trap guns years ago, most had a higher longer straight stock or monte carlo. less down pitch, tighter choke, 28 to 34 inch barrels.
    steve balistreri

7. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I agree Tim, more skeet shooters are using a parallel stock. However, if you look at "skeet" stock dimensions on any web site (that I have seen) they don't show a parallel comb. My Brother's 2 year old Kolar had a "skeet" stock with an adjustable comb, which he has adjusted so the comb is parallel to the rib. He has since installed a PFS. Bill Malcolm

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Fred is right. HMB

9. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Basically, and I think no one will argue, the difference today is that a modern skeet gun shoots flat and a trap gun shoots high.
    Beyond that, it's all in personal preference and what the manufacturers want to sell you.

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Questor....Pay attention, as I'm only gonna say this ONCE! Skeet guns are used by people who wear panty hose....Trap guns are used by MEN! Except for Gordy, of course! Does that explain the difference?

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

One flat and one high sure. But modern trap guns are a breed apart. Look at em' for cryin out loud. Big heavy things with high ribs (often adjustable that look like bridgework) big heavy stocks with dramatic Monte Carlo and twisted butts etc. Made for lots of shots and no radical swings. Watch great trapshooters shoot. The gun barely moves.

Skeet guns are made for radical side to side swings. More like a classic shotgun. Even though modern skeet guns often have 32" barrels they shoot crossing shots.
    Now doubles trap guns are a different story. They are often comparable to skeet guns.

Jake

12. finger

finger TS Member

Guys Guys the difference is in the choking and point of impact. How you get to those differences makes for the confusion. And to me a skeet gun needs to be able to shoot 20-28-410 to be called such. How do you compete without them?

I built up a Krieghoff last year (that would be 2007) using both k80 and 32 barrels. It is a three barrel gun. 30 inch semi-light with tubes for skeet and a 32 inch top single and 32 inch o/u for trap doubles. I adjust point of impact by moving the comb. In skeet you want a gun that shoots flat at 15 yards. Few trap shooters want a flat shooter. Moving the comb up allows for poi adjustment.

So is this a skeet gun or a trap gun or maybe a sporting gun or maybe a bunker or live bird gun? The answer is yes to all depending on how the comb is set and what barrel goes on it.

With todays choke tubes and adjustable stock hardware it is whatever you want it to be. Happy new year to all bob finger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference between skeet and trap

difference between trap and skeet

difference between trap and skeet shotgun
difference between trap and skeet shotguns
skeet guns do they shoot flat or high like a trap gun
trap and skeet difference

trap gun or skeet gun

what is the difference between skeet and trap