1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

difference between sporting and trap shotguns?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by slayer, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me the essential difference between sporting and trap shotguns? I am interested in the Benelli Super Sport or Sport 2, because of the good reviews and such. Can a sporting clays gun be converted for trap use or would it be usable as is?
    thanks
    Bill in Michigan

2. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

A guy at club shoots one very well and I think you can interchange combs to get poi up for trap. jim weiner

3. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Cost to buy.....lol

The stocks are different- the SC gun will have nore drop at the comb. I always felt that a SC gun was somewhere between a skeet and trap gun. I say this because of the varying shots that a SC shotter encounters-- target presentation can simulate hunting, skeet, and trap targets-- all in a single round so the gun has to meet all those requirements/situations.

For the past few years I have used the same SC gun for skeet, SC, 5 stand, and hunting dove & quail. It has a fixed comb (that luckily fits me perfectly). I do not change my "target" aimpoint at all......I see it and shoot.

I have tried it in trap (singles only) in practice and it did fine, but I had to pay more attention to POI than normal while shooting.

That being said, I prefer a trap gun for trap as I shoot a 100-110% POI and that is near impossible on a SC gun.

JMHO

Jim C

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me the essential difference between sporting and trap shotguns? I am interested in the Benelli Super Sport or Sport 2, because of the good reviews and such. Can a sporting clays gun be converted for trap use or would it be usable as is?
    thanks
    Bill in Michigan

5. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

A guy at club shoots one very well and I think you can interchange combs to get poi up for trap. jim weiner

6. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Cost to buy.....lol

The stocks are different- the SC gun will have nore drop at the comb. I always felt that a SC gun was somewhere between a skeet and trap gun. I say this because of the varying shots that a SC shotter encounters-- target presentation can simulate hunting, skeet, and trap targets-- all in a single round so the gun has to meet all those requirements/situations.

For the past few years I have used the same SC gun for skeet, SC, 5 stand, and hunting dove & quail. It has a fixed comb (that luckily fits me perfectly). I do not change my "target" aimpoint at all......I see it and shoot.

I have tried it in trap (singles only) in practice and it did fine, but I had to pay more attention to POI than normal while shooting.

That being said, I prefer a trap gun for trap as I shoot a 100-110% POI and that is near impossible on a SC gun.

JMHO

Jim C

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Jim
    pLease have patience w/me as I am a bit of a novice. Could you explain the "percentage"reference when describing poi?
    tnx Bill

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bill,

POI in relationship to the %'s that are stated on this site can be best described as a 30" circle with an X in the middle of it. If you sight directly on the X and your 30" pattern is contained within the circle then you have a 50/50 POI. When someone states that they prefer 100% POI, then that means that the 30" circle is above the X. The bottom of the circle will just be touching the X. This is also referred to as a full pattern high.

I generally shoot a 70/30-80/20 POI gun for trap and a 50/50-60/40 for skeet and sporting. The reason for the higher POI on a trap gun is to account for the rising target.

ec90t

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

So..essentially the only real difference in a sc and trap gun is p.o.i?

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

You got it. How the different POI is obtained is where it gets interesting. The stock shape and rib profile are usually a lot different.

The other is the dynamics of the gun. A skeet/sporting gun will generally be a little quicker to swing than a trap gun. The trap guns generally have longer barrels, but this is quickly changing. I'm starting to see a lot of 30" and 32" barreled O/U's on the skeet and sporting fields.

ec90t

11. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

As Jim pointed out the stock is different as well. The big difference is the comb. On a trap gun the comb is parallel to the rib, whereas on a SC or SK gun the comb will be at an angle to the rib (sloping down as you get further from the receiver).

If you raise the comb in relation to the rib, the POI goes higher. As you raise the comb you will also see more rib. In many cases, newer trap guns will have a built in higher POI. So, as an example a factory trap gun will shoot a 70/30 POI vs. a factory skeet gun will shoot a 50/50 pattern. Bill Malcolm

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No. Trap guns have a comb that is parallel to the rib height wise. Trap guns have a higher POI because you are shooting at a rising target. HMB

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You definitely want to re-consider your choice of the Benelli shotgun for either trap or sporting clays. While it is a well made shotgun, it has four distinct disadvantages for target shooting. (1) it is too light (2) it recoils too hard. It is a recoil system, and doesn't have the gas relief of the Beretta and Remington that lessens felt recoil (3) it is overly expensive. The bare bones gun is over $ 1,700 (4) there aren't a lot of mods available to adapt it for target shooting.

Do some more research and you will find that of the shooters who shoot automatics, nearly everyone shoots A Beretta 391. The National Sporting Clays championship was won with a Beretta 391 as were many of the other events. Of the 1400 shooters, there were a few Benellis, but only a few.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I'm in total agreement with dickgtax, the Benelli is an EXCELLENT field gun, but a very poor choice for clays. If I may expound a bit: 5) They have CRAPPY triggers, about the worst of any auto I've ever shot and not a lot of people know much about customizing these guns.

You just don't see Benelli's much in any of the clay games and that's no accident.

JMHO

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

thanks so much for the valuable info. I have been using a Browning xt for trap, but wanted to go with an auto so I can use it for more than just trap [hunting, sporting clays etc.]I used to use a Browning gold but it is just used for pheasants now. Couldn't get out of the high teens-low twenties with it. I still am clinging to the myth that i can find a gun that is good for everything. Does anyone have any suggestions on that topic?

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bob,

Check your PM's.

ec90t

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

One gun that's good for everything? Well, for all around use, Jack of all shooting trades but master of none, I would suggest a Beretta 391. It's also the most popular gun on the Sporting Clays fields, where reliability is vital.

I use my 391 Trap gun for everything except Skeet and do OK with it. It will shoot 7/8oz loads up to stiff 3" mags without missing a beat (I have 4 391's and they are all great shooters).

18. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Many start out as you want to ... shoot one gun for everything and there is merit in that. Good luck on your quest. I agree with the posters above, the 391 Beretta is a good place to start. Bill Malcolm

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A Remington 1100, with a trap stock with an adjustable comb. A good trigger and a 28 inch VR barrel with screw in chokes will let you shoot sheet, trap and sporting clays with one gun. HMB

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Down side to benelli, less after marget gizmos. I would if to purchase a benelli I would get the wood stock and have adjustable comb installed, and a adj recoild pad.......all said for the price of a benelli SS I would buy 2 1100s and trick one out for trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
difference between a sportiny and hunting shotgun
difference between a trap and field gun
difference between a trap and field shotguns
difference between sporting and trap shotguns

difference between trap and skeet shotguns

difference between trap and sporter shotguns
differences between target & sporting shotguns
sporting and trap shotguns difference