1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between shotguns...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MDMike, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

OK, I pick up my Browning XT O/U, can't hit a aircraft carrier with it. Figure it is shooting low as we locked the trap down for straight away birds from station 3 and had to cover the bird and lead through it. Sent the gun out for an adjustable comb and fully adjustable Gracoil. Get the gun back and still can't hit with it (16-17's). Pick up my TM1 and run 25 straight. We haven't tried the straight away test with it since it has been modified but can something be done? It's a pretty gun and I hate to get rid of it but it has got me stumped? Would a visit to a stockfitter be in order? Thanks, Mike.....

2. oz

oz Active Member

do they both have a middle bead? make sure they are lined up (or fig 8)

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

So what did the pattern board shots show?

4. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I don't have a good answer for you. I have a BT-100 that I really like, but can't shoot worth a darn! I am OK with my XT, but I bought an old 1976 Citori on this site that has nothing adjustable, and started running 25s with it! Go figure! Martinpicker

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Pattern board is one of my next steps. I just went and checked length of pull. The Perazzi is a good 3/8" to 1/2" shorter. I think the next step is drop at comb and drop at heal measurements. This thing may be fixable yet.

6. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Mac1, I've been thinking along those lines as well. What kind of choke did your friend try. I only want to change one thing at a time to try to see what is going on. Thanks to all, Mike......

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Take both guns to the pattern board and see where they are shooting. Get the Brownings POI the same as the Perazzi. I would also think it best to have the LOP on both guns be the same. The pattern board should always be your first stop with a new gun, chokes or really even any changes or adjustments.

8. camowilly

camowilly TS Member

Pattern board first,fire gun from rest with beads figure 8,5-10 shots to see true avg. impact on 1 piece of paper.Change choke to see if choke is bad.Test fire both Barrels to see POI. of each!If POI is too far apart call Browning and ask them what is their current SPECS. on POI ? I sold guns for 25 yrs. and I have sent back a few because of POI issues.When choke tubes first came out POI was a bigger problem than some people realized !I hope I was of some help to you. Thanks, Wayne

9. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

After the good advice on patterning, you may find that the swing feel is so
    much different from a TM1 to an XT, that you need 2 guns that have a similar
    feel. Gary

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What's the trigger pull/let off difference between your Pgun and Bgun?

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Well thanks again to all you nice folks. I really appriciate all of your input. I'll keep you all posted on what's going on and what I learn while trying to get this #%&*()^$ thing to hit. Maybe it will help someone else. Again, I appriciate everyone's input and comments. Darn nice.... Mike...

12. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Several years ago I bought a Stainless BT-99 Plus from a guy who could not hit a barn with it. He had bought it new and shot about a 1000 rounds through it with total frustration.

I asked him if I could try it to see if I could figure out what was wrong. I told him it probably just needed some tweaking for his shooting style. He said he had adjusted the gun every way to Sunday and nothing worked and that if I could run a 25 with it the way it was "perfectly adjusted" he'd sell it to me for $100.....I ran the first 25 then a second and then a third. Needless to say, he actually sold me the gun for $100 (under much prodding from the shooters who witnessed his offer). I shot the gun very well and eventually went on to the big nam guns. I sold that gun to someone who couldn't shoot it who in turn sold to someone who couldn't shoot it.

Sometimes guns have a "personality" all of their own...

BTW....The first Ljutic (sn MOTT) that I owned was the same way....I couldn't shoot my own foot with the gun resting on it. Go figure. I sold it to someone who shoots it extremely well.

JMHO

Jim C

13. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

These SGs have totally different stocks, balance and pitch -- thus you may be mounting them differently giving you a different POI.

I went thru a painful and frustrating experience trying to get a JE Beretta 687 trap combo and my Guerini trap combo to have the same POA/POI. After months of effort, the patterning board said I was successful.

However, reality was that i could not achieve consistent scores with both. I gave one to my son...

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Other then POI, it could be the balance of the gun.

I had some guns patterned perfectly from the bench, but the swing was different from my usual guns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.