1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between PW 800 & 900 & 950

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bubba68, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Need a quick overview of the differences and pros/cons of the 800 series versus the 900 and 950 reloaders.

2. skeezix

skeezix Member

go to whiz's site - www.swsupply.com and look at his documents - there are a couple there that explain the differences.

The fundamental difference is the indexing system. The 900, 950, and 2000 machines index off of the center shaft. The 800 b, c, cvt, and + all have star gear indexing. The star gear is a bit more positive in its indexing, and it's a bit easier to change gauges as you can swap out the entire tool head.

John

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken (I'm no P-W expert), 800s and 900s have full-length dies while the 950 had shorter ones.

Ed

4. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Yeah, I did read the Whiz White site. Just not sure if those differences are really important.

I hope to hear from people actually using both models (I've had an 800+ for several years and cannot compare it to the 900/950). So, I really want real world differences and opinions.

Thanks.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Read this article by Whiz...

<I>Differences between the 800+ and the Platinum 2000 Loaders</I>

The differences explained here are the same as the differences between the 800 and the 900/950.

I own 1 800C; I prefer the indexing of the 800 but I prefer the better support the center shaft gives to the turret on my 900s.

All my 900s have been updated with the removable die system and the adjustable primer feed. I like the tube hoppers better than the jugs.

MK

6. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I have an 800+ and 4 900s. The biggest difference I have found is more in the newer removeable shell holders on the 800+. As far as ease of operation, turning out a nice shell, reliability no difference.

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The 800 Plus is the current production loader. It has removeable shell holders, external adjustable primer depth, EZ-FILL Hopper and removeable tool head.

The 800B and 800C are older loaders that do not have the features listed above.

The 900 is the older version of the Platinum 2000. It has the center post indexing system. Shell holders are not removeable. Does not have the EZ-FILL Hopper. Does not have the external adjustable primer depth.

The 950 is the 900 with the short shell holders (as opposed to the full length shell holders).

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

8. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

If I remember.....the 950, short length shell holder, not full length dies, also does NOT re size. No full length re size die ? Just shell holders. Thats what a friend of mine told me and he has the 950 and the handle was getting hard to work-he found out the machine was not re sizing and used his mec to re size and his trouble went away. He told me the 950 doesn't resize ?? I don't know for sure as I have the 900 and 800 plus.

crab

9. locdoc

locdoc Member

The 950 DOES resize but only at the deprime station.

All the machines with the full length dies hold the shell in a fully resized condition throughout the complete reloading operation. The hulls in a 950 might "wobble" as the cylinder indexes. You need to operate the 950 with a smoother gentler style. This is one reason there was never a 950 in .410. Just not enough base support.

Hope this helps.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

10. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Thanks Doug, thats interesting cause my buddy Pepper was told it does not and after he resized all the hulls on his mec,then ran them on the p-w 950 the hard pulling handle issue went away ? Not sure if his problem was on down stroke or upstroke but he called and talked to someone and was told it did not re size so I will pass your info on to him. I'll ask where he got his info next time I see him but I thought he did call P-W direct,could be wrong, but thanks again.
    Crab

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

P-W resizing rings are not the world standard for resizing efficiency especially on steel bases. The MEC does a better job and if it's set to resize to somewhere around .806"-.808", the hulls will pop right in to the P-W dies.

MK

12. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I have not heard back from Pepper yet-all I know is he had a re sizing problem to the point of the handle not working on his 950 without using so much force that he finally broke something from forcing it and when it was repaired the problem was the hulls were not re sized.Could be the re sizing station on the 950 -if it has one-was not working ? He resized on the mec then ran hulls through the 950 and they all loaded like new after that.More when I hear back from the Pepper.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

crab, I have a PW Platinum with shell holders and it does resize. I can't seat steel base Win Universal shells very well, they seem to use tuff steel. And can't seat them at all if they have been shot in an oversized chamber , you would tear it up trying. Steel base shells that have been shot in my gun will seat ok.

The only hull that comes lose in my shell holders is the old style AA. All the rest that I have used stay tight in the holder.

I think I have one of the last machines to be sold with shell holders. They may have been slapping high fives when I ordered it. I selected it because it was advertised as requiring less force to operate.

14. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I talked with Pepper and he said..... he was told that his 950 did not re size but he can't remember who told him, also said he thought it may have been Jim Cunningham but not sure and I know Jim so I sent him an email about it-Don't want to knock him in any way as I have dealt with Jim before and he was always a stand up guy so this is by no means a jab at him. I am still waiting to hear from Jim via his email.

Jerry P thanks for the info-is the platinum a 950 ? I was only talking about the 950 and did not know it came in Platinum,maybe it does.I think Pepper was reloading old style AA hulls when this happened.Shot all hulls in same k-80 unsingle barrel over a period of time and on reloading the handle was getting harder and harder to work until it came to a head. Now I can't say weather or not his gun had an oversized chamber or if it was worn ? No idea on that. Could have been a couple things lead up to it.

15. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I just heard back from Jim and I will try and paste it here below.........

The shell holders are not meant to resize the shells, what resizing they get on the 950 is done by the shroud on the de priming post, it only gets to the very top of the brass. That is why the same ammunition can't be reloaded nearly as often, once they expand (3 to 5 reloads) they "Stick" in the shell holders and are difficult to get out of the machine.
    Jim

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

crab, your friend may be right about the resizing. I just checked and the diameter is changed very little after going through the depriming die. I just assumed they were being resized at least some as it takes effort to seat the hull in the shell holders. Although I have never had trouble ejecting the shells after a number of reloads. I can use them until they are worn out. Brass hulls are never a problem to load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.